PDA

View Full Version : Are latex 'elastics' safe for hair:

shikara
December 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Just wondering what you think on this matter. I can't really find anything on the internet. These 'elastics' are quite fine, and usually sold in clear and black. I think Goody even sells them.

Nae
December 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
In my opinion, they are pretty safe. The ones sold in quantities of about 500 for really cheap seem to work really well for ending off my sleep braids with no breakage. You would have to be careful, just like with anything but there isn't any metal to get caught on so you should be good.

angelthadiva
December 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Those are fine, its those ones with evil metal clamp in middle you should avoid.

bedazzlecat
December 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
*I* have trouble with them if I put them in a ponytail or anything like that. But like another poster mentioned, they work great for the ends of braids and the like. They're usually only good for one use, though. After that, they stretch out. I think they're polyurethane, not latex, if we're talking about the same thing.

ddiana1979
December 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
I've got some clear ones for the end of braids. I haven't noticed any breakage or damage from using them. Sometimes I very carefully cut them out, instead of pull, because they really are only good for 1 or 2 uses.

Milui Elenath
December 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't want to use them for ponytails everyday because the elastics are quite fine and the pressure on the hair is greater and would in my opinion cut into the hair.

I agree they are okay for the ends of braids. Still I would only be using them short term and for special styles that need 'invisible' elastics. I prefer softer ties on daily braids.

Oz
December 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
they are made for hair.. so should be alright.. so long as you stay away from rubber bands.. HELLLL

Stagecoach
December 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
I use them nearly every day to tie off my braids. I'm careful to put them in without snagging hair so I can slide them off easily. So far (after a couple years of regular use) they have not visibly damaged my hair. I'm much more worried by the hair pins I push through my buns every day!

Oz
December 22nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
thouse pins worry me to.. i can hear them snapping strands.. makes me cringe. eeewwww thought about greasing them up haha

MandaMom2Three
December 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
i love these things so much :D!! They are perfect for my daughters' ultra fine hair that defies any other earthly device trying to contain it :lol: . I use them on the ends of my braids as well, and for any style that I really don't want my hair tie to show :p

pepperminttea
December 22nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'm really not a fan of them. I used them for the ends of mini-braids back in August and although they did hold very well, I got a lot of breakage around where the ties were. I've fiddled about with them, for less long-term use in accent braids, but they just catch and snag too much. :( The typical cloth-covered ones (no metal) are much kinder for my ends, but YMMV.

Uni&Corn
December 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I just bought a pack the other day, after hearing that they were one of the more hair-friendly hair ties out there. So far they work fine, and I like them because they're not bulky and you can't see them :)

joiekimochi
December 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
I use the really small ones for the ends of my braids becase my hair is so layered the tassels are only a few strands left. I cut them out at the end of the day. They are only good for 1 use.

Lianna
December 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
Those are fine, its those ones with evil metal clamp in middle you should avoid.

I'm the other way around, the latex pulls my hair out of the bulb (hurts) and I have no problems with metal clamps. It's like everything I do or feel goes agaisnt the "board rules". I hate it. I also dye my hair and wash and condition everyday with sulfates and cones! Braids dry out my hair. :(

adiapalic
December 22nd, 2010, 11:37 PM
I use those little cheap ones. Only on the ends of my braids though--any farther up and they'd snag. The plus side though, is if they do get snagged you can easily break them off. No big loss, because they're like $1.00 or so for a pack of hundreds.

I'm the other way around, the latex pulls my hair out of the bulb (hurts) and I have no problems with metal clamps. It's like everything I do or feel goes agaisnt the "board rules". I hate it. I also dye my hair and wash and condition everyday with sulfates and cones! Braids dry out my hair. :(

I don't think there are any set standards or "rules" as you say. :) Granted, there is certain advice that is generally shared by most--but everyone uses the practices as it works for their own hair. Everyone here is different--as everyone has their own set of rules on LHC. :flower:

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I'm not saying they aren't safe, but the only hair tye i trust is my very soft scrunchies. The material is very soft and it doesnt pull out hair