PDA

View Full Version : Metal Hair Toys

Kaya
December 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
So, I was curious about what everyones' opinions were about metal hair toys. I don't know if there is a thread about this already, but I'm honestly wondering. I recently discovered the wonderful world of France Luxe (can I name names? :confused:) and I'm kinda addicted. With my first order, I got a free metal, french style barrett. It's gorgeous, but I don't want to do any damage to my hair. I read somewhere to avoid metal clips, barretts, and claws like they are the plague.

cindy58
December 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
I have a giant collection, and use them, though not every day by any means. A hair stick is more my everyday go to item.

I'm just careful when I use them, especially when removing them from my hair.

cataphract
December 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
I can't not tangle my hair in french barettes, however I think if you're able to use them without damaging your hair that you're fine! I would just pay attention to how it interacts with your own hair. Unfortunately my hairs just like to hang out in all the little crevices on them and no matter how careful I am they get tangled up and make a mess.

Madora
December 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
While I'm not much of a hairtoy fan, I do have a few vintage metal clips in my collection.

You do have to watch out for sharp edges and any crevices that might catch your strands.

Be extra careful taking out any metal barretts, etc.

ScarlettAdelle
December 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
When my hair gets caught in my metal hairtoys I sometimes use a set of jeweler's files to create smooth edges so my hair will slide out of the crevices just as easily as they slide in.. I also coat the contact areas of a lot of mine in acrylic paint with a lot of laytex so there's less sliding and therefore cutting of my hair, but that doesn't work in all situations. Best thing to do is try the toy out, if there's discomfort or breakage, never even consider putting it back in your hair. Good luck!

xoxophelia
December 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
I have a metal hair stick with a metal dangle and generally speaking I would say you just have to be careful putting it in and then taking it out. Don't force it, put your hair up too tight, and when you remove it be careful to take your time. If you do all of that, I doubt you will have much of a problem. People who are forceful with a wood hair stick will probably do more damage than somebody who is gentle with a metal one.

If the issue is barrettes, just make sure you don't try to put too much hair inside of it and do not close it down on your hair. Instead twist the section lightly and make sure all of it is contained before closing.