PDA

View Full Version : Super stringy wavy hair

Cupofmilk
December 23rd, 2010, 04:38 AM
Please tell me I am not the only one with super stringy wavey hair. My hair forms very small clumps like ringlets - but wavey. It looks like I have been using tongs when I have oiled.

My hair is also wavey. This means that a blunt hemline is simply impossible.

It's a good thing I like fairytale ends then.

This is a recent end shot of non-oiled hair that I have brushed and you can see just how stringy my hair is.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/rachelba99/IMG_2710.jpg

Personally this look suits my rather eccentric personality and I am happy with it. It's not helped by the fact that the underneath layer of hair is shorter because it is much more wavey than the top layer.

Any advice. I feel really happy with it and then I see people's super slick hair with thick blunt ends !

Rebelkat
December 23rd, 2010, 04:46 AM
I wish I could help you, but I've been struggling with this for many, many years. Back when I straightened my hair on a daily basis, my ends didn't clump together, but my hair was damaged as all get out. I think it's just a fact of life for us wavies, unfortunately. Your hair is GORGEOUS, so don't let the super-sleek straight hair get to you.

dropinthebucket
December 23rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
I'm a 1c/F/i too and I have the same thing going on. Except in winter, when it straightens up a little bit with the dryness, but it still separates into piecy looking bits, just straighter ones. Grrr. And rebelkat, my hair flips up at the ends just like yours! Eerie! ;)

I've been thinking a slightly V-shaped hemline would show off the inevitable fairy tale ends with this hair type. Luckily, I also love fairytale ends, so it's a good thing! I also think the longer it gets, the nicer it will look with the stringiness -- it's not quite BSL now, so it just looks weird, but once it's, oh say, hip length, it may look more like LOTR characters and like the separated pieces are supposed to be that way! (I hope)

jaine
December 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
I agree it looks pretty! My hair type is similar and I like the look of waves that taper to a point. I'm hoping the "freshly trimmed" look of my hair will wear off soon so my ends look more similar to yours. I think a U or V-shape hemline looks amazing with ends like this but straight across is nice too.

ETA: On a side note... I think you're definitely wavier than 1c/2a. Maybe 2b or possibly 2c. Brushing usually makes hair less wavy so it's hard to tell. In the picture it looks like 2b to me since the waves are similar to braid waves.

Armelle
December 23rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
My hair is the same. Super wavy with ringlets underneath. It very quickly becomes ratty looking no matter what I do: brush it, comb it, oil it, leave it alone. The only thing I've noticed is that my hair is not capable of holding a true curl for long, so all the advice for curlies doesn't work on me. Obviously, advice for straight hair doesn't work either. My hair only looks good after being washed for about a handful of hours. Updos are my friend I guess.

However, I did notice that when I cut my hip length hair to bsl (due to illness) I got a blunt hemline and it has actually maintained that ever since. I'm not quite back to the same length but close. Not sure why it changed from fairy tale to blunt. But then, I've hit a MAJOR stall and my hair has hardly grown for several months. :(

spidermom
December 23rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
Do my eyes deceive me or do I see some ringlets there? One thing is for sure, I don't see stringy.

Pretty hair. Mine dries ropey-looking, but within a few days of combing and bunning, it goes pretty straight.

Babyfine
December 23rd, 2010, 08:46 AM
I have the same issue. Your hair is very pretty BTW!! and your ends look much thicker than mine. I would also classify you solidly in the 2 catorgory, 2b maybe.
My hair gets very piec-y and separates into strings. sometimes if my hair is well moisturized they form ringlets. I always wanted either sleek, straight hair, or curly(3 type hair. I, too agree with what someone said above-right now my hair's at an awkward length, but when it gets longer I'll like the fairytale ends better.

I think your fairytale ends really become you, though!

Cupofmilk
December 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Yes I have ringlets - just a few underneath. i get awful mats with the nape hair which curls into little balls.

I have to say I am starting to enjoy my hair again now. I do a lot of odd hairstyles involving braids and hair down for posh occasions and so many people have said how amazing my hair is even though it is really quite short still (compared to before)

manderly
December 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
You are nowhere near being a 1c. You are firmly in the 2s, with little hints at 3s. Embrace the waves, they aren't supposed to be a smooth sheet like straighties, they clump and curl :)

Pifkin
December 23rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Your hair is really pretty!

girlcat36
December 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Honestly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your hair! It looks very pretty!
It might help to trim it when it is dry for a more even hemline.

pepperminttea
December 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
You are nowhere near being a 1c. You are firmly in the 2s, with little hints at 3s. Embrace the waves, they aren't supposed to be a smooth sheet like straighties, they clump and curl :)

Agreed. If that's after brushing you must be hiding some serious curls! :D

fairy_ends_girl
December 23rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
your hair is beautiful and not stringy looking at all.

Anywhere
December 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
It doesn't look super stringy to me, non stringy wavy/curly/wurly? hair can tend to look kind of... fluffy/frizzy/bushy. "Stringy" is good. :)

jasper
December 23rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
stringy and wavy, that's me- emphasis on stringy.

rosieex3
December 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
My hair is stringy-wavy as well! Lately I have been brushing out my waves though and wearing my hair up so it's been loose wavys that aren't too stringy when I take it down, rather then stringy clumps of super wavy waves. Lol. My hair is damaged though and was never stringy when it was virgin.

Thinthondiel
December 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM

I agree with all of this. :)

Tabitha
December 24th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Your hair sounds like mine, especially the top layer being straighter. It's a real PITA isn't it. Brushing isn't a solution, as it just results in a cloud of frizz.

If I airdry, I never look groomed so I tend to put my hair in a bun if I want to look presentable. If I want to look reasonable with it down, I have to use a coney conditioner & leave-in, blowdry it then bun it to achieve smooth waves.

I also have layers, a blunt hemline just looks like poof on me.

This pic kind of shows what I mean. A half up is one way I try to make it look less random.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9180/halfupbarrette.jpg

DuckyDot
December 24th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Your hair isn't stringy! It's lovely! If I brush (Or comb) my hair then it looks flat and frizzy. If you were to follow the advice for wavies, wurlies and curlies then I'm sure you would have some strong waves! :D

Tabitha: I like your hair! :)

Cupofmilk
December 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Tabitha - I have always loved your hair - had no idea it was that wavey.

I am glad I am not the only one with a starighter top layer. I think I am going to have to reevaluate my hair and do another air dry to see what happens. This is me with wet just out of bath hair:

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/rachelba99/IMG_2482.jpg

Edit to add - that was a few months ago - August I think. beacuse I wear my hair in braids so much I keep thinking that most of the wave is braid wave related but when you look at the photos here - I haven't been braiding my hair and newly washed it's really wavey still! So perhaps I need to do another one and let it completely dry - perhaps I am more of a 2 then. I still have very fine hair but I have got the i bit wrong. I think I may even be a iii.

DuckyDot
December 24th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Your hair looks like a ii to me [B]CupofMilk[/B ! Maybe ii/iii.
Also I think that you are maybe a 2a/2b? Or Purely 2b! Definitely not 1c/2a however!