PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my own rag curlers?

IvySchex
December 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hey, there, everybody!

Merry Christmas Eve!

I have never used rag curlers. I searched the forum, but couldn't find a thread that showed how to make them or use them.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Ivy

myria
December 24th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I have a set I made out of an old bedsheet about a year ago. I cut it into strips about 4inches wide and 15inches long (they're all slightly different) and hemmed them on a sewing machine to stop them unraveling. (you could skip this depending on the type of material)
You could make them thinner if you wanted tighter curls (mine are maybe an inch in diameter) and I made mine half as long as my hair was at the time so I has plenty of space to wrap them. They work pretty well for me.
Merry Christmas!

IvySchex
December 24th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Myria,

Thanks. How exactly do you use them?

Ivy

myria
December 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Start with your hair damp or if its dry spray it with some water/leave in. I think it depends on how thick it is and how long it takes to dry but mine needs to be at least 90% dry.
Divide hair into sections as you go (about 1-2inches), add aloe gel/something to help hold the curls if you want to. If you want ringlets rather than normal curls twist each section a bit, it seems to hold them together a bit better.
Take the centre of your rag and hold it against your head. Then take the section of hair and wind it around one half of the rag curler.
When you reach the end of your hair take the other half of the curler, the unwound bit and wind it round the other, wound bit to cover all your hair.
Tie the ends together or use one of the latex braid elastics of you have one.
Leave them in for as long as you can, at least 5/6 hours/overnight. They're pretty comfortable to sleep in, though anyone who sees you will fall over laughing :)
Oh and I need about 30 curlers to do my hair.