PDA

View Full Version : Calling fine hair people

wahmof9
December 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Ok....I like a thick (as thick as it can be when you have fine and thin hair) hemline....what is the best method to achieve this.

1) let it grow one year with no trims and then chop 2 to 3 inches off?

2) Cut a little every few months?

Sinisiew
December 22nd, 2010, 11:48 PM
Personally I'd say to dust it once a month, at least that's what I'm doing. That way I know I keep those splits at bay and I cut way less than I groww each month.
I know I can have a thick hemline because I've had it at chinlenght, my goal is to acheive the same with longer hair but with our hairtype....it's a challenge!

maus
December 22nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
I have fine and thin hair. I don't know what is best, but I'll try cutting a little every few months. I need to get rid of my #$@& layers, and I can't wait a year! Next cut will be February 22nd or 23rd, I think - I don't know off the top of my head, but I thought I'd cut it according to the moon phases (https://morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-chart). Not that I really believe it is going to make a difference, but I figured it can't hurt, either, can it. :p

lesbia
December 23rd, 2010, 01:41 AM
I also have fine and thin hair and I want a blunt and thick hemline. But if I have to choise beetwen long hair and blunt hemline i choose long hair. This is my method to have long hair faster: I stop to cut. When I'll reach my goal I will trim until my hemline become blunt. I know that in this way you have to wait to have a thick hemline, but if you trim often your hair will grow sooo slowly!

however if you want a thick hemline right now I think the best thing is to trim every 2-3 mounths. If you trim after a year your hemline will not be so thick...But trimming every 2-3 mounths means wait so much until reach my lenght goal, so i prefer wait so much to have a thick hemline ;)

good grow wahmof9! :)

Uni&Corn
December 23rd, 2010, 02:43 AM
I have fine hair, and I've been trimming just split ends I see by myself (I don't trust haircutters). It works for me because I can't stand leaving damaged hair alone.

For you, though, I suggest not trimming it until you absolute have to because of damage.

Loislane
December 23rd, 2010, 03:09 AM
For you, though, I suggest not trimming it until you absolute have to because of damage.

I agree. It may take a lot longer than you think for there tombe enough damage for a trim to really be needed. My dear friend who is a hairdresser was teasing me about not coming to see her in the last year and she playfully grabbed the ends of my hair. She got the funniest expression on her face, dropped my hair, and said, "well, I guess I won't be seeing you for at least another six months. Your hair looks pretty good!"
I don't trim often, but if it needs it, I definitely get it done to prevent further breakage. I guess I am just trying to encourage you to listen to your own hair and not go with a set schedule.

wahmof9
December 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thank you. I have been cutting regularly so it took me well over 1 year to go to APL to BSL and I want long hair.....so I think I will do what was suggested...let it grow and then worry about the hemline

Stormy1
December 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
My goal in 2010 was length - so, I only dusted when my hair told me I needed to.
This allowed a 5 inch gain by Dec.

I plan to use this same strategy in 2011.

Becky Safari
December 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Seconding what loislane said, I may trim it every 6 weeks or 6 months, simply depending on what my hair damage is like. I suspect that by adopting more LHC skills I can stretch trims more

Clarisse
December 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Trim 1-2 cm every 3-4 months. If you wait too long in between trims, the ends will be fairytailing too much and not even a 5 inch chop will give you a perfectly blunt hemline. But now, my hair isn’t thin or slowgrowing, even though it’s fine. Maybe it’s different for thinner hair

Delila
December 23rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
I'll second the advice for trimming only infrequently.

When I was first doing my own self-trims, I used dates I picked from the Morrocco Method calendar, mostly because it was a way to make a choice about when to trim, not because I necessarily believed in the theories behind their selections.

Rini
December 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
For me, it depends on my growth rate. When I go through phases of really fast growth, I tend to get REALLY uneven ends and they are transparent. I have to trim to get a nice straight hemline. So I don't have a schedule, just trim when the ends look bad like that. Right now, I'm planning on not trimming for a year (just had a "big" 2 inch chop in October) as I'm living abroad for a while. It will be interesting to see how my hair looks this time next year :D

MinderMutsig
December 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I trim with every season change. (For no other reason than it's easier to keep track of trims if I have a set trim date.)

I like a blunt hemline and the feeling of fresh ends so I keep up with trimming.

girlcat36
December 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
I am only able to acheive thicker ends by letting it grow a bit, then doing a 2-3" chop. It thins out again fairly quickly; within a few months. So I have given up.
I trimmed 1.5" on the Winter Solstice, and honestly, it looks no different. I would have to cut about 5-6" to get a thick hemline, and I am not willing to do that.

jaine
December 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Some of the hairs that you trim will not grow past the length you trimmed them to - because they're already in the telogen phase. So the small & frequent method will give a *slightly* thicker hemline because of that; you won't be cutting some hairs way back only to have other hairs rush ahead later.

The difference is small but might be noticeable on some people. 10-15% of hairs are in the telogen phase and it lasts 3-6 monhts (so, about 10-15% of your hairs would end up 1.5 - 3 inches shorter than the rest of your hair, 6 months after big single trim)

spidermom
December 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
One thing I have noticed - I have trimmed all through my journey to long hair to maintain ends on the thick side. People near my same length at the beginning who opted not to trim have much thinner ends AND shorter hair now than I do. Who knows why exactly? Breaking off at the ends? Genetic limitations? I've grown without trimming this year because 1) I wanted to reach my goal this year, and I have, and 2) I don't mind if my ends thin out now. All this thick hair is kind of heavy.

wendy51
December 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
As it's winter, i put a little bit of shea butter+rosemary+peppemint spritz on my edges
It works wonderful for 2months

Maybe it could work on youuuuu~~

wendy51
December 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
As it's winter, i put a little bit of shea butter+rosemary+peppemint spritz on my edges

sorry, and on my ends too ^^

wendy51
December 23rd, 2010, 03:44 PM

sorry, and on my ends too ^^
and trim them every 3months (looking if it's healthy or not)

Alvrodul
December 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
I S&D frequently, and try as best I can to avoid trimming. When I do trim, I tend to take as little as possible.
Last I trimmed was the end of October, I self-trimmed then, and took perhaps as much as 1 cm. It had then been about 4 months since my last trim.

Lune d'Loup
December 24th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I'm a fine haired woman, but never been sure if it's thin or not. just know it is super fine, when i hold a single hair up to the light i can barely see it. but to answer your question.... i myself trim only twice a year unless absolutely necessary due to damage. i like a thick hemline, but will not be trimming after feb. 23, 2011 but i might just wait until April 14, 2011 according to the Morrocco lunar method to achieve more length. since i don't need to thicken and desire length. my hemline is thick enough right now, since it is just above shoulder i just need to trim to even the hemline. (seems my hair grows faster on the left side than on the right side. ) is that normal?

once i even hemline i plan to not trim or cut for 1 year or longer to achieve maximum length, of course that means uneven hemline but i will sacrifice the lovely thick even hemline for length. i can always trim back a couple of inches every 4 months to make hemline thicker. i haven't tried to let my hair become fairy tailed, it might look good on me?

wahmof9
December 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I am only able to acheive thicker ends by letting it grow a bit, then doing a 2-3" chop. It thins out again fairly quickly; within a few months. So I have given up.
I trimmed 1.5" on the Winter Solstice, and honestly, it looks no different. I would have to cut about 5-6" to get a thick hemline, and I am not willing to do that.

I am with you...trimmed 1.5 inches too and it looks not much different....I lost a lot of hair and I have old layers...so for me...no trim until I reach my goal and only then will I worry about my hemline...my hair is always up anyway and I wish so bad now that i still has my 1 1/2 inch back cause my hair is a slow grower....

Plus my hair girls which means the strands separate....sigh

girlcat36
December 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I am with you...trimmed 1.5 inches too and it looks not much different....I lost a lot of hair and I have old layers...so for me...no trim until I reach my goal and only then will I worry about my hemline...my hair is always up anyway and I wish so bad now that i still has my 1 1/2 inch back cause my hair is a slow grower....

Plus my hair girls which means the strands separate....sigh

I trimmed 1.5" yesterday and it looks no different! I kind of wish I hadn't trimmed.
Our hair is so similar, I think mine a tad curlier.
It's frustrating.