PDA

View Full Version : Movie Star Shampoo or CO?

shockinglength
December 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM
I currently Co, and I get buld up and it seams like I have to wash more often. And it takes forever to rinse out. Plus I spend alot of money on conditioner. I think I'll try the Movie Star Shampoo.....will it/is it better than Coing? What woud be a good oil to shampoo ratio to start off for me? I use a sls free shampoo.

boomtownrat
December 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
It's different for everybody, but I like the Movie Star Shampoo more than CO-washing.

Ratios are really a matter of experimenting to see what works, because it's not the same for everybody. From the beginning I've been using a 1:1 ratio of oil to shampoo and it's what has worked for me with the shampoo that I use regularly (luckily, the first thing I tried). When I've tried other shampoos in the same ratio, it hasn't worked nearly as well, so I've kept going back to what worked the first time and it still works. This is really a trial and error process.

Maybe it would be best to look through the results on the Movie Star Shampoo thread, see who has a hair type similar to yours, and base your first try on that.

little_cherry
December 21st, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hmm..I also like the movie star shampoo better than CO..I have reached saturation, so now I'll only have to use it once-twice a month between herb washings.

sibiryachka
December 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
I recently switched from SLS shampoo to sulfate-free. I'd been using a 2:1 shampoo-to-oil ratio with the SLS stuff; with the sulfate-free I've settled at 4:1 for now.
You also want to be sure to clarify thoroughly before trying the oil shampoo, especially if you've been COing for very long. Buildup is the enemy!

Intransigentia
December 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I also found coconut oil shampoo superior to CO.

Vorvolaka
December 22nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
CO does nasty things to my scalp, MS doesn't. So, personally, MS is far superior!

Kristin
December 22nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I CO most days and do MS shampoo 1-2 times a week. I like both, but I think shampooing daily (even with coconut oil) is too harsh for my hair and I can't stretch washes.

breezefaerie
December 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
MS for me as well. Gives me great shine, is super easy, and I love my hair again. Make sure you use a good shampoo and clarify before starting.

shockinglength
December 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Ok thanks...but whats the deal with saturation? Do I clarify with clarifing shampoo that I have first then use MS in the same shower?

boomtownrat
December 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Ok thanks...but whats the deal with saturation? Do I clarify with clarifing shampoo that I have first then use MS in the same shower?

Saturation is something I haven't reached yet, but as far as I can tell, you'll know you've reached it when your hair suddenly feels and looks oily from the same routine you've been using. There's a technical explanation that pertains to lauric acid filling the cortex of the hair, which it does more easily when your hair is free of residue (hence the need for clarifying before you start). ktani has written a much more thorough explanation -- I think you might be able to find it in her blog, which is linked in her signature in every post. The way she has her blog set up, she links to pertinent posts in the thread and it's all very organized.

Yes, you can clarify and then use the MSS in the same shower. :)

haibane
December 23rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
For me CO seems to leave my hair a bit softer and more moisturized, but also stringier, especially if I CO several times in a row, so I go back and forth right now.

boomtownrat
December 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM

I found a link to where ktani talks about this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1379119&postcount=1065) in the Movie Star Shampoo thread.

shockinglength
December 25th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks! I used a ratio of 1:1 on Thursday, and my roots are slightly oily now. After it dried it was soft, and fine to detangle, the weird build up was gone, it felt lighter, was more fly away ish, and a bit more dry to CO. I noticed ALOT more splits and spent a good part of the day S and Ding. Did MSS cause this? Also is it more harsh to shampoo the length twice weekly with coconut oil????? Or will tweaking Co be better for my hair? Any tips?

kattygf
December 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM
What is that??

shockinglength
December 25th, 2010, 02:40 PM
What is that??

MSS? Movie Star Shampoo. . .it's when you wash your hair with a ratio of coconut oil ad your normal shampoo. . . without using conditioner.

Elenna
December 25th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'd recommend NOT to use Johnson's Baby shampoo. Even with added coconut oil, it dried my hair which became evident after the oil was washed off. Baking soda is very drying too.

Currently I'm looking at Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo or Prell shampoo mixed with coconut oil. These items are available where I live. Ktani recommends finding basic shampoos.

shockinglength
December 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I'd recommend NOT to use Johnson's Baby shampoo. Even with added coconut oil, it dried my hair which became evident after the oil was washed off. Baking soda is very drying too.

Currently I'm looking at Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo or Prell shampoo mixed with coconut oil. These items are available where I live. Ktani recommends finding basic shampoos.

I use the live clean argan oil shampoo, wouldn't a more basic shampo be harsher on my hair and dry it out more, thus creating more damage?

MandaMom2Three
December 25th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I tried this last night and I am SOLD! I can't BELIEVE how soft, silky and shiny my hair is after!!!! I wouldn't have believed you in a million years I could go without conditioner, or use this much oil in my hair and not be greasy at all!!! Amazing, definitely better than CO for me!

boomtownrat
December 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks! I used a ratio of 1:1 on Thursday, and my roots are slightly oily now. After it dried it was soft, and fine to detangle, the weird build up was gone, it felt lighter, was more fly away ish, and a bit more dry to CO. I noticed ALOT more splits and spent a good part of the day S and Ding. Did MSS cause this? Also is it more harsh to shampoo the length twice weekly with coconut oil????? Or will tweaking Co be better for my hair? Any tips?

Coconut oil and shampoo shouldn't cause splits, but I guess it's possible that you might find existing splits more easily...? Sorry, I don't feel qualified to answer that question. You might want to ask in the original thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025) about that, because I don't think anybody else has reported split ends afterward.

Putting the oil in the shampoo should make it easier on the hair, so even if you're shampooing the length twice weekly, that wouldn't be as harsh as using straight shampoo that often. (Only rarely do I go more than two days without doing this and I don't find it damaging to my hair, but then my hair is only shag length right now.) Everybody in the original thread who's doing this seems to have the most success with the simplest shampoo possible, but it doesn't mean you have to use sulfates. There are some sulfate-free options listed as successful shampoos (the first post in the original thread should have links organized to find everything more easily than if you just read it straight through).

I don't know if you clarified first, but it's recommended to do that before using the coconut oil shampoo so that you don't have any coatings on your hair.

shockinglength
December 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Coconut oil and shampoo shouldn't cause splits, but I guess it's possible that you might find existing splits more easily...? Sorry, I don't feel qualified to answer that question. You might want to ask in the original thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025) about that, because I don't think anybody else has reported split ends afterward.

Putting the oil in the shampoo should make it easier on the hair, so even if you're shampooing the length twice weekly, that wouldn't be as harsh as using straight shampoo that often. (Only rarely do I go more than two days without doing this and I don't find it damaging to my hair, but then my hair is only shag length right now.) Everybody in the original thread who's doing this seems to have the most success with the simplest shampoo possible, but it doesn't mean you have to use sulfates. There are some sulfate-free options listed as successful shampoos (the first post in the original thread should have links organized to find everything more easily than if you just read it straight through).

I don't know if you clarified first, but it's recommended to do that before using the coconut oil shampoo so that you don't have any coatings on your hair.

Yes I clarified, maye I noticed more splits after my first MSS because all the coating of conditioner would have been gone.

ravenreed
December 26th, 2010, 10:44 PM
My first attempt at MS was not successful, but I am wanting to experiment more with it. I love what CO does for my hair, but like to change my routine from time to time. I am looking for a sls and protein free shampoo to work with and need to experiment. Why not just go for it?

SpinDance
December 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I'm in the middle of experimenting between coconut oil blended with shampoo and CO. After going protein and cone free CO started working for me, and now I've been trying oil shampoo blended as well. So far I like the results, but it will be a few more weeks before this round of experimentation is done and I'll decide for sure. I did find that rinsing with warmer rather than cooler water seemed better with the oil shampoo, as did leaving it on longer.

Chiara
December 27th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I find that you don't have to chose just CO or MSS, you can use both. For instance, I find that in winter, CO can be good due to the dry air, but MSS is good in summer. I also use CO in between washing with shampoo (MSS or just CWC) to stretch out shampoo washes in the summer.

boomtownrat
December 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Yes I clarified, maye I noticed more splits after my first MSS because all the coating of conditioner would have been gone.

Yeah, that makes sense.

If you do MSS long enough, you hopefully won't need conditioner. I haven't used any in nearly a month and my hair is the softest it's been since before I ever dyed it more than 21 years ago. Maybe your hair needs to go through a sort of adjustment period, like there is with most routine changes? If you're still interested in trying it, I hope you'll find the right way to adapt it to your needs. (Some people do use a conditioner at first.)

JuneBride
December 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hmm..I also like the movie star shampoo better than CO..I have reached saturation, so now I'll only have to use it once-twice a month between herb washings.

what does saturation mean? and what happens when you reach it?

JuneBride
December 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I CO. My hair hates Shampoo. When I shampoo I get extreme shedding!

dropinthebucket
December 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Read through ktani's article - thanks, ktani! brilliant, as usual - have a question, though: right now I'm using shampoo bars (a castor-oil based one, and a coconut-oil based one). Is this the same thing as the movie star shampoo, but in convenient, pre-made solid form? Or should I be adding an oil to my lather from the shampoo bar? I really like these bars, but I've been finding that after several washes, they don't clean as well, and I have to do an aggressive vinegar rinse. After that, it's ok for several washes again. Or, if I use too much oil on a pre-oiling, it will never come out well with the bars. I have to use a bit of LiveClean's clarifying shampoo (non-SLS) if that happens. Will the movie star method cause the same issues? Thanks for any advice! I really need to tweak my routine, hair is behaving badly this winter. Naughty hair. ;)

pariate
February 6th, 2011, 08:40 AM
MS oil shampoo for me. CO seemed to exacerbate my scalp problems. I appear to have better results with my hair when I get my scalp properly clean. Using a sulfate shampoo with the coconut oil acting as a buffering agent is working very well for me thus far. I started at the beginning of December. We'll see how it works out over the long term but, as I have stated elsewhere, the principle seems sound to me - sulfate shampoos are too harsh for my fine, curly and it seems far more sensible to add a gentle and effective buffering agent to the shampoo rather than trying to rectify dryness by adding various conditioners which do of course all leave very UNnatural deposits on the hair!

pariate
February 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I CO. My hair hates Shampoo. When I shampoo I get extreme shedding!

I used to feel the same way, but my shedding has reduced dramatically with the MS method. I should however point out that I can't tell if the shedding has reduced because of the oil added to shampoo, or if it's because my scalp condition was cleared up by using Nizoral medicated shampoo. When I started the Nizoral I also started the MS method, so was mixing the oil into it.

As far as saturation is concerned, I'm not too clear on that myself, but you could take a look through the replacement thread which was started a couple of days ago here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063 or go to the original oil shampoo thread here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025 . Hope that helps.

Sanyia
February 6th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I alternate between the two, depending on what my scalp wants.

SpinDance
February 6th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I've been alternating between CO and oil shampoo also with quite good results. I am still tweaking my oil shampoos, as I use up a couple clear ones I already had, trying different amounts of oil with them. So far if I use the oil shampoo too often my ends feel dry, but if I do a CO or so between then it is fine.

proo
February 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Those of you who alternate CO and MSS, must you clarify the conditioner out before each MSS?

Speedbump
February 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I haven't done CO in a couple of years, but I remember it clearly. I like oil shampoo better. A lot less scalp irritation and buildup, and a lot shorter drying time. :)

SpinDance
February 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Those of you who alternate CO and MSS, must you clarify the conditioner out before each MSS?

Nope, I haven't been pleased with results when I tried clarifying, it dried my hair out terribly. I don't know if this will be my long term routine, it's too early to tell and I'm not done with my various experiments. However, so far I have been pleased with the results and my hair keeps getting slowly better and better.

Deborah
February 7th, 2011, 01:11 AM
My experience is the opposite. I tried the oil shampoo thing for three weeks, and hated it the whole time. It left my hair FULL of static and tangles, and it was even harder to work with than usual.

CO works much better for me. My hair is not at all porous, so I don't think the oil was able to do anything good for me. I think maybe my hair is unusual in this way. I don't really know.

milagro
February 7th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I CO and am quite happy with it. I haven't tried oil shampoo so I have a couple questions:
1. Does it take as much water as CO? I really use like a minor lake' amount and I am a bit worried about doing CO when I will be staying in the rest house in summertime, the boiler capacity is limited and I'm not selfish enough to use all hot water for my hair :)
And 2), I have very sensitive scalp which greatly benefited from ditching shampoo, does oil help avoid this problem or just make it less drying for hair only? TIA!

SpinDance
February 7th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I CO and am quite happy with it. I haven't tried oil shampoo so I have a couple questions:
1. Does it take as much water as CO? I really use like a minor lake' amount and I am a bit worried about doing CO when I will be staying in the rest house in summertime, the boiler capacity is limited and I'm not selfish enough to use all hot water for my hair :)
And 2), I have very sensitive scalp which greatly benefited from ditching shampoo, does oil help avoid this problem or just make it less drying for hair only? TIA!

Milagro, I find I need a lot less water using oil shampoo, as I don't have nearly as much rinsing and rinsing and rinsing to do. It comes out fast and is very simple.

As for whether it will bother your scalp, I'm afraid I don't know. I would guess that the oil will help protect the scalp more, but everyone is different and our reactions to things are also different. and to keep things yet more 'interesting' results change over time. :/

My experience is the opposite. I tried the oil shampoo thing for three weeks, and hated it the whole time. It left my hair FULL of static and tangles, and it was even harder to work with than usual.

CO works much better for me. My hair is not at all porous, so I don't think the oil was able to do anything good for me. I think maybe my hair is unusual in this way. I don't really know.

Wow, you are very persistent! I'm sorry that your oil shampoo experiment was so terrible. The only 2 times that I had static was when I used a very dilute ACV rinse. Took me a bit to figure that one out, since the oil shampoo instructions seemed to call for some sort of acidic rinse. I decided that since I use modern shampoos (currently using Suave Naturals Strawberry in my oil shampoo) I don't need the acid rinse to balance the pH.

You are very lucky to have non-porous hair. We are all different and in my view that's a good thing. The wonder of LHC is that so many different ways of doing things are available to be learned so that we can each find the one(s) that work for us.

pariate
February 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I found that the amount of static I experienced with the oil shampoo method varied depending on which shampoo I used. With Nizoral I get no static to speak of. The Sally's shampoo caused awful static and generally made my hair feel weird. So far the Garnier one I'm using doesn't give me any noticable static. My ongoing experiences and experiments with the oil shampoo are detailed in my blog.

milagro
February 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Milagro, I find I need a lot less water using oil shampoo, as I don't have nearly as much rinsing and rinsing and rinsing to do. It comes out fast and is very simple.

As for whether it will bother your scalp, I'm afraid I don't know. I would guess that the oil will help protect the scalp more, but everyone is different and our reactions to things are also different. and to keep things yet more 'interesting' results change over time. :/

Thanks a lot, I think I will need to try this method and see. Is SLS poo necessary or a milder one is ok, too? I know there's a huge thread on it and I'm going to read it, but it is, well, huge :D

SpinDance
February 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
milagro, I'm only on page 49 of the huge original thread, but from what I've read so far it doesn't seem to matter as much what kind of soap/shampoo you use, but the most consistently good results were from ones with fewer ingredients. Some people used shampoo bars, some used SLS, some used non-SLS. The key seems to be finding a blend that works for you. Some folks use way more shampoo/soap than oil, some use way more oil, some about 1:1. It also looked like some used 2 blends, one with more oil for the ends and length, and one with less oil for the scalp.

I have been using shampoo that I had around, so won't be buying more until this is closer to gone. There is definitely a chemical reaction between the shampoo ingredients and the oil. In fact, the 2 shampoos I have acted very differently both during blending and on my hair. I've been keeping track of my experiment in my blog.

milagro
February 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM
SpinDance, thanks again, I will have a big reading soon! :D