PDA

View Full Version : Oiling routine: am I weird?

Kaya
December 23rd, 2010, 07:20 PM
So, I've read so many oil-related threads where solid oils are used and a fingernail-size amount is the norm.
Well, I must be weird cause that isn't even remotely what I do. :ponder: All my oils are bottled and are 100% coconut oil. When I oil my hair, which is usually daily, I just plunk the bottle in a glass of hot water to melt the oil.
At that point, I don't really measure out how much oil I use. For daily, light oiling it might be 8 to 10 drops for the length of my hair, and a few more for the scalp area. I always work the oil into the depths of my hair, and massage my scalp as well.
On heavy oiling days, there isn't a drop count. I simple use however much oil I feel like using to get to the point I want. Mind you, heavy oiling to me isn't dripping, simply ultra greasy and piece-y looking.
So, am I weird for using so much oil? I'm always a little embarassed when I read how only a fingernail scraping-worth of oil is used. :uhh:

Oh, and I was wondering, has anyone ever entertained the idea of using a glass dropper to measure out liquid oil? My brahmi oil bottle doesn't have any sort of secure top on it. You simply unscrew the cap and pray that you don't knock the entire bottle over and dye your carpet green! :scared:

Anywhere
December 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Funny, I was thinking about this too.

I just bought my first jar of coconut oil. A fingernail scraping isnt nearly enough to make my hair happy, I used a good dime or two sized amount today. Glad to know I'm not the only one who "over-oils", so to speak. We're not weird, just different. :)

ETA: As for measuring my liquid oil out, I put my EVOO in a clean, empty pump bottle that used to have a serum in it. That way I get the same amount each time I need my oil.

Kaijah
December 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
I think most people recommend starting with that "fingernail scraping" because it's easier to add oil than to take it away. I mean.. I think they don't want to scare new people away by telling them to use a big glop of oil, and then having them have huge issues with over oiled hair that won't come clean.

Though for me, that fingernail scraping was never enough. I was like I did nothing to my hair at all. I use probably a dime sized chunk of coconut oil as a leave in, plus a few drops of almond oil. My version of deep oiling pretty much goes "make it look like I haven't washed in 6 months." :D

I'm too lazy to heat and liquefy my coconut oil all the time, so I don't really use a dropper. I know I've seen a few people talk about buying those little amber glass cosmetic bottles with the droppers for easier use though.

Pifkin
December 23rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
I use a ton of oil - about a dime size 2-3 times throughout the day. My hair seems to eat that stuff up... I think it's impossible for me to over-oil.

lacefrost
December 23rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Man maybe I need to get on that coconut oil. My hair loves oils but it doesn't really soak olive oil up that much.

eezepeeze
December 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
My hair is like an oil sponge, it just soaks that stuff in. Even though I've switched to olive oil, when I used (and still sometimes do use) coconut regularly, a fingernail scraping was enough for, like, one curl. To do my whole head for a pre-wash treatment, I probably used a couple of tablespoons, or about one and half golf ball sized glob.

Now that I use the olive oil, every night I use just about a dime-sized amount for all my ends, and about 3 tablespoons for my whole head.

Copasetic
December 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
I am the same way. I don't get how people can get away with using a finger nail full of oil. I use a finger to scoop out a big chunk, warm it in my hands to put it on my hair, and then maybe add more if I think I need it.

prosperina
December 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
You're not at all weird. I definitely use more than a fingernail scraping. Even for just oiling my ends. And if I'm doing an overnight oil or wearing my hair up for the day with oil in the ends it's probably a couple of handfuls.

pepperminttea
December 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I definitely use more than recommended, my ends particularly just drink it all in. My coconut oil lives in a tub, but I use a glass dropper with some of my liquid oils. I find it really helpful for not tipping into the 'too much oil' range.

Elenna
December 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
It depends whether you are pre-oiling, using oil shampoo or after-oiling too. I've used bottles & bottles of coconut oil, jojoba oil, etc. Never thought that I'd be dunking my hair in so much oil! It works though.

Lianna
December 23rd, 2010, 09:42 PM
I think I use just the same as you. My "fingernail" is quite full, I would take a picture but it's so hot in here (summer) that the oil is liquid at the moment.

monsterna
December 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
I just stick a few fingers in the jar and rub the oil to melt it if it isn't already, and then I just distribute that much on my ends and length. I add more if necessary. Do what you feel is good for you; no need to worry about exact measurements.

lippleyluv
December 23rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
ETA: As for measuring my liquid oil out, I put my EVOO in a clean, empty pump bottle that used to have a serum in it. That way I get the same amount each time I need my oil.[/quote]

Why didn't I ever think of this ^^!! :thumbsup:

Lol, I use a ton of oil too. My hair just soaks it up, and then asks for more.

teela1978
December 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
I think the theory is more "a fingernail full at a time" than "a fingernail full total". Its awfully easy to over-oil... at least it is for me :)

longlockenvy
December 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
I had no idea that people oiled their hair till about a week ago. I always wondered about it, but never knew it was safe for hair! Now that I have started doing it, my hair has improved tons! I'm still learning about what is good for my hair, and just purchased rosemary oil, and cedarwood oil, and coconut oil. While I wait for those to arrive, I am testing out EVOO, and my hair seems to like it in this winter weather.

McFearless
December 23rd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Man maybe I need to get on that coconut oil. My hair loves oils but it doesn't really soak olive oil up that much.

Try oiling damp hair. By the time your hair is dry the oil should soak in.

To the OP it all depends on how thick the hair is and the hair type. 1a fine hair doesn't need much oil and can look greasy. Curlier hair can get away with more oil.

longlockenvy
December 23rd, 2010, 11:59 PM
Has anyone here ever tried adding a drop of rosemary oil and cedarwood oil at the same time to their coconut oil before applying it to your hair? I've never added anything to my oil, and I dont know if I should use one addition at a time, or if it's ok to add both to the coconut?

emmebean
December 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
We use alot of oil in our house! Coconut oil, I use at least 2 grape sized amounts for Emme's hair and for Bean and I a blueberry sized amount works.
I don't measure my jojoba though, I keep a small amount in a small bottle, so if it tips I don't loose too much. If I pour too much out, I just rub the extra into my hands/elbows and whoever is near me :)

BunnyBee
December 24th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I think it depends on your hair type. Curlies can get away with using much more. My hair is stick straight and not particularly thick so if I use too much it just looks greasy. I just use enough to detangle except before a wash, then I can go to town with it lol

Ishje
December 24th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I think it depends on your hair type. Curlies can get away with using much more. My hair is stick straight and not particularly thick so if I use too much it just looks greasy. I just use enough to detangle except before a wash, then I can go to town with it lol

that is what I wanted to say as well, I would think it depends on the thickness of your hair.
I can't do with a fingertip either, on the other hand, I have really small fingers, maybe I would be able to do it with a fingertip the size of my lovers fingers XD

same thing goes for people who say you should use shampoo amount to the size of a coin, that really is not enough for me :)

bunzfan
December 24th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I just love oils my new routine has been to oil daily with caster oil and then braid. My hair certainly loves it as wavy hair can get very dry.

Alvrodul
December 24th, 2010, 03:24 AM
My hair also loves oil - just slurps up that coconut oil! And as a straightie, my hair !should! not love oil that much, according to conventional wisdom. But I have noticed that it is particularly the ends that are the most thirsty parts - probably because my ends still have chemical damage.

leslissocool
December 24th, 2010, 03:27 AM
:bigeyes:I do at least 1/3 of a cup!! When I read people oiling their hair with drops, I always thought of leave in oil.

I use leave in conditioners, so what I like to do with coconut oil is damp my hair, and literally get a tea cup and put A LOT of oil in it, heat it in the microwave (like 35 seconds) and then deep my hair in the oil! It doesn't run for me, but my hair is charged with oil until it cannot hold any more. After I put a heat pad and a towel over it, and sleep on it (with heat, usually 5 hours or less since I have babies).

The next day I shampoo my hair really well, I use really warm water, and then I condition it. My hair looks unbelievable after! My hair soaks up the oil, and what it doesn't i wash it off with shampoo.

I thought that's what you are actually supposed to do for a deep conditioning treatment... I literally put as much oil on as I use conditioner so I can cover my whole head...

Cupofmilk
December 24th, 2010, 06:27 AM
In this cold weather (been as low as -16 in the UK and we are not geared up for it) - Ihave used olive oil as my cocnut will not warm enough. I use a lot of oil - coconut oil when solid probably the size of 2-3 conkers.

virgo75
December 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM
It makes sense to use oil however your hair sees fit. :)

My hair can take quite a bit of coconut oil and olive oil, but jojoba oil can make it look oily with only a small amount. For "treatments" my favorite is coconut oil or coconut oil mixed with olive oil. As a leave-in, jojoba oil is my favorite because it detangles like nobody's business and lets my hair stay detangled all day. :cheese:

And I don't scrape mine out of the jar.

What I do is rinse out an empty plastic bottle(usually an old dishwashing liquid bottle) and let it air dry. Then I melt down the coconut oil and pour in enough to fill the bottle up half way.

I keep the plastic bottle in the bathroom and the jar in the kitchen. That way when I want to use the coconut oil I can just throw the plastic bottle in a large cup of hot water and it melts fairly easily. I can also pour it out drop by drop because of the spout opening on the dishwashing liquid bottle which is meant to dispense liquid -or- I pour it directly onto my scalp for a heavy oiling. I use the same type of bottle for my olive oil as well. Works great and I don't have to worry about it breaking. :thumbsup:

Capybara
December 24th, 2010, 07:04 AM
When I do my daily oiling, I use about a teaspoon of oil. But for a deep oiling, I'd use about two-three tablespoons. A fingernail scraping was never enough :)

EmiliaF
December 24th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I started with using avocado oil for my hair a few years ago. I applied at least half a cup... it wasn't dripping but certainly extremely oily and I used it as a deep-treatment over night and washed it out with normal shampoo in the morning (this was when I didn't know LHC yet and was desperately trying anything I came across). Back then I thought it worked, but now in retrospect I have to say it wasn't actually doing anything visible or 'feel-able'...

Then I used some Jojoba oil (just a few drops for my length) a few weeks ago which made my hair seem even more tangled and really dry (which was quite an accomplishment).

Then I kept reading all the great posts here and discovered coconut oil. I only use 1-2 fingernails to a teaspoon (depending on whether I want to leave my hair down or wear it in a bun). It works WONDERS. My hair is buttery-soft (without the buttery look ;)). I never thought my hair could be like that. It's amazing.
And even if I use a little too much in the morning it is all soaked up 3-4 hours later, so I can still wear my hair down in the afternoon without it looking oily... :)

Then I read even more and discovered castor oil. That one I use as an overnight-treatment (half a cup) and wash it out in the morning (takes 2-3x CO to get it out), but it's amazing as well.

Coconut oil and castor oil together made my hair go from frizzy, strawy mess to shiny, soft, amazing hair in less than a week.

So my main point is that the amount I use depends on the type of oil and what I want to achieve (deep-treatment vs. leave-in)