PDA

View Full Version : Questions, please help, philosophically what to do?

Gladtobemom
June 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm going to try to put recipes for hair and skin stuff in the recipe section. Then link to them from blogs or threads.
It seems like a good way.

Note that I am really bummed that in the archive, none of the links work. This made me initially lean toward putting all the recipes into my blog, that I back up.

For instance, I keep getting asked for the OCM recipes and Nanny's Airing powder--people were used to using the links in my journal, I guess.

Is it OK for me to put the Airing Powder recipe in the recipe section even though it's in the archive too?

And the OCM recipes, should I put them in the recipe section, or should I put them in the Beauty Bottle? Is it OK to link to a beauty bottle thread from here even though we're not supposed to "divert" people.

I spend way more time here, and we do discuss skin/hair/etc. right along with hair. Somtimes they are so intertwined that it's hard to separate them.
What should I do?

And for food recipes? Should I just keep them in my Blog? I'm only including things that are my own recipes and ones that are sort of family culture. Could we have a section in the Off topic area for food? Would that be something that would be good?

Should I do a thread for Nanny Pauline's kitchen witching recipes and keep them together, or should I do a separate thread for each of her hair recipes?

I'm so confused.

Positive notes: I really love the blog feedback. It's really nice to hear the comments. The categories on the blogs do give me a way to let people get to things fairly quickly.

I'm in a quandry? Is there a "guideline" somewhere?

Gothic Lolita
June 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm no administrator nor been here for a very long time but I don't think that anyone would have a problem if you posted the OCM recipes in the recipe section. There are some recipes which aren't really for hair but for skincare.
If it makes you more comfortable I'd ask an administrator.

Ursula
June 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
For hair-related recipes, I'd say that it is fine to repost them, even if they were in the archive. If it is a popular recipe, it may be worth writing an article, rather than doing a thread.

For food recipes, I'd say that your blog is fine, or to post them on the "what's for dinner" threads on days where you've made them. In your blog, maybe do a tag for "recipes", so that they can be found more easily.

Pointing to TBB seems fine to me, they are both Steph's sites.

I also don't see a problem in pointing someone outside LHC, if they've asked a question and there is an existing website or community dedicated to the issue. Both pointing them to online resources and suggesting real-world resources, such as community groups, government programs or charitable/volunteer organizations. LHC can't be everything for everyone, and one of the advantages of being on a large forum is that the people here not only have many answers, they also have the knowledge to point to other sources of information. Writing as if the rest of the internet, or the rest of the world, didn't exist as a resource, is just silly.

Flaxen
June 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I'm going to try to put recipes for hair and skin stuff in the recipe section. Then link to them from blogs or threads.
It seems like a good way.
That's sounds good. :smile:

Note that I am really bummed that in the archive, none of the links work. This made me initially lean toward putting all the recipes into my blog, that I back up.

For instance, I keep getting asked for the OCM recipes and Nanny's Airing powder--people were used to using the links in my journal, I guess.
You certainly may recreate any thread here that was originally started at the old site. Linking is OK, too, if you'd rather, and I think maybe the links to the old threads weren't working because they need to be changed to archive.longhaircommunity. com. For instance, here is Nanny Pauline's Airing Powder thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55674).

Is it OK for me to put the Airing Powder recipe in the recipe section even though it's in the archive too?
Yep. :flower:

And the OCM recipes, should I put them in the recipe section, or should I put them in the Beauty Bottle? Is it OK to link to a beauty bottle thread from here even though we're not supposed to "divert" people.
The Recipes Board is an "On topic" board and therefore hair oriented, so go ahead and put body and skin recipes on the Health and Body Beautiful board here, if you'd like. I think that's where LisaJaney's link to the deodorant recipes goes. Or, I don't see a problem with linking to TBB for skin care recipes if you'd rather do that. It is sometimes very quiet over there. :lol:

And for food recipes? Should I just keep them in my Blog? I'm only including things that are my own recipes and ones that are sort of family culture. Could we have a section in the Off topic area for food? Would that be something that would be good?
I think we're at our limit for sub sections, lol. There used to be some food recipe threads on the Friendship Board, or they might fit on the Health and Body Board. Or, you could start a Social Group for people to post their favorite recipes.

Should I do a thread for Nanny Pauline's kitchen witching recipes and keep them together, or should I do a separate thread for each of her hair recipes?
Personally, I think one Nanny Pauline thread would be wonderful - not simply because it would be more condensed, but rather because the stories you tell about her and her recipes are so rich that to have them in one place would make a magnificent thread. That's not an *official* opinion, so if you'd rather make more than one thread, go right ahead. :flower:

I'm so confused.
Mull it over for a while. The perfect arrangement will come to you. :grouphug: