PDA

View Full Version : Urban hair myth- hair doesn't grow between ages of 16 and 18?

toodramatik
June 5th, 2008, 12:26 AM
So my auntie told me that my hair won't grow till I'm 18 [I'm 16 at the moment] and i have really short lopsided bangs and it nearly made me cry.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Gumball
June 5th, 2008, 12:28 AM
If that was the case I wouldn't have had to go through the constant maintenance of a typical boy's cut. Sure sometimes hair may grow faster or slower, but as a static amount in that age range? Psh. Nah. Your hair will grow. No worries there. :)

Isilme
June 5th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I have never ever heard of such at thing, well, how does she explain that I still had to go to the hairdresser at that age, and that I also got regrowth from the colours I used?;) (don't ask her, just think about it yourself)
I think we can safely say that it's a myth, and not even an urban since I never heard this one :lol:

CurlyNinja
June 5th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Yup, definitely a myth. Don't worry!

julya
June 5th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I've never heard that one either, I don't think it's true at all. And it doesn't seem like a nice thing to say to someone who is upset about too short bangs.

Riot Crrl
June 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
That is a strange one. My hair grew an awful lot between those ages.

OhioLisa
June 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Uhhhh... :bull:

Seraphina
June 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Don't worry,not true at all.I'm sixteen and my hair has still been growing : )

Exodus
June 5th, 2008, 01:29 AM
This one is a new one for me...
But I can tell, my hair grew as normal for me in that age.
Are you sure your auntie didn't try to make a joke?

k_hepburn
June 5th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Yeah, I was fed some pretty weird stories by my parents during my teenage years too. These days I wonder if they just plain made it up or actually believed the utter nonsense they sometimes came out with.

Hair not growing between 16 and 18? I was maintaining waist length hair with regular sizeable trims at the time...

Greetings :D :D :D

katharine

Riot Crrl
June 5th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I think that I actually went from BSL to waist during those years. AND, it was on previously bleached hair that I had dyed to match the roots to transition it out. They just don't make my hair like they used to.

DecafJane
June 5th, 2008, 03:08 AM
That is funny - and very much not true! What a strange thing to tell somebody - your body does not change itself based upon a specific numerical age! :D

justinekay
June 5th, 2008, 03:10 AM
No worries - your hair will grow and grow, just like everyone elses :-)

far_away
June 5th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Rot and rubbish... Don't worry about it - in fact around then is an exciting time because not only does the hair grow, sometimes it changes (hormones) and becomes more or less curly or whatever - enjoy it!

ysmalan
June 5th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Uh huh... and I probably only imagined that my hair grew from APL to waist during that time. ;)
Don't worry, as long as everything is okay with you, your hair will grow!

morgwn
June 5th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I've never heard that one before. Please don't even be remotely convinced by that one. It's absolute rubbish. I used to have to constantly cut my hair during those two years because I was trying to maintain at pixie length at that time and my hair kept growing really quickly!

Nienor
June 5th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Bah, that's ridiculous. My hair grew a foot during that time.

Masara
June 5th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Now that's a new one on me! thinking back, I would say that that was about the fastest growng perio I ever had. I know that at 15 I had the world's shortest pixeie and at university entrance I had waist length hair. I don't remember how many cuts I had between times, but quite a few I think.

What wierd things people come out with.

iris
June 5th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Sounds to me like she's just teasing you :wink:. It's not true.

Iris

Tap Dancer
June 5th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I've never heard that one before. :lol: Don't worry; your hair will grow.

FrannyG
June 5th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I know everyone has answered you, but I just couldn't resist replying myself. I thought I'd heard all of the Old Wives tales by now, but this is a new one on me.

This one most definitely is not true. My hair grew quickly at 13, and it grows quickly now. I kept my hair relatively short in my teens, but it grew really fast.

My daughter went from a short pixie cut to below BSL in record time and I have the photos to prove it.

This myth is most definitely busted. :grin:

Saranne772
June 5th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Mine grew!

Blueneko
June 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Untrue. I went from shoulder to BSL from ages 16-18, with MANY trims in between. It was a glorious time of hair growth for me. I was so busy being a teenager it grew without much notice.

Your aunt is a silly bird.

Altocumulus
June 5th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I was fed some pretty weird stories by my parents during my teenage years too. These days I wonder if they just plain made it up or actually believed the utter nonsense they sometimes came out with.

Hair not growing between 16 and 18? I was maintaining waist length hair with regular sizeable trims at the time...

Greetings :D :D :D

katharine

I told my daughter when she was a preteen that she was going to build a chrysalis and pupate for a few years, after which she'd emerge as a fully formed adult, but oddly enough, she didn't believe me. ;)

PS, I grew out a pixie to BSL between ages 16 and 18.

MemSahib
June 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I went from a little below shoulder to waist during those years. What a strange comment from you aunt!

Pegasus Marsters
June 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Gosh, between 16 and 17 my hair grew from BSL to waist. Then I cut it offf. Between 17 and 18 it grew from pixie to shoulder. I'd say this is definately a myth and a silly one at that.

Either that or someone forgot to tell my hair that it's not meant to grow ;)

I have the pictures to prove it if you want ;)

Lova
June 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard! I'm just turned 16 and I expect my hair to grow lots ;)

flapjack
June 5th, 2008, 12:56 PM
If anything, one would think the opposite is true. You're in the middle of growing all over and you've got all those hormones going at light speed, hahaha.

I clearly remember my hair growing like a weed all through high school, I was getting huge trims every few months to maintain waist length and I remember having to self-trim my bangs every couple weeks.

Qamar
June 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Not to worry--your hair will continue to grow and before long those bangs will be where you want them. It sounds like she was pulling your leg, but its a rather mean joke if you are upset about a bad haircut! My daughter is 17, nearly 18 and her hair grows so fast that she's cut six inches off at a whack and hardly had it be noticeable.

yogachic
June 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I would call that a myth. Hair is constantly growing.

Juli414
June 5th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I think she's putting you on, unless she experienced hair issues at that age. In that case, she may have had health issues not related to age that affected her own hair growth.

Lamb
June 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Typical aunty-BS. Trust me I know, I have six of them. :rolleyes:

burns_erin
June 5th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Seemed to me that my teenage years were my fastest hair growing years, around an inch a month based on how fast my dye jobs grew out.

That being said, a lot does depend on health and hormones, the healthier you are, the healthier your hair is likely to be. So eat your veggies.

Nightshade
June 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, BS of the highest order.

The only shred of truth to it may be that a lot of teens start experimenting with dyes/cuts/flat irons/bleach at that age, so perhaps hair doesn't seem to be gaining as much length :confused: It's still growing, though.

kwaniesiam
June 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I'd be totally screwed if it were. My hair has definitely grown since I was 16, and has been cut :)

I'll be 18 soon and it's still growing!

Nevermore
June 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I grew out a very short (3 inches tops) haircut to "can I call this hip?" in about a year and a half. I didn't watch my growth before I hit an inch below shoulder and it's taken me from April of last year to late May of this year to go from there to "can I call this hip?", so I've added a few months to account for that.

Anyway, I'm 18 and a half now, so yeah. I also maintained that horrible short cut for the better part of a year and I had to trim ALL THE TIME. Nearly literally. I had to trim once a week to keep it that length.

Ohio Sky
June 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I shaved my head when I was 16.

It was most definitely NOT still shaved when I hit 18. It was halfway down my back and blue :D

Rebelkat
June 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
There is absolutely no truth to this myth. My hair actually grew very fast during that time period. As far as I know, there is no point where your hair just stops growing, so don't let this myth discourage you. Good luck in your long hair journey!:D

spidermom
June 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Sheer bull. I went from a pixie to BSL during those years.

Teacherbear
June 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
ROFLMAO . . . I KNOW that isn't true! I got my Dorothy Hamil hair cut at 15 and by the time I graduated from high school (at 17.5 years old) my hair was between shoulder and BSL (closer to BSL).

ColoradoDreamer
June 6th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I doubt that it's true. I was growing my hair out when I was in my teens, and I got the most growth during the time period from 16 to 18.

savi
June 6th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I get to use this :bs: finally.
I really don't get it where that kind of a thought could have come from..

Sanya
June 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
People are really creative. To think it up must have been quite difficult. Don't worry :D

HeatherAngela
June 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I had my hair cut from MBL to chin when I was 16 and when I was 18 it was back to MBL even having had a few trims back to shoulder in between. My hair has never had a period of time where it wasn't growing at least a little.

EnkaiNami
June 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Totally a myth! I'm 17 now, and it's grown a few inches in this year (genetics, basically. Mom's hair has always grown super fast...plus, the tips from the TLHC helped plent :) )

Islandgrrl
June 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Oh, that's just silliness.

Saoirse
June 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
My hair grew from my tailbone to the middle of my thighs during those two years. I think not. :P

ladystar
June 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
My hair got to tailbone at 17 - 18. Imagine how I got there. lol So not true. Dont worry, your hair will be long and beautiful.

lookingglass
June 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I shaved my head when I was 17; it grew to my shoulders by the time I was 19, bsl by 21 and stopped at my waist at 24.