PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! I cut my finger while self-trimming :(

ericthegreat
December 24th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I just accidently cut my pointy finger while self-trimming just now. :(
I wanted to give my ends a fresh new look before Christmas tomorrow so I decided to give myself a half inch self trim this morning. Anywho just while I was finishing up the last front section, I became too careless and cut too deeply. I made a straight gash about 3/4th of an inch long into the inside of my pointy finger, you know the portion you would hold with your middle finger to hold your hair. :(

So anyway, this goes without saying of course but BE CAREFUL all you self-trimmers and S&Ders. Make sure you don't lose focus while trimming and in case you do, make sure to have band-aids on stand by. :p

naushin83
December 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Oucchhhhh !!
be careful from next time :)

Shorty89
December 24th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Ouch! I'm glad there was no serious injury!

ravenreed
December 24th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I learned my lesson long ago with my sewing scissors. I managed to cut through the webbing between my thumb and forefinger! I also managed to bleed all over what I was going to sew. We love our sharp scissors because they are so sharp, but we forget that they are just two little knives on a hinge. Well, thanks for the reminder, Eric.

lapushka
December 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Be careful next time! Hope your finger heals up quickly. :flower:

These things always happen right before important days, or events, when you want to be extra careful with your hair, right? :lol: Yesterday during an S&D session open scissors (Japanese steel) went razoring over my hair. Never have someone section your hair while still holding scissors. It was a chunk of about 20 hairs, roughly, 4 inches long, out of the side of my hair. Oh well... It's just hair. Fingers are way more precious!

Anywhere
December 24th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Thank you for the reminder. Hope your finger heals quickly.

I cut my finger with scissors once, not cutting hair but cutting paper in art class for a collage. It didn't hurt, but i felt that it wasn't paper that had just been cut. The blood was disguised by all the glue/charcoal that was coating my fingers. Scissors are dangerous! :scissors:

spidermom
December 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM
That sounds like something I would do, although I haven't. Yet.

bunzfan
December 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Thats very sore i did that when first cutting hair as a apprentice, then managed to get hairs in it to:(

luxepiggy
December 24th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Ouch!!! Hope it heals quickly!! (>(oo)<)`

enfys
December 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Ouch! I was thinking of doing my January trim early, but I think I'll wait now!

I hope your finger doesn't stop you opening your pressies tomorrow ;)

pepperminttea
December 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Eesh, that sounds painful! Thanks for the warning - I nearly caught myself last time I trimmed, but ended up trimming my nail by accident, so at least it didn't hurt. :)

WaitingSoLong
December 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
ERIC! Just stop trimming and that will solve it ;o) Hope it heals well.

jaine
December 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Oh no, I've done that before too!! Hopefully the cut will heal quickly, and your beautiful hair will thank you for using such a sharp pair of scissors!!!

jeanniet
December 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I did that when I dusted at the beginning of this month. Just snipped a bit of my finger, but it bled like crazy. What does it say about me that I was more worried that I might have dulled my scissors a bit than about the state of my finger? :p

joiekimochi
December 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM
*sends magic healing dust across the interwebs*

Be careful next time!!!

christine1989
December 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Ouch! That sounds painful. But look at the bright side; at least you know your scissors aren't dull ;).

Arctic_Mama
December 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I've sliced myself badly as well, it's so easy to do with those super sharp shears.

ericthegreat
December 24th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I learned my lesson long ago with my sewing scissors. I managed to cut through the webbing between my thumb and forefinger! I also managed to bleed all over what I was going to sew. We love our sharp scissors because they are so sharp, but we forget that they are just two little knives on a hinge. Well, thanks for the reminder, Eric.

I'm wincing just by imagining what that must have been like. I'm glad you eventually healed up.

Be careful next time! Hope your finger heals up quickly. :flower:

These things always happen right before important days, or events, when you want to be extra careful with your hair, right? :lol: Yesterday during an S&D session open scissors (Japanese steel) went razoring over my hair. Never have someone section your hair while still holding scissors. It was a chunk of about 20 hairs, roughly, 4 inches long, out of the side of my hair. Oh well... It's just hair. Fingers are way more precious!

I agree. Hair has no life to it anymore. But a finger or a hand full of pulsating blood? I'd lose those few hairs as well.

That sounds like something I would do, although I haven't. Yet.

Let's hope I didn't jinx you with this thread!! :couch:

ericthegreat
December 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Ouch!!! Hope it heals quickly!! (>(oo)<)`

Eesh, that sounds painful! Thanks for the warning - I nearly caught myself last time I trimmed, but ended up trimming my nail by accident, so at least it didn't hurt. :)

Oh no, I've done that before too!! Hopefully the cut will heal quickly, and your beautiful hair will thank you for using such a sharp pair of scissors!!!

I did that when I dusted at the beginning of this month. Just snipped a bit of my finger, but it bled like crazy. What does it say about me that I was more worried that I might have dulled my scissors a bit than about the state of my finger? :p

*sends magic healing dust across the interwebs*

Be careful next time!!!

I've sliced myself badly as well, it's so easy to do with those super sharp shears.

Its good to know that I'm not the only one who's accidently cut themselves. We all need to be more careful with our scissors..............they're capable of cutting far more than just our hair!! shudder:

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. :grouphug:

Jessica Trapp
December 24th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Ouch!

:hugs:

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 12:41 AM
OUCH! i cut myself today too :( not on hair trimming though. i was cleaning out my car and my finger found a razer under the seat. OUCH!

kwaniesiam
December 25th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Ouch! I always have to fight the urge to cut past the second knuckle when cutting.

I will never forget my first client on the floor that wasn't a friend or relative in beauty school. I sliced my finger badly with my scissors, it didn't hurt but it bled everywhere :wail: What a great introduction to having clients :rolleyes:

Dragon
December 25th, 2010, 01:24 AM
That must have hurt. I have almost done this not so long ago while S&D. I had been awake for over 48 hours and started dosing off while doing it. So another warning, don’t do it when over tired.

UltraBella
December 25th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Ya, well I almost cut my HAIR off while wrapping Christmas presents. I was cutting the wrapping paper, my hair was down and I leaned my head to the left and my hair fell over my shoulder right as I cut. It was so close to a six inch oops I nearly hyperventilated !!!!!!!!!

Wanderer09
December 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I've cut my hand when I was shaping my fringe with thinning shears. Thought I was the only one!

deko
December 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I just did the very same thing last week.

I was just cutting some mild layers to my hair and the scissors slipped and I cut some thumb as well. Blood everywhere! Hair turned up nice and I get rid of the winter tangles without shortening the lenght.

But my main consern is:

Shoud I buy new hair scissors? I know you shoud not cut anything but the hair with the hair scissors, did I blunt them by cutting my thumb? (some priorities...)

Wanderer09
December 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
lol, I love your priorities deko. :p I think the scissors should be fine. It was only one slice, it's not like you were repeatedly cutting paper or something with them :)

yellowchariot
December 25th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I made a straight gash about 3/4th of an inch long into the inside of my pointy finger

^ Eric, I know I'm a day late, but I was about to say, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE ER! At first, when what you had wrote, I thought that you actually cut 3/4" DEEP. I was about to say, you need stitches, Man! GO! GO! :D

It's a good thing it wasn't very serious.

DARKMARTIAN
December 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Finger cuts really suck. Sorry to hear about that ETG.....

I cut my finger de-veining shrimp one time at a Japanese teppanyaki place I used to be a sous chef at. Now my left middle finger looks like it had a c-section.

(yes i threw out that batch of shrimp)...:p

ericthegreat
December 26th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Ouch! I always have to fight the urge to cut past the second knuckle when cutting.

I will never forget my first client on the floor that wasn't a friend or relative in beauty school. I sliced my finger badly with my scissors, it didn't hurt but it bled everywhere :wail: What a great introduction to having clients :rolleyes:

Ya, well I almost cut my HAIR off while wrapping Christmas presents. I was cutting the wrapping osprey, my hair was down and I leaned my head to the left and my hair fell over my shoulder right as I cut. It was so close to a six inch oops I nearly hyperventilated !!!!!!!!!

I've cut my hand when I was shaping my fringe with thinning shears. Thought I was the only one!

I just did the very same thing last week.

I was just cutting some mild layers to my hair and the scissors slipped and I cut some thumb as well. Blood everywhere! Hair turned up nice and I get rid of the winter tangles without shortening the lenght.

But my main consern is:

Shoud I buy new hair scissors? I know you shoud not cut anything but the hair with the hair scissors, did I blunt them by cutting my thumb? (some priorities...)

I think we all (myself included! :D) need to take a trip back to kindergarten class. "Remember kids, scissors are very sharp. Be careful not to........Tommy get back in your seat right this instant!!! Didn't I just tell you five minutes ago NOT to run around with scissors!!!!!!!!!!!" :rollin:

^ Eric, I know I'm a day late, but I was about to say, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE ER! At first, when what you had wrote, I thought that you actually cut 3/4" DEEP. I was about to say, you need stitches, Man! GO! GO! :D

It's a good thing it wasn't very serious.

3/4 of an inch deep? LOL it was a pair of haircutting scissors, not a samurai sword!!:D

The cut was a little more than 3/4th of an inch long but it wasn't that deep. I bled like a MF but its nothing that a band-aid couldn't cure.

Finger cuts really suck. Sorry to hear about that ETG.....

I cut my finger de-veining shrimp one time at a Japanese teppanyaki place I used to be a sous chef at. Now my left middle finger looks like it had a c-section.

(yes i threw out that batch of shrimp)...:p

Yeeeesh!!!!! shudder: I know how dangerous butcher knives and the like can be so I can imagine how bad that cut must have been. Good thing you didn't slice your finger off!!

On a side note, I :heartbeat:heartbeat shrimp. Especially sauteed with butter and garlic!!

Speckla
December 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Eric,
How's your finger feeling?? I'm good about cutting myself with steak knives. I always end up hitting my fingernails. That's how I end up with 9 long nails and 1 nub. :(

Alvrodul
December 26th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Ouch! I have been there - though not while trimming hair, admittedly. But while cutting other things, yes. like fabric. With scissors, and just before Christmas I got a reminder that rotary cutters are also sharp!
And the kitchen is a dangerous place, too. I have on occasion cut myself while cooking - and also burnt myself. :(:eek:

ericthegreat
December 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM
My finger has healed up somewhat thanks for asking Speckla. :) The cut is still there, but the red line has sealed up. My finger is still a but sore so I have to hold it stiff while doing my day to day things but its nothing that a few days won't fix. :)

Dragon
December 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Glad it’s getting better :)