PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil & Vaseline has made my Eyelashes longer & thicker

Dreamkitty
December 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM
:) Just thought I would share my tip. Ive read that regular use of Olive Oil or Vaseline can be applied to eyelashes to promote new growth, make them longer or thicker. So I decided to try this out as EVOO is always in the kitchen and I use Vaseline always for my lips.

Ive been applying pure EVOO, washing it off and then putting Vaseline on my eyelashes, 4 days a week. I think its been 2 weeks now Ive been doing this.

My eyelashes feel so soft, thicker and longer even the days that I have not used oil or Vaseline. There is also some new growth of short eyelashes. When I applied the oil and Vaseline, I closed my eyelids and then massaged both all over the closed eye. It was easier that way and safer as I made sure none of it entered my eye. The most interesting part is that after putting EVOO in particular my eyelashes are growing on top of where I already have eyelashes if that makes any sense lol. They feel very full.

:D I am very pleased with the results as I asked my mum, if she notices any difference in my lashes, she thought I put on mascara. I don't know 100% for sure if this is temporary or whether the new growth is a result of the new treatment my eye is getting. But there is a major difference in my lashes compared to the normal lashes I had before so Im going to continue using both. Anyone tried this and had any sucess?

McFearless
December 24th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Thats great news, congrats! :)

SheaLynne
December 24th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Yea! That is great to hear...I've been reducing how often I wear mascara and using EVOO on my lashes instead, and I am noticing more length and fullness, too. I wasn't sure if it was the EVOO or just less wear-and-tear on the lashes from less mascara (though I didn't wear alot to start with!), so this makes me lean more toward the oil helping, as well.

Enjoy!

Kallenie
December 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Huh! This is interesting! I may have to give it a try, thanks!

naushin83
December 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
awesome... need to try this :D
wow so many tips i m gettin frm here
thnx frnds :)

Lianna
December 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I've tried this long ago, but the olive oil stings my eyes (pretty much any cream too). I'm glad you saw results, though! :)

Kaya
December 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM
That is awesome that you are getting such fabulous results! :)

If I may make a suggestion? You said that you massage the oil and Vaseline onto the closed eye. Since the skin around and on the eye are so delicate and you don't want to damage it, maybe you could try applying both with clean mascara brushes. That way you can target the lashes themselves. If they behave anything like the hair on your head, they should soak in all the goodness.

I'm actually thinking about trying this with my lashes and the mascara brush idea hit me like a freakin' truck, so I wanted share it with the lovely ladies here!

christine1989
December 24th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I always thought that the vaseline on eyelashes thing was a myth but I guess something about it encourages growth. If my lashes were any longer I would be afraid I couldn't see but it sounds like a good treatment for all of the dry skin I have near my eyes this winter.

Uni&Corn
December 24th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Cool! I'll try this tonight. The mascara brush is a good idea too

Pifkin
December 25th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Castor oil did this for me. :)

ravenreed
December 25th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Same here. I use a mix of castor oil and grapeseed oil as facial moisturizer and makeup remover. I also use it for OCM. I make sure to coat my eyelashes and have had good results. That was one reason I started using the occasional castor oil oiling on my scalp.

Castor oil did this for me. :)

nereida
December 25th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Here, in Poland a lot of women use castor oil, I've also tried, it helps :) I was using for it my old, cleaned mascara brush and before I had fell asleep I was applying lavish amount of this oil, but after some weeks my eyes were red and I stopped doing this. Now I am trying with coconut oil - when I put some along my hair, always small amount of it stays on my palms so I put it on my face and neck to moisturise it. I've been practising it for one week now so we will see if it helps.

Melisande
December 25th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I've been using the old mascara brush and a combination of oils for years. It does work but there is a natural limit. My lashes are sparse and with all the good care, they will never be thump-worthy. At best, I can prevent them from breaking and encourage them to grow as nicely as they can....

The skin around my eyes also gets the oil treatment. I use only oils on my ageing skin and so far, it's been a great change (it's around two years that I switched from commercial moisturizers to a combination of natural oils).

I keep the oil and brush next to my bed so I can put it on while reading pre-sleep. That's when I apply the last layer of oils on my hair, face and scalp, too. Good thing I like to read a lot before falling asleep LOL....

Dreamkitty
December 25th, 2010, 05:40 AM
:) Im glad it is working for others as well, I would definetly recommend trying it out. Use good quality oil whichever one you choose.

I just gently apply the oil over the closed eye. It doesn't matter if its messy because you can wash it off, plus EVOO is great for the skin too, so that will be another benefit. I don't have any mascara at the moment but that sounds like a good tip, targetting each indivudal eyelash. I will try this with a Q tip.

:D I was going to take a pic of my eyelashes to show what I mean, after a few more treatments I will try posting one to show my overall results.

naturegirl321
December 25th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I've heard about this before, but HOW does it actually make your lashes longer and thicker??

Lemur_Catta
December 25th, 2010, 08:56 AM
You know, I don't think applying it with a mascara brush can have a real effect on the growth because you would reach the lashes, not the actual follicles. Applying with closed eyes on the skin would be more effective.
On the other hand, since many oils are known to darken hair, I think the most visible effect is given from the fact that oils (castor, olive, etc) darken the tip of the lash, the part that is usually transparent, just like mascara does, this is permanent.

Uni&Corn
December 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
So I tried this and it really works! I've only done it for two nights so far, but I can already tell the difference. My top and bottom lashes are noticeably longer that they kind of curl on their own without me having to use an eyelash curler. Great! Can't wait to see what they look like in a couple of weeks :D
Oh and I used olive oil, not caster oil, just because I had it in my kitchen.

longlockenvy
December 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I never thought of doing this! I think I'll try this out tonight! Thanks for the tips!

daaisychains
December 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Just applied some sunflower oil for the first time there ( my dad used up the last of the EVOO making Christmas dinner..) so until then i'll stick with this.

I hope it works just as well. Don't fancy switching too the coconut oil just yet, or my hair will get jealous. :P

girlthursday
December 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Oh man! I don't like wearing mascara but I do wish that my eyelashes were a bit darker and thicker. Thanks for this awesome tip! I'm going to try it for the next week or so and I'll report back.

Please do put pictures up!

dainaleeo2
December 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM
that's interesting! i wonder if they use any of that in the lash grow formulas or whatever they have out now. they should! :)
i use jojoba oil as a makeup remover & have noticed similar effects from that. not really longer, but softer, & better growth [since i tend to have them fall out at times]. i think EVOO is too oily for my eye area but that's great that it works for you! :)

Timkerbelle
December 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I use coconut oil on my lashes and have also noticed that they are thicker, longer and darker. I love the smell and frankly I would prefer using coconut oil over a petroleum product.