PDA

View Full Version : Using 2-in-1 instead of shampoo?

jujube
December 21st, 2010, 10:24 PM
I tried searching for existing threads but didn't find anything, maybe I searched wrong. I wanted to know if anyone used a 2-in-1 (or mixing some conditioner with their poo), followed by a conditioner? Would that make sense for fighting the usual shampoo harshness? I haven't come across a non-sulfate shampoo that I liked, so it would logically be a great alternative. But I was also wondering if this was more or less just like CWC?

caadam
December 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM
I think I read somewhere in the forums that some people will dilute their shampoo
with water and then add more conditioner to the dilution... I think. -scratches head-
So it would clean their hair, but not be harsh, like you said.

But don't take my word for it. ^ ^; I'm not really sure because I've never tried it myself.

Vapunzel91
December 21st, 2010, 10:42 PM
I would not recommend the 2-in-1 from the stores. I always found that it broke more hair and damaged the hair that stayed in.

jaine
December 21st, 2010, 10:52 PM
I use John Masters 2 in 1 shampoo with conditioner ...I always like the smell of it and I use so little shampoo the price doesn't bother me because a bottle lasts many months. http://www.johnmasters.com/sc.htm

But I actually saturate my hair with conditioner before I put the 2-in-1 shampoo in it because even the gentlest shampoo leaves my hair feeling tangly if I skip that step.
Then I rinse it all out together and apply more of a richer conditioner after. My hairs tangly if I skip this step too but if I do it right then I get soft tangle-free hair.

Akiko
December 22nd, 2010, 12:57 AM
I tried several different brands. Never worked for me. My hair ended up dry.

DuckyDot
December 22nd, 2010, 05:06 AM
My Dad uses 2 in 1 (His hair is about MBL) His hair is dry and has split ends (All the way up the hair shaft!) So I'm giving his hair a trim. Would not recommend it!

Madora
December 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
I've never used a two in one type of product for the simple reason that shampoo is meant to clense and I want my hair clean before I use conditioner.

Pear Martini
December 22nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
I have tried 2-1 Garnier and wanted it to work, but it just brought out the worst in my color damaged hair

ktani
December 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
Many shampoos these days and those that are creamy in particular, include conditioner ingrediients in them although they are not called 2-in-1 shampoos.

Some are more successful than others.

A shampoo can still effectively cleanse the hair with certain kinds of additives, like coconut oil for example. It depends on how much of an additive is used.

Pear Martini
December 22nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Wow, are there any shampoos with coconut oil in them?

I know Aveda's dry remedy shampoo seems to add moisture, it has some kind of oil in it. Its a great product, but it can weigh my naturally big and puffy hair down. I wouldnt reccomend it for anyone who likes volume.

ktani
December 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Wow, are there any shampoos with coconut oil in them?

I know Aveda's dry remedy shampoo seems to add moisture, it has some kind of oil in it. Its a great product, but it can weigh my naturally big and puffy hair down. I wouldnt reccomend it for anyone who likes volume.

It has been reported to be best to create one, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191, to suit one's individual hair needs.

Pifkin
December 22nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
For the last couple of months I've been washing my hair with about (I've never really measured, just eyeballed) a 1:1:3 mixture of suave naturals shampoo:suave conditioner:water, followed by a more moisturizing conditioner afterwards, and it's worked pretty well for me. It's much less harsh and drying than the shampoo by itself, but definitely still gets it clean.

I'm going to try the oil shampoo my next wash though because I think that will work much better for me.

Intransigentia
December 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Personally I've never liked two in ones. They don't seem to clean particularly well, but they don't condition very well either. I think you can read more about mixing conditioner into your shampoo by searching for "C-COW-C" (like CWC washing but a different mixture in the middle)

lapushka
December 22nd, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have F, oily, hair. Regular shampoo is best for me, without cones, otherwise it will have about the same effect on my scalp as a 2 in 1, and I'll be left with hair that gets oilier quicker and that is a little more weighed down than normal, which is another reason I'm a bit apprehensive of the oil + shampoo combination.

JuneBride
December 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I just tried a V05 one and my hair and it feels like straw :(

lilravendark
December 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I use some organic 2n1 which also acts as a bodywash too , its got a fairy on the bottle and was about $3 it works great for me I only use it once fortnight, I'm lazy so I dont like leaving in conditioner and my hair is doing fine but I do like the sound of mixing in coconut oil with shampoo.