PDA

View Full Version : Do Birds Cause Split Ends

Dragon
December 23rd, 2010, 03:18 AM
Does it cause split ends when birds chew on your hair?

StormVixen
December 23rd, 2010, 03:20 AM
i guess anything chewing on your hair is going to cause splits :/

Elenna
December 23rd, 2010, 03:40 AM
My cat chews on my hair when she can.

Toadstool
December 23rd, 2010, 04:05 AM
haha I was imagining you out in the garden with birds sitting on your head, and wondering what makes your hair so tasty!

Unofficial_Rose
December 23rd, 2010, 04:36 AM
I love the idea of birds that are tame enough to chew your hair (as long as they are not big, scary birds). Just sounds cute to me. :)

What kind of birds do you have, Dragon?

marzipanthecat
December 23rd, 2010, 04:37 AM
Yes, it does damage your hair a bit. It can cause split ends too.

(I used to live at a place where my landlady had a very large aviary with free-flying parakeets, and I enjoyed helping to feed them and clean the area, and whenever I went in lots of the birds would land on me and nibble at my hair and clothes and jewellery in a friendly manner!)

Dragon
December 23rd, 2010, 04:46 AM
I love the idea of birds that are tame enough to chew your hair (as long as they are not big, scary birds). Just sounds cute to me. :)

What kind of birds do you have, Dragon?

A cockatiel.

Igor
December 23rd, 2010, 04:54 AM
That of course depends on how hard they chew.

My late lovebird used to chew on my hair, but it was more of a nibble playing with it than actually chewing.

dropinthebucket
December 23rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Hee hee! I don't have birds, so I can't say. But a friend of mine - ok this is just a funny story, so maybe it's a bit off topic - went to Indonesia for a couple of years for work. This was back about 20 years ago, but when she came home, she told me that bird spiders (those big hairy ones that eat birds!!) love protein, and would often crawl into the house at night and sit on her shoulder while she was asleep, munching away at her hair! She would wake up in the morning, and find a chunk missing/chewed off. :eek: :eek: :eek:

pepperminttea
December 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
I don't have birds, but my hamster loves to create a split-end or two, so I'm guessing a bird would have no problem too. :lol:

MAO
December 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Hee hee! I don't have birds, so I can't say. But a friend of mine - ok this is just a funny story, so maybe it's a bit off topic - went to Indonesia for a couple of years for work. This was back about 20 years ago, but when she came home, she told me that bird spiders (those big hairy ones that eat birds!!) love protein, and would often crawl into the house at night and sit on her shoulder while she was asleep, munching away at her hair! She would wake up in the morning, and find a chunk missing/chewed off. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy crap, that would freak me out!! shudder:shudder: I hate spideys!

Bene
December 23rd, 2010, 08:53 AM

I'd be MAD if I found out some spiders were treating my hair like an all night 7-11 :mad:

ruffian
December 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
If they're actually biting and pulling, I could see it causing some damage; but if they're just "preening" your hair like they do their feathers, then I don't think so. I have a couple of birds, and my African Grey parrot loves to preen my hair when he's on my shoulder (mostly the little pieces by my ear). I haven't noticed any damage from it, but I suppose if I let him do it for hours on end I might end up with a few splits. :shrug:

spoonshine
December 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
My late parakeet used to play with my hair but it seemed more like a gentle grooming and rearranging it thing rather than a chewing it thing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Do not want. shudder:

little_cherry
December 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
I have 5 birds and let them sit on my shoulder. Sometimes Oscar (the guy on the right in my avatar) loves to jump on my head and pretend to be a hair toy. They all preen my hair, but it's gentle. I let them do this every day with no damage.

Capybara
December 23rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Lucky you, a cockatiel! Those are beautiful.

I used to have two budgies. They would get caught in my hair all the time, but I think their beaks were too small to cause much damage. Their talons, on the other hand, pulled out and broke many a hair! It was worth it, to me, at least. They're such sweet creatures.

sibiryachka
December 23rd, 2010, 10:05 AM

That is one of the most nightmare-inducing stories I have ever heard. Note to self: Avoid Indonesia.

angelthadiva
December 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
I can't imagine it being good for long hair care, but that's just me.

spidermom
December 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
I think birds could cause shredded hairs! One of my budgies in the past would really work a strand of hair over in his beak, but I don't remember what it did to my hair because I was getting it cut a lot back then. I'm lucky - the bird I have now won't let me near her.

Jenn of Pence
December 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Lol, I was wondering the same thing about my in-laws' puppies. I've been playing with them for a couple of days, and they find my hair very chew-able....and I think it's cute (but I'm still quick to rescue it!). ;)

ArienEllariel
December 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM

Ieeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :run:

That is one of the most nightmare-inducing stories I have ever heard. Note to self: Avoid Indonesia.

Yah!shudder:

nucleardelusion
December 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
My cockatiel preens my hair, it's doesn't seem to cause any damage. He's just smoothing his beak and tongue over it, like he would do to his feathers. :)

Dragon
December 23rd, 2010, 01:17 PM

That would freak me out. I don’t like spiders.

Horsetuna
December 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
I have five cockatiels, and whlie I have split ends, I dont think they are the cause.

When parrots 'chew' on our hair its grooming, and often very gentle - like preening their own feathers, they dont want to damage them! (although one likes to yank gently on occasion to get my attention)

I dont think you have much to worry about en-masse personally. My littlest LOVES to hide in my hair.

lajsa
December 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
I am so NEVER going to visit Indonesia :blueeek:

Somehow it's always so cute when your pets decide your hair looks tasty :D My dog (she's 10 months old now) used to chew on my braids when she was younger. Nowadays I'm too used to hiding them away. :p