PDA

View Full Version : Does....dry hair

wahmof9
December 22nd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Some old hair formula call for vodka as a preservative....does not alcohol dry hair?

wahmof9
December 22nd, 2010, 11:57 PM
Anyone.....?

StarryNight
December 23rd, 2010, 01:07 AM
I have heard from my old hairdresser to avoid anything with alcohol on the ingredients list, as I have dry hair, and it would only make it worse, but this was also the same person who cut all of my hair off and cost me tons of money and no help with my scalp. :/

milagro
December 23rd, 2010, 02:18 AM
It does but I think if used a very little amount along with moisturizing / nourishing things, it will be ok.
I know my grandma added a dab of brandy to castor oil, for a treatment. She had gorgeous hair.

Uni&Corn
December 23rd, 2010, 02:36 AM
I don't know about vodka, but I've heard many times that beer is excellent for hair and shine if you pour it over your head. I've never tried it, though.

rosek
December 23rd, 2010, 04:46 AM
I think I replied to this thread in the herbal haircare subforum?

But the answer is that alcohol is dehydrating. So yes, it may dry out your hair, depending on its concentration.

nereida
December 23rd, 2010, 05:12 AM
You shouldn't be afraid of using some hair cosmetic with alcohol. I was studying chemistry for 3 years so I know a little. A lot of women are afraid of using cosmetics with, for example: alcohol denat., but you shouldn't, especially when a cosmetic has spray formula. This substance is common in herbal hair products, because it helps to extend its expiry date. Usually when you use a spray on your hair alcohol evaporates.
But be careful, because I've heard that using hair products with alcohol on your ends may cause drying, so try to use it on your scalp, because our skin produces natural oils those moisturise.

DuckyDot
December 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Apparently Flat Beer Rinses are good for shine!

littlenvy
December 23rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
I was wondering the same thing after reading the hair routine of Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Sissi). She is here on some avatars and was on mime too.
She used egg and honey to 'wash' her hair but then she rinsed it in French Brandy... and her hair was said to be the most beautiful hair in Europe. So this makes me rethink my attitude towards alcohol on hair.

Madora
December 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yes, alcohol is damaging to your hair (per George Michael's book).

ScarlettAdelle
December 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
My best rule of thumb is dab some on your skin, wait & see what your skin feels like. Alcohol saps moisture out of whatever it comes in contact with. If it dries your skin, it'll dry your hair.

wahmof9
December 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
You shouldn't be afraid of using some hair cosmetic with alcohol. I was studying chemistry for 3 years so I know a little. A lot of women are afraid of using cosmetics with, for example: alcohol denat., but you shouldn't, especially when a cosmetic has spray formula. This substance is common in herbal hair products, because it helps to extend its expiry date. Usually when you use a spray on your hair alcohol evaporates.
But be careful, because I've heard that using hair products with alcohol on your ends may cause drying, so try to use it on your scalp, because our skin produces natural oils those moisturise.
Yes the vodka is for shelf life...thank you for the advice!:D

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 01:23 AM
ive also heard alcohol is a drying substance, I wouldn't use it for my hair