PDA

View Full Version : Posts may reveal no style may be safe from damage...

shikara
December 22nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
I just realized that from many posts I've read, I guess you just have to know your hair, how you prefer to wear it, and be as gentle as possible. I have read that some do not like to braid because they hear strands breaking and getting pulled as they are working it - I've certainly experienced this!! Others do not like to wear hair up because of tugging or pulling - count me in!! Some are concerned about damage hair pins may be causing as they slide them in - I've heard noises I don't like either. And wearing it down - well, that's just a no-no for me. I've been very confused by these same matters as I've joined LHC and am trying to feel comfortable with what may be the least damaging to hair as it's being manipulated and secured. What are your thoughts?

Juneii
December 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
of course any kind of style is going to get some amount of damage unless you shave your head bald and wear a silk bonnet! For the most part we try to find the safest style possible since as long as some hair is exposed it will receive some amount of damage.
I think you may be pulling on braids too much or winding your buns too tightly. Generally you should hear nothing as you are styling your hair.

shikara
December 22nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Actually, I treat my hair very gently. My post is more musing about the fact that since joining LHC, I have been trying some different updos, reverting to braids, etc. and trying to make informed decisions about what I feel most comfortable with when it comes to choosing how to wear it, and what tools to use to best secure updos. This site is a wealth of information and sharing. I imagine many people go through the same learning curves I am when starting to wear updos. It is comforting to know I am not alone in all this :cheer: and am not the only one wondering 'is this tool (pin, clip, claw, clasp etc) hurting my hair?'. I suppose keeping hair strong and healthy, and manipulating it gently is the way to go whatever way someone chooses to style their hair......

eezepeeze
December 23rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
When I first joined LHC, I tried just about all the styles to see what I liked and didn't like. I discovered that I don't particularly like wearing my hair up with sticks because when I put the sticks in, they always catch and snap individual hairs on the way in. Of course, that could be put down to user error.

Braided buns are what my hair takes to the best. Twisted buns also, but I find that I have to use so many support pins that it becomes uncomfortable on my scalp, which I feel leads to hair loss in the areas of stress.

I also avoid half ups because I find they tangle my hair and cause breakage in the takedown.

I'm sure this is very subjective. I like to wear my hair down as often as possible, but also like to protect the fragile ends, so I wind up wearing it up about 75% of the time.

jesis
December 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Everyone's hair is different. Like the laides above said, you have to find what works for you.

I've found that taking good care of my hair is like a full-time job. :D I don't mind it, but it's not easy.

ravenreed
December 23rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I haven't found a way to totally avoid damage. Braids make split ends up the shaft where I tie them off. Even my Flexi-8's sometimes snap hairs on me. I have found ways to make my hair better able to withstand damage. For my hair, it was catnip rinses. Also, I would rather enjoy my hair, even if it means my hair undergoes a little damage in the process. It will grow. So I wear it down, I dye it, I do things that make me happy.

ScarlettAdelle
December 23rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have found ways to make my hair better able to withstand damage. For my hair, it was catnip rinses.

I wonder how my hair would take to a catnip rinse, but as my roomate has two cats, I can see this causing more damage than it avoids! haha :D