PDA

View Full Version : correct way of putting on conditioner?

baaaad_kitty
December 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Help please! I'm confused. I usually put on my conditioner at the tips, then bring my hair up to my scalp and sort of rub in the extra conditioner to it doesn't become greasy. Then I've been reading from other posters that I shouldn't be doing this because... I'm not sure. Why?

Madora
December 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
I believe LCH member Heidi W (who has fabulous knee length hair) once said that conditioner on the scalp might interfere with the acid mantle of the scalp.

Many here only condition there hair from the ears down.

patienceneeded
December 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
I think the reason to avoid bringing your length up to your scalp is to not create tangles. You don't need to condition your roots (well, most people don't need to), just the length. Bringing all your hair up to your scalp is just asking for tangled up hair. Shampoo just the scalp/hair closest to scalp and let the water/poo run down the length, it'll get clean enough. The apply conditioner to the length (ears down is a good measurement). There is no real need to get conditioner any higher up your head than ear-height. If you want, you could use a shower comb (make sure it is smooth, so you dont create breakage) to comb the conditioner through evenly, this could help distribute the conditioner to the scalp if you choose. I have an oily scalp, so I avoid getting conditioner anywhere near my scalp...ears down only for me. Rinse your hair and you're done! No tangles!

ScarlettAdelle
December 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Depending on the oiliness of your scalp, you can determine how close to get to your scalp with the conditioner. I've founf that putting small amounts of conditioner in my palm, rubbing my hands together and finger coming while allowing my hair to gently sweep across my palms distributes the conditioner evenly without creating breakage and helps shed the fallen hairs without them tangling with my still growing hair

spidermom
December 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
I put conditioner in my hand, let the ends soak in it for a minute or so, then move my hand up to about shoulder level and massage the conditioner in from there down. Sometimes I comb it through as well. I keep it away from my scalp.

andrea1982
December 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hair is at it's most fragile when wet, so any kind of "rubbing hair against itself" risks tangles and damage. I usually apply conditioner to the length of my hair from the ears down, and then gently "squish it" into my hair section by section, then when my hair is lubricated enough, I finger comb it through gently. Some hair types need conditioner near the scalp more (curlies/coarsies), if this is the case for you that's fine (some people use the CO method, which is washing with conditioner!) but I would avoid any kind of "rubbing" your ends and length on anything, even itself.

monsterna
December 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
No idea if I'm doing something wrong now, but since I've started CO, I condition all over. I've always conditioned all over, though, even pre-LHC. I can't just do my length either if I'm CO now; WO does nothing for my hair and I have to look presentable every (week)day. On days I don't CO, I CWC. In regards to your method, I wouldn't do that only because, as others have said, it could cause more tangles and it's more fragile.

Rebecca.1905
December 22nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
I agree, I think rubbing the hair against itself would cause tangling issues. I do put conditioner on my scalp tho - I've just started CWC, and when I do my final all over condition, I massage conditioner into my scalp. BUT -- I have a very dry scalp and that seems to help with itching and flaking. Not sure this would be a good thing if your scalp isn't really dry tho.

jojo
December 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
I apply to the ends, using a grabbing action. I also lightly condition the canopy as my hair goes frizzy else.

Lianna
December 22nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
No idea if I'm doing something wrong now, but since I've started CO, I condition all over. I've always conditioned all over, though, even pre-LHC. .

Me too, with no ill effects. Just CO or with shampoo. I never felt right doing just the length.

BeccaAngel
December 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
I think the reason to avoid bringing your length up to your scalp is to not create tangles. You don't need to condition your roots (well, most people don't need to), just the length. Bringing all your hair up to your scalp is just asking for tangled up hair. Shampoo just the scalp/hair closest to scalp and let the water/poo run down the length, it'll get clean enough. The apply conditioner to the length (ears down is a good measurement). There is no real need to get conditioner any higher up your head than ear-height. If you want, you could use a shower comb (make sure it is smooth, so you dont create breakage) to comb the conditioner through evenly, this could help distribute the conditioner to the scalp if you choose. I have an oily scalp, so I avoid getting conditioner anywhere near my scalp...ears down only for me. Rinse your hair and you're done! No tangles!

i never heard of this before, i always soak everything in conditioner from root to tip. i haven't had any problems with it either makes everything soft and smooth. but my hair is shorter and layered so i try to get everything.

Carolyn
December 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
I condition roots to ends. My hair seems to do better that way. Conditioner has never bothered my scalp. I can't imagine how one would do a CO wash without conditioner on the scalp. I avoid anything kind of rubbing. That would cause my hair to tangle and mat. I gently squeeze it down the entire length.

Angel_Abby
December 22nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
I condition roots to ends. My hair seems to do better that way. Conditioner has never bothered my scalp. I can't imagine how one would do a CO wash without conditioner on the scalp. I avoid anything kind of rubbing. That would cause my hair to tangle and mat. I gently squeeze it down the entire length.

I use this same technique. Piling your hair on your scalp can cause lots of damage--at least it does for me! :o I scrub conditioner into my scalp and kind of squeegee it down the length.

Quixii
December 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
I massage the conditioner into my hair from ears down, and then smooth the roots over with conditioner. When I first read here that you don't need to condition your roots, I tried skipping that - and was displeased with how it looks (frizzy and fly-away and uncooperative). So now I still conditioner everything, but I do put less conditioner than I used to on the area above my ears.

EmiliaF
December 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
I put conditioner on my scalp as well. I don't know how CO would work without that because that would be CO for the length and WO for the scalp?!
Maybe you can dilute the portion of the conditioner that you put on your scalp?

pepperminttea
December 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
I use the CWC method at the moment, with the second 'C' all over. I start at the temples, stroke it on until I reach my neck, when I pull my length over one shoulder and apply it with a downward motion, being very generous at the ends. I did try doing it just from ear length down but my temple frizzies were not happy, and my scalp hair is much softer for it; it doesn't make it oily any faster than normal for me. I do use an ACV rinse after every wash though, so I've never noticed the conditioner upsetting my scalp.

Igor
December 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Another one who always conditioned all over. Basically I smoosh the conditioner all along the length and scalp, then comb it and ignore it until rinsing :shrug:

Arctic_Mama
December 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
I don't know if it is the 'right' way to do it or not, but I glob conditioner on the last six inches of my hair to sit for a minute or two, and then put another glob on my hands and smooth it down the length of my hair from my ears down. I then squeeze the lengthen sections to push it through the wad of hair, so I don't have to rub or comb at it to get the conditioner to penetrate it (and therefore I don't break any strands or abrade it at all).

After that, I'll often smooth just a little bit of the conditioner left o. My hands over the crown of my hair, but not over my bangs, just to smooth the cuticle a bit. I rinse well, careful to not rub, pile, or yank at my hair, and that's that. My scalp isn't greasy, my ends are moisturized, and I dont have any snarls to contend with.

Arctic_Mama
December 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
I massage the conditioner into my hair from ears down, and then smooth the roots over with conditioner. When I first read here that you don't need to condition your roots, I tried skipping that - and was displeased with how it looks (frizzy and fly-away and uncooperative). So now I still conditioner everything, but I do put less conditioner than I used to on the area above my ears.

I noticed that too, which is why I started smoothing a bit over my crown as well. I don't let it sit very long, but just enough to make the cuticle smooth our and relax any potential flyaways.

caadam
December 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
I CO-wash from root to tip, too.
If I skipped my roots all the time, I would have very oily scalp with flakes and itch.
It wouldn't be nice.

Uni&Corn
December 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
I only condition my hair from the neck down (that is, it doesn't touch the scalp at all). Before, I used to pile it on my head and condition everywhere, but after I started my current method I've found my hair to be fluffier (in a good way, since my fine hair tends to go flat) and healthier.

maus
December 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
I only condition my hair from the neck down (that is, it doesn't touch the scalp at all). Before, I used to pile it on my head and condition everywhere, but after I started my current method I've found my hair to be fluffier (in a good way, since my fine hair tends to go flat) and healthier.
Exactly what I do - and I have fine hair, too. I guess it somewhat might depend on what kind of hair you have. Curly, thicker hair might require more conditioner, and it might not "flatten" curly and/or thick hair as much as fine and/or thin hair.

Lianna
December 22nd, 2010, 10:38 PM
A question for those that only condition from shoulders down. Would you not wear conditioner at all if your hair is shoulder length? How would you do?

jeanniet
December 22nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
I condition roots to ends, but use more from my ears down, and use the most on the last four inches or so. I just slap it on and gently squeeze it through the length.

jaine
December 23rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
I condition all over, before & during & after shampooing. My scalp would be way too dry if I only used shampoo on it (and my roots would feel very tangly and rough)

Venefica
December 23rd, 2010, 01:28 AM
I add conditioner to my hair like good sauce to to a steak, allot and all over the place. mostly on the tips but all over the scalp to. I do get some tangles, however if I do not use allot of conditioner my hair completely do it's own thing and I look like a troll.

Athena's Owl
December 23rd, 2010, 04:26 AM
Help please! I'm confused. I usually put on my conditioner at the tips, then bring my hair up to my scalp and sort of rub in the extra conditioner to it doesn't become greasy. Then I've been reading from other posters that I shouldn't be doing this because... I'm not sure. Why?

because you'll tangle your hair like whoa doing that! :shocked:

I generally put conditioner on the last eight inches of my hair, then get another dose of conditioner to cover from the nape to those ends, and then a third to smooth over my head. I let my hair fall down my back, I never pile it up on my head and rub it around. tangles! EEK!

when I have my hair saturated with conditioner I twist it into a loose coil and then clip it to my scalp with a jumbo jaw clip to keep it out of the spray while I was the rest of me. then I comb the tangles out in the shower spray and make sure to completely rinse all that conditioner out - even though i'm going to use a leave in as soon as I get out of the shower, heh.

Lianna
December 23rd, 2010, 04:47 AM
I'm curious what size is that "jumbo jaw clip" of yours. :p

Athena's Owl
December 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
I'm curious what size is that "jumbo jaw clip" of yours. :p

i'ts pretty jumbo! about 6 or 7 inches long, it opens to at least three inches wide.

09robiha
December 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
I rarely do mine in the shower nowadays. I spray my hair damp with a water bottle and then apply so I cant leave it to sit and soak in.

The way I apply is like I am making a ponytail.I take a small scoop or blob and smooth over the canopy then take a palmful and gather the rest of my hair up in a ponytail before smushing it in and smoothing it over. I'll add someto the ends if needed then use a hairstick or jaw clip to shove it into a bun.

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I keep conditioner away from the scalp because i still have a somewhat oily scalp from my teen years, so i dont want to add any extra moisture up there.

milagro
December 25th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I usually smooth conditioner from ears down but then when I am detangling I smear it all over anyway. I never noticed any extra greasiness, I think it mostly depends on how well you rinse it out. Though my scalp is not oily, maybe that's why.

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I like to put it everywear, then turn my hair upsidedown, and run my fingers into my scalp so it gets everywear, and leave it for 5 minutes. Then wash it out. So silky and soft. :)

Fufu
January 11th, 2011, 02:38 AM
from ear to ends, I usually concentrate more on the hair ends. Leave it for 3 to 5 minutes, rinse with lukewarm water and a final rinse with cold water.

cherokeesaint
January 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I put a lot of conditioner from ears to ends and then what ever is left I massage gently on to the roots.