PDA

View Full Version : I got my hair straightened

mwedzi
December 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
For the first time in 8 years. And got a real trim for the first time in that long, too, since I always did it myself. She cut off a little over an inch. It's quite the story, actually, but you all probably don't care about all that, so I'll just show pictures. I do have to say that my stylist, Reniece (who worked with my hair for free because she wanted more practice with long natural hair), is the best stylist in the history of ever. I am so tenderheaded and my hair is so tangly that I usually am in terrible pain for a salon visit. But she was so skilled, extraordinarily patient, willing to listen, just everything you ever wanted in a stylist.

Okay, now for the pictures. This is the length check:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Hair%202010/aNMwedzi_Hair007-2-1.jpg

After the length check, she put curls in it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Hair%202010/Still10a-1.jpg

From the front:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Hair%202010/Still5a-1.jpg

And she directed me to shake it for a promo video she's making of all her clients. They all come out with gorgeous hair. But I am not used to straight hair, so my shake was awkward. But I tried.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Hair%202010/Still14a-1.jpg

And check out the comparison photo of MBL shrunken versus MBL straightened hair.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Hair%202010/shrunkenAndStraightened.jpg

Thanks for looking!

cindy58
December 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Ooh -- it looks great! And what a nice treat for you that it was free!

The shrinkage images are wild too -- I wouldn't have guessed it took up so much length!

vanity_acefake
December 23rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
Wow your hair looks amazing. Both straightened and unstraightened. And the curls are lovely.

Nae
December 23rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Wow! Your hair is really amazingly beautiful. You are at such a nice length even after the trim. I really like your dark hair against the pretty pink sweater.

It is fun to see the difference between the straightened and non straightened hair. I love them both. It is just astounding how much length your beautiful curl eats up. I still think I like all your fancy updos best, I have always really enjoyed looking at all your hair toys!

Great job on some healthy hair!!!:bowtome:

Arya
December 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Wow! Gorgeous hair, both ways! And so thick! Really beautiful. ^__^

MissCharizard
December 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Your hair is very beautiful! So healthy and thick. Looks really great, I love to see long untreated ethnic hair, it's really a rare sight.

Emerald88
December 23rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
You are very pretty and your hair looks beautiful both ways. It's crazy how much your curls shrink up!

luxepiggy
December 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Wow! I had no idea how much length curls can hide (*(oo)*)

EmiliaF
December 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
It looks amazing... both straightened and curly... WOOOOOOW

pepperminttea
December 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
She did a lovely job, and my goodness, the shrinkage! That's incredible!

manderly
December 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Your hair looks amazing!! You have taken excellent care of it :)

kschr2004
December 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM
Wow! Your hair is beautiful both ways. :)

ancilla
December 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Wow, your hair is GORGEOUS!
I bet that keeping it in buns combats the shrinkage?

naushin83
December 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
so beautiful n amazin !!

Heartwillfollow
December 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
You and your hair :) looke stunning !!!!!

triumphator!
December 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
What a wonderful job she did! Your hair. is. incredible. It must be amazing having it.

mwedzi
December 23rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Thank you all for the lovely comments. :D

Wow, your hair is GORGEOUS!
I bet that keeping it in buns combats the shrinkage?

Thank you! After washing, I always twist it or blow dry. I let my hair shrink up maybe once or twice a year, if that much. Shrinking fully causes tangles, so I don't wear my hair like that.

DreadfulWoman
December 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
The before and after are both completely amazing. You have some beautiful hair!

Anywhere
December 23rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Your hair is so thick, I love it. :D

Who would have thought that all that hair can shrink so much! You have beautiful hair. :)

Nyghtingale
December 23rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Your hair is amazing! so full and shiney.

prosperina
December 23rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Very pretty! :)

arc691
December 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
It looks terrific!

ravenreed
December 23rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
Oh my. I can see why people get tempted to straighten, that shrinkage is insane. Well, your hair looks lovely in either direction and all points in between. I bet it is nice to see how long your hair really is, even if it is only once in a while.

lacefrost
December 23rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Your hair makes me look so forward to MBL. I always get scared that my hair isn't actually growing because when it shrinks up it looks the same as it did like a year ago but your cute afro makes me believe otherwise. Thank you for posting!

jasper
December 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
You and your hair are beautiful.

MandaMom2Three
December 23rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
:thud: That is AMAZING!!

aimison
December 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Your hair (and you) look lovely!

melrose1985
December 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
I like you hair both ways but it's so crazy that it really shrinks that much!

xpeacelovekoala
December 23rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
You and your hair are beautiful curly and straight. :)

jeanniet
December 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Really beautiful hair, Mwedzi. The straightened/shrinkage pictures are amazing!

GeeLove
December 23rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Mwedzi, I stan for your hair.

CurlyTresses
December 23rd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Really beautiful results. Love your hair, both curly and straightened. Also liking that lovely pink sweater. :):)

ericthegreat
December 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
I have always been facinated how type 4 hair can make such a total transformation when straightened. You have such wonderful hair, both in its natural state and when its straightened out.

Demetrue
December 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Wow - it looks amazing!

christine1989
December 23rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
Your hair looks just fantastic in all of your pictures! :)

nowxisxforever
December 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
So pretty! I love both your natural and straightened looks.

30isthenewblack
December 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
How gorgeous are you and your hair :thud: I love your hair both ways. And I thought I had shrinkage!!!

principesse
December 23rd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Wow, your hair looks lovely, healthy and thick either way :)

Avital88
December 24th, 2010, 01:58 AM
You have amazing hair and what a big difference curly and straight!

Meridon
December 24th, 2010, 03:55 AM
You have amazing hair! I, too, am amazed at the shrinkage, but I gotta say it looks great like that :D

Dragon
December 24th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Looks great :)

lapushka
December 24th, 2010, 04:51 AM
You've got amazingly thick hair. The comparison shot, wow! Is it really the same length?

PrincessBob
December 24th, 2010, 04:59 AM
You are quite lovely. I am so glad you found a stylist who worked so well with your lovely hair, and was gentle on your tender scalp.

greenwood2010
December 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
What an accomplishment to grow your hair that long! Keep up the good work.

What type of braids are those in your profile picture? Did you braid your hair yourself?

enfys
December 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
You and your hair both look beautiful, and I love your hemline!

TrudieCat
December 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Your hair is always astoundingly beautiful, however you wear it!! :)

mslala
December 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Ok Girl now I"m stalking you over here too. :rolleyes: The length is just wow! What are you doing to care for your ends, that's my biggest issue.

Sunsailing
December 24th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Simply gorgeous!! (Such volume!)

mwedzi
December 25th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Thank you, everyone, and Merry Christmas!

Oh my. I can see why people get tempted to straighten, that shrinkage is insane. Well, your hair looks lovely in either direction and all points in between. I bet it is nice to see how long your hair really is, even if it is only once in a while.

It is nice. This is the first time I've seen my hair straight since 2002, and it's already reverted a little. I keep looking at the picture, and it doesn't look like "me."

Your hair makes me look so forward to MBL. I always get scared that my hair isn't actually growing because when it shrinks up it looks the same as it did like a year ago but your cute afro makes me believe otherwise. Thank you for posting!

Thank you. Yeah, my hair barely budges. This is SL:
http://public.fotki.com/mwedzi/2007-and-before/2007-hair-1/washgofro2.html
This is APL:
http://public.fotki.com/mwedzi/2008/2008julythroughdecember/washgoaug0081.html
This is BSL:
http://public.fotki.com/mwedzi/2009/2009-january-june/may09washandgo.html
And the original post is MBL!

Mwedzi, I stan for your hair.

:eek: Thank you.

Really beautiful results. Love your hair, both curly and straightened. Also liking that lovely pink sweater. :):)

Thank you. It's a dress, actually. $19.99 at Ross. :cheese:

I have always been facinated how type 4 hair can make such a total transformation when straightened. You have such wonderful hair, both in its natural state and when its straightened out.

Thank you. It amazes me sometimes, too!

You've got amazingly thick hair. The comparison shot, wow! Is it really the same length?

I think so. The shrunken shot is from this summer, and I was MBL then, too. It's hard for me to retain length, my hair breaks a lot. And she cut a bit when I got it straightened, so it's back to pretty much the same length.

What an accomplishment to grow your hair that long! Keep up the good work.

What type of braids are those in your profile picture? Did you braid your hair yourself?

Thank you. Those are 2-strand twists. I'm not sure, but I think you all call them "rope braids." Yes, I do them myself.

You and your hair both look beautiful, and I love your hemline!

Thank you. You can always tell someone who's gone to this stylist because the photos and hemlines are always so perfect (she mostly does weaves, but with the goal of bettering the client's own hair. I've never had a weave, though):
http://www.reniece.com/healthyhair.html

Ok Girl now I"m stalking you over here too. :rolleyes: The length is just wow! What are you doing to care for your ends, that's my biggest issue.

Haha, hi Mslala. I don't think I do anything in particular. I guess I wear buns most of the time. And I coat the ends with oil regularly. That's about it. Though you can't tell from the picture, my hair really could do with another 1/2" trimmed.

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Wow looks great! i'm happy you found a great stylist!

lupiae
December 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Great! But do not exagerate to do not damage your nice hair

PurpleAshes
December 27th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Your hair looks amazingly healthy straightened! But I do have to say, I prefer your beautiful curls :blossom:

catspank
December 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM
You and your hair are both gorgeous :)

Hmmm, you probably need some new hairtoys to accommodate your new style ... :eyebrows:

Hana
December 27th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Wow.
Im impressed! Looks so different, yet both are lovely.

MilknHoney
December 27th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Oh my - that is beautiful! Lovely hair, and you've clearly found a treasure in your hairdresser as well :)

uwsbottleblonde
December 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM
OMG, I love it both ways...I am so encouraged to continue my hair health journey!