PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up.

motormuffin
December 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
What do you do to keep control over the cleanliness of your shed hairs? My husband likes my long hair but teases constantly about the shedding. He says he's going to knit me a sweater out of the hair on the floor. It ends up in the strangest places.

Ishje
December 23rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
here too, I try to brush it on the balcony in summertime, but other than that I can't do much about it.
the hairs are everywhere XD so I'd like to read about a solution as well!

bonnie1735
December 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
LOL!!! My hubby thinks the shedded hair is breeding with the dust bunnies and making some kind of mutted, feet eating dust bunnies!!!

spidermom
December 23rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Combing it in the same places all the time helps. In warm weather, I comb my hair outside and fantasize that shed hairs are going to end up in bird's nests, I also either comb it over the sink and gather up shed hairs afterwards or sitting on my side of the bed with hair falling toward the floor. Sometimes it seems like I shed enough hair right there for two people! I guess I don't vacuum my rug often enough. haha! Wearing it up around the house helps, too.

Sheltie_Momma
December 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
I comb/brush in the same place and then go over it with a piece of damp tissue each time I don't like seeing it balled up by the baseboards.

feb26
December 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
hoo boy...ok.
1. I comb my hair when damp and put all long bits in the trash (they come out several at a time in my hand, the comb)
2. any spare longies hanging out post-shower on my bod (you know the ones, they cling on post-shower & light toweling does NOT get rid of em)...these babies are picked off, 1 by 1 and dumped in the toilet
3. any loose bits on the bathroom floor get scooped up, added to the trash
4.i try and keep an eye on the floor--if/when I notice the telltale hair bunnies building up, I do a quick sponge/vacuum (current vacuum is broken)

anywhere i see em: clothes, duvet, on the cat, in the dishwasher/washing machine/etc: i pick em off, toss em.

Delila
December 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
I tend to groom my hair in the same place(s) around the house, so cleanup is easier.

Using a small strainer type thing over the drains helps prevent shed hairs from going down the drain.

Before I vacuum, I sweep with a broom, sort of scrubbing the rug, which helps the shed hairs gather together in the bristles. Easy to pick up and throw away.

I seem to remember that other people have posted pictures of their hair-related toilet clogs, basically clumps of hair that stop up the plumbing, so I wouldn't recommend flushing shed hairs.

Carolyn
December 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Honestly in my own home I don't worry much about it. I live with 2 golden retrievers and between the 3 of us I can't even begin to keep up with all the shed hair. I vacuum once in a while and pick up the big dust bunnies occasionally. When I'm staying at some else's house I try to take care of them. I do my hair care in the same place and try to nab the sheds and toss them in the wastebasket. I don't worry about it much in public bathrooms or hotels. It's just one of the things we have to deal with when we have long hair.

Madora
December 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
My brushing is always done in the bathroom where I can see the shed hair on the white tiles. I take a small piece of tp and run it over the area where the hair is and pick it up. Once a week the entire area is gone over with a dust buster.

I've heard of some long hairs dispursing their threads to the winds so the birds can use them for their nests.

Igor
December 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
I find that the longer my hair gets, the more the strands seems to “contain themselves” and curl up in nice, noticeable balls I can easily spot. Hubby complained about my shed hairs though. Then I started pointing out every time I found one of his chest-hairs in my things. That shut him up.
Hubby is part yeti and those little suckers seems to travel a lot more than my 4 foot long ones.

:gabigrin:

Kristin
December 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
I'm with Carolyn: I really don't worry too much about shed hairs at home. The amount of hair I shed cannot complete with the shedding of my cat and dog. The only other place I comb or brush is sometimes at my desk at work and if I see shed hairs I just throw them in the trash.

PrincessTieflin
December 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
My brushing is always done in the bathroom where I can see the shed hair on the white tiles. I take a small piece of tp and run it over the area where the hair is and pick it up. Once a week the entire area is gone over with a dust buster.

I've heard of some long hairs dispursing their threads to the winds so the birds can use them for their nests.

That is what we do when we trim DH and DS hair throw 'em in the yard... Never thought of my shed hairs..

also I heard some where you can put it in your garden if you have bunnies/deer what have you .. Im going to try this come spring when we plant :)

luxepiggy
December 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
I vacuum frequently, and as others mentioned, I pick up after myself when I finish detangling. In general, I sort of know the places where shed hair tends to accumulate - next to my favourite chair, by my desk, around my chaise longue, etc. Whenever I remember, I run my hand over the carpet in those areas, and sure enough, I've got a handful to throw in the trash.

When I first joined LHC, shed hairs started mysteriously appearing on the kitchen floor, which had never happened before! Took me about a week to connect them with my new habit of oiling in front of the cabinet where the cooking oils are kept (^(oo)^)

pepperminttea
December 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
I stick to the same area for combing generally, and then catch the escapees for either the compost or nesting material for the birds, depending on the season. I still find giant dust-bunnies breeding under my desk now and then, but that comes with the territory. :D

Arctic_Mama
December 23rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
As with Igor, my husband is quite hairy and a longhair, himself. We don't care where it goes, but we both wear our hair up and generally comb in the bathroom, so that room and our room contain the hairballs :)

spoonshine
December 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
I try to comb my hair in the same place to contain them. That said...today my husband pulled a baby mouse sized and shaped ball of my hair out of sock of his that went through the laundry.

I like the idea of putting them outside for the birds.

kitten1986
December 23rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
I vaccuum my whole house every other day because of my two cats so I never really get too much buildup of hair, except for in the bathroom where I brush haha

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 01:18 AM
it's kind of weird. I don't notice "stray" hairs on my clothes or anything anymore. I only notice hair on my comb and in the shower.

milagro
December 25th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Most of my shed hairs don't slip down but snarl within the mass and they come out when I comb or detangle, so my mess is generally in the bathroom. I don't have to remind myself to clean up all those hair balls and little hairs because I am freaky about shed hairs and always monitor the number :D (don't actually count but guestimate like "more / less than usual")

Teazel
December 25th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I detangle outside when possible, or I stay in one spot inside and sweep my hand over the floor afterwards to collect the strands up. I also check my clothing carefully to make sure I don't have cling-ons. After all, I can't blame a 52" silver strand on anyone else. :wink:

When I wash my hair in the shower I put a little strainer over the drain.

I, too, hope nest-building birds will find my sheds useful. Otherwise, hairballs go into the fire or compost.

No matter how careful I am, long hairs still accumulate on socks and carpet. Still, my sheddings are nowhere near as bad as some shorter-haired visitors; who are, perhaps, not as aware of the hairs they scatter as I am.