PDA

View Full Version : General question for bun wearers...

shikara
December 21st, 2010, 06:05 PM
Until now I have never worn buns, but recently found one that works for my hair type with 3 small clips. Of course now I am very aware of my head - is it staying up, is any damage being caused to the hair? What I would like to know is - is it normal to feel areas of gentle pressure on your head - it is not a tugging or pulling really - more like gentle pressure in some places, or should it not feel any different than if your hair was down. This may be a silly question, but bear with me please...

LornaDoone
December 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
A gentle pressure is normal. As long as you aren't in pain and your bun stays in place you are good. I would, however, change the position of the clips every time you wear the bun to minimize potential damage over time.

pepperminttea
December 21st, 2010, 06:26 PM
It's normal as far as I know. There are styles that tug more than others, and often things do pull the odd strand (sometimes fixed just by redoing the style), but the general feeling of weight on the back of the head is expected. :shrug: I find the nearest style comfort-wise to wearing the hair down is a single low braid, but it's not as protective for the ends as a bun. You can use updos that distribute the weight more evenly than a bun; if you've got the length for it, hair taping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME) or any coronet-based style are said to work brilliantly for this. :)

joiekimochi
December 21st, 2010, 08:02 PM
I feel a weight at the back of my head when I wear a bun. It's normal, since the hair is all pulled back and compressed into a single area, whereas when your hair is down, the weight is distributed everywhere.

Leabhar
December 21st, 2010, 08:10 PM
I think it's normal pressure if it's general, too. If anything I find the jaw clips catch on my hair so I tend to go with sticks, pins, and hair scroos whenever possible.

Delila
December 21st, 2010, 08:26 PM
If my updo is pinned just right, I pretty much forget it's there completely, but as others have said, a bit of not-uncomfortable pressure is okay.

I'd say, so long as you're not putting undue strain on your scalp, or on any individual hairs, you should be fine.

I sometimes find that it's just more comfortable if I redo my style, sometimes my first attempt just doesn't settle just right.

Torrin Paige
December 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
I wear buns a lot and no matter the style, you're aware of it. My hair is a bit on the heavy side, so I find myself switching my buns up during the course of a day as wearing it in the same style for hours straight tends to give me a headache. For example, I put it up in a pretzel bun on the upper part of my head...a few hours later I'll switch it up to a Nautilus lower on my head...then I'll stick it way up top in Spidermom's bun, or slap it in a cinnabun or what have you. I find that moving it around seems less stressful on both my head and my hair. Now braids? I can wear either a French braid or pigtails for a couple of days. LOL. Although I tend to take them down and put them back up because they look a bit fuzzy after sleeping on them.

nowxisxforever
December 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM
Pretty normal! After a while you won't even notice it. Having my hair down has a distinctly 'odd' feeling to it, whereas a bun feels 'normal' weight-wise.