PDA

View Full Version : The "To Highlight, or Not to Highlight?" Thread

Waveepagee
December 22nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hi everyone, how are yall? :)

I've been thinking of a lot of different things to do with my hair lately, as it is long thick wavy dull and BORING. :( I originally wanted to snip off my length, but now I've decided to keep it long, revive my layers, and perhaps get some highlights. Here comes my question: what color? I have chestnut one tone hair. My skin is olive and when I get pale it kinda looks green :confused:. My eyes are brown with tiny but unnoticeable flecks of green. Through highlighting I'd like to emphasize my green hues to where people can finally notice them. I want a natural-looking yet noticeable change to my hair. Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated and also, feel free to post your highlighting questions here too! I'd feel terrible to have a whole thread fo MY question, so maybe I could help in exchange!

Have a Blessed Christmas and remember the real Reason for the Season! :D :cheese:

thirstylocks
December 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I would never recommend highlights to anyone, having done it myself.

If you do get some, make sure its semi-permanent or it washes out in case you regret it!

Waveepagee
December 22nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
I've done blonde highlights before, twice I think, and while they looked AWESOME at first, my coarse hair would get all fried. I'm leaning towards subtle wine/auburn streaks, bc I already have a little natural red thrown in. I've read that red color washes out the fastest, and in addition to getting a semi-permanent I think it would do less damage than a harsh blonde.

pepperminttea
December 22nd, 2010, 10:18 PM
Silly question, but is your hair really all "one tone" naturally? I find my natural colour has a lot more variation, strand by strand, than my hair had when it was dyed.

I'm afraid I'm useless with colour recommendation, but I hope you find something that works for you. :)

Lianna
December 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM
I doubt anyone here is gonna tell you to highlight. I dye my hair and I'm much happier with it. Do what makes you happy.

Waveepagee
December 22nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Wow, pepperminttea! Your hairs beautiful! I might have been exaggerating when I said completely one tone, but it looks like that from a distance. But one day my friend took a strand of my hair and we found all kinds of colors in the sunlight: blonds, reds, and even a little blue! I'm just frustrated with my hair right now because it's so dull, and doesn't reflect any light. Thanks for your advice too, Lianna. It's something I definitely want to do!

Tabitha
December 23rd, 2010, 03:03 AM
I have hair very like you describe except mine is ashy brown rather than chestnut. I have lowlights in mine (with the odd highlight that the hairdresser insisted would make for a natural look - but I'm going to ask her to tone those down). It's less damaging than highlights which require bleach but still gives interest and texture to the hair.

Unofficial_Rose
December 23rd, 2010, 03:17 AM
If you want to emphasise green hues in your eyes, how about tinted highlights in a copper colour, only slightly lighter than your natural colour? I used to have tinted highlights at one time, and really, they are far less damaging than bleach. Especially if you just have a few in what stylists call a T-section, around the face and parting.

Copper normally fades, but to a golden colour, which would still be nice for giving colour/morale a lift.

Maddy_T
December 23rd, 2010, 03:24 AM
You should just do some honey highlights yourself!!! I think that would be the most natural, lovely look that is probably more likely to compliment you than artificial dyes/bleach!. I've been reading up on Honey lightening (THANKS LHC!!!:cheese:) and do it to my whole head and my tone has lifted from a lightish brown to a goldeny color after a few treatments..

Lianna
December 23rd, 2010, 04:40 AM
Wow, pepperminttea! Your hairs beautiful! I might have been exaggerating when I said completely one tone, but it looks like that from a distance. But one day my friend took a strand of my hair and we found all kinds of colors in the sunlight: blonds, reds, and even a little blue! I'm just frustrated with my hair right now because it's so dull, and doesn't reflect any light. Thanks for your advice too, Lianna. It's something I definitely want to do!

If you do decide to do it, look around the board, there are tips on how to prevent/minimize damage, such as oiling with coconut oil before. You can also highlight with hair dye, seems less damaging than straight bleach.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1212996&postcount=1
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=889

Waveepagee
December 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the links! I'm gonna go to the salon, believe me I've tried DIY highlights at home and nearly bleached my whole head. I had leopard spotted hair! lol. But really thanks everybody!

Waveepagee
December 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Ok I'm calling my salon tomorrow!! :) I've decided I'm getting copper or reddish tones in my hair. But one last thing y'all: what is your favorite highlighting technique? I read a pretty good article on balayage. Has anyone had experiences with that at all? Good or bad I'll take em! :D

McFearless
December 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Highlights are fun and can take away the urge to chop or do drastic things while growing hair long. To lessen the damage you might wanna keep them around your face only if the goal is brighten up your skin and make your eyes stand out.

papillion
December 30th, 2010, 06:25 AM
The only advice I have it to make sure you have a plan for if/when you decide you don't want highlights any more.

I had highlights for a couple of years, but now that I've decided I don't want them any more, I'm facing just under four years of waiting for them to grow out. Temporary dye helps to hide them a little, but I wish I had thought about this before I put the highlights in in the first place!