PDA

View Full Version : Water! Best water for washing hair.

Infinity
December 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM
I've learned (the hard way; no pun intended) that different types of water yield different results.
Hard water is terrible. My hair is curly, so perhaps it's only harsh on curly hair? The best thing to do is get a water softener. If you live in a condo, as I do, this can't be done. So, here is my short list of water choices:

Hard water as is.....no softner = bad results.
Softened municipal water = better results.
Bottled, DISTILLED water = better results.
Spring water.....haven't tried yet.
Rain water.....haven't tried yet.
Dehumidifier rendered water...the water you get in the tank...questionable. Haven't tried it yet. Risky because it contains all the dust and pollution from the air. Non potable. I'm going with the theory if you shouldn't drink it, your hair doesn't want it either.

Has anyone tried rain, spring, or dehumidifer water? Any difference? i can't use my local hard water anymore. What a difference water makes!

Infinity (Curly and trying to get long)

MissCoco
December 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hi Infinity, I use rain water when the weather's warm and it makes my hair quite curly and soft, which is great! :D

soobie
December 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
The best thing to do is get a water softener. If you live in a condo, as I do, this can't be done.

You can get inline water softeners that attach to the shower head. Google "shower filter" or "shower head softener". Here are a few examples. (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awater%20softener%20shower%20head&page=1)

Night_Kitten
December 22nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
I tried mineral bottle water (bottled drinking water) and distilled water (the one that can be bought to put in car radiators and such, with no salts at all). Both were WAY better than my tap hard water, and between the two the distilled water was better than the bottled drinking water, though not by very much... Also I discovered that the importent thing is the last rince, meaning I can wash with my tap water and then do a final rince with the distilled water, and get great results (probably because all the solts are rinced out of my hair and don't get deposited on it as it dries)...
Would love to try rain water, but haven't managed to collect clean rain water yet (my cats love to play with it and put their muddy paws in it, so by the time I come to collect it, it's not usable for anything but irrigation... :o)

PolarCathy
December 22nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
I came home from the (intact) north of Sweden to Budapest. I don't know if it's the weather (foggy, dirty, I mean it's a capital, cars etc, unlike the place where I live in SWE) or the weather plus the tap water but it pretty much screwed up my WO routine. I have been OK with WO for several months. By the third day here, my hair was so horrendously sticky that I washed with egg yolk today. I think it is the tap water plus the fog. I don't want to rinse with vinegar but I am afraid I will have to. For the record, my latest discovery was rinsing with melted snow in Sweden which seemed to be just perfect.

:brains: :wail:

Felix_D
December 22nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Bottled, DISTILLED water = better results.

How do you wash your hair in distilled water? Do you use a bowl or spray bottle or what?

Infinity
December 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Hello, all, this is the OP.
Thank you all for responding/submitting to my thread.

I got excited about trying rain water after MissCoco said she liked rain water. Then, it occurred to me I won't be seeing any rain for several months!! It's freezing here! So I'm going to wait for a good snow (which should be forthcoming rather shortly) and wash in snow melt.

PolarCathy just reported using snow melt. Which I'm sure the Swedish snow is a lot purer than my NJ snow, but I will be trying this shortly.

Soobie suggested the shower head softner/filter. I admit, I actually had one of these and gave it away. Namely because I wasn't about to give up my shower head massage! But I'm also not convinced the little gadget is as effective as the whole house water softener. Has anyone had noticeble improvement after using the shower head softner/filter?

Night-Kitten had good results with mineral water, but not as good as distilled. I theorize the improvement of distilled water is based on the absence of minerals. Obviously, mineral water still has minerals, but there is the absence of rust and other debris that winds up in water from it passing through our pipes.

Felix D, and others who asked about my bottled distilled water M.O. : I'm still experimenting but here's what I did.: The water comes in gallons. In the shower, I dump the gallon over my head to wet it. but i collect it in a basin to -re-use it again after shampooing. I usually need additional water, but this way I'm using as little as possible. It's a lot of work to lug all those gallons from my car to condo..... a good 600 yards! You can also use distilled water in your spay bottle for wetting your second (3rd, 4th) day hair.

Will report back after it snows to see how suburban NYC snow melt works on hair!

PolarCathy
December 23rd, 2010, 02:55 AM
Hi! I would be very careful with the NY snow *** It can be polluted just like acidic water. InLuleå ( whe I live) I can drink it but I wouldn't try the same thing here in Budapest, I am not sure I would even put it on my hair.

*** update: I misread your location and thought it was NY which would be polluted for sure. It's morning and I can't read yet : ))

milagro
December 23rd, 2010, 03:16 AM
I live in Moscow and I don't even dream of using rain or snow melt water here :D but in summertime when I stay in our rest house in the country I use spring or artesian water (usually mix depends on how warm/cold I want it to be) to wash and it makes a huge difference. It takes much less shampoo to clean scalp and hair is soft even w/o conditioner.

spigette
December 23rd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Hi all!

In my village in rural Nova Scotia, Canada, everyone has water issues. Most people (including myself) buy water for drinking or get it from a local spring in big 5 gallon (18L) bottles. My well water is very high in iron and sulphur and leaves lime deposits on pots. I don't even cook with it. We also have an enormous (20ft x 15ft by 12 ft deep) rain water cistern supplied by our big steep roof, which holds about 25,000 gallons or 10,000 litres.

The people who designed and built our house came up with a clever way around the water issue - the rain water cistern supplies the hot water tank, while the well water supplies the cold water. So the toilets and cold water faucets come from the well, but when you bathe, it is mostly rain water with a bit of well-water to cool it down.

I have found a big difference in my hair since moving here last year. It is softer and wavier, and I swear it is growing faster too!!

nereida
December 23rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
Hello there!

I agree, I remember when I was living in Italy - I needed to wash my hair everyday and the same day I had washed it, I needed to reply it or hide myself somewhere, because it looked just scary. The water there has just another taste, smell, etc. I understand that not only water could cause my hair problems, because there is another climatic zone, but when I came back to Poland my hair regained its health and my problems have gone :)

Infinity
December 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM
This is the OP.
I live 15 miles West of NYC, so the rain?snow can't possibly be as polluted as in the city. I still haven't tried either one, becuase neither one has happened! It's stayed well below freezing all month, but no prcip. Hmmm.
May I ask, exactly what is the difference between using rain water or snow melt, from the exact same location? Wouldn't they be one and the same?

Hi all!

In my village in rural Nova Scotia, Canada, everyone has water issues. Most people (including myself) buy water for drinking or get it from a local spring in big 5 gallon (18L) bottles. My well water is very high in iron and sulphur and leaves lime deposits on pots. I don't even cook with it. We also have an enormous (20ft x 15ft by 12 ft deep) rain water cistern supplied by our big steep roof, which holds about 25,000 gallons or 10,000 litres.

The people who designed and built our house came up with a clever way around the water issue - the rain water cistern supplies the hot water tank, while the well water supplies the cold water. So the toilets and cold water faucets come from the well, but when you bathe, it is mostly rain water with a bit of well-water to cool it down.

I have found a big difference in my hair since moving here last year. It is softer and wavier, and I swear it is growing faster too!!
I have yet to try well water, or artesian water. Geesh, kinda forgot about thise two, sine I don't currently have access. Something to aim for !

Hello there!

I agree, I remember when I was living in Italy - I needed to wash my hair everyday and the same day I had washed it, I needed to reply it or hide myself somewhere, because it looked just scary. The water there has just another taste, smell, etc. I understand that not only water could cause my hair problems, because there is another climatic zone, but when I came back to Poland my hair regained its health and my problems have gone :)
That's so strange! I lived in Italy as well. We did not ever drink the tap water. We only drank Aqua Minerale, and cooked with Spring water which we gathered ourselves. As for hairwashing...they were against it! Wanted me to just dry rub it with......of course..... Olive Oil. Do you think that water that is not good to drink is harmful on the hair? I guess I was right for not using dehimidifier rendered water!

PolarCathy
December 24th, 2010, 04:35 PM
May I ask, exactly what is the difference between using rain water or snow melt, from the exact same location? Wouldn't they be one and the same?

Without any proof, I would say probably not. My common sense tells me that since the snowflakes have a larger surface per weight potentially dissolving stuff from the air, the snow would be more polluted than the rain (for the same - liquid - volume). Not that I have any choice, I live in the arctic region of Sweden so no rain until... May or so..

On the other hand, air tends to be purer when cold so it's prob the same anyways. Dunno.

Infinity
December 26th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hmmmmmm. Good point. Well, we had a blizzard here today. The first snow of the year, happening right on Christmas night. Which, according to the Santa Claus is Coming to Town show, is suppposed to be MAGIC snow! So, will it perform magic on my hair? I'l find out in a few days. Will gather some up in the AM then use it in time for New Year's Eve. Or would that be the wrong time to experiment with questionable water?

Lianna
December 27th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Washing my hair with special water would be costly to me, I can't afford that luxury. I don't think my water is hard, well I never had any problems with it. If it was, I think I would just clarify more.

milagro
December 27th, 2010, 05:31 AM
This is the OP.
I live 15 miles West of NYC, so the rain?snow can't possibly be as polluted as in the city. I still haven't tried either one, becuase neither one has happened! It's stayed well below freezing all month, but no prcip. Hmmm.

Actually 15 miles is much too close to be sure of no pollution. If you consider rains or snow comes down from clouds which travel thousands miles easily and the fact that wind brings all those dirty things and condensation, too...

Infinity
December 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Washing my hair with special water would be costly to me, I can't afford that luxury. I don't think my water is hard, well I never had any problems with it. If it was, I think I would just clarify more.
It doesn't have to be costly. I did buy a case (6 gallons) of distilled water for $7 USD. Since i'm trying to wash only once a week, that's only about a dollar a week.
Also, I've been asking my BF to bring me a gallon of water from his house when he comes, as he does have a water softner. So that's free!
I got 32" of snow here last night. So, guess what I'm washing my hair in next? Yup! Snow melt! Ambitious, or wierd? Hmmmm. hey, I'm the king of trying to do things cheaply. I spend less money on my beauty care than any of my friends. No beauty parlor in 20 years.

Infinity
December 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Actually 15 miles is much too close to be sure of no pollution. If you consider rains or snow comes down from clouds which travel thousands miles easily and the fact that wind brings all those dirty things and condensation, too...
So, you think my rain and snow might still have the NYC grime in it? Hmmm. A good possibility. Does it matter that I'm at a higher elevation than the city? Where I live the altitude is high enough that I can look down and see the entire NYCity skyline. It was always an amazing sight before that whole World Trade center tragedy. Well, I'll find out soon...I have enough snow outside now to keep me bathed all year!

Hummy
December 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Rain water is wonderful. When I went to the countryside during my summer vacations, I always washed my hair with rain water. My aunt refused to let me wash my hair with any other water available. The rain water made my hair very soft and shiny. All I needed for hair care was her homemade soap, rain water and vinegar.

Infinity
December 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Rain water is wonderful. When I went to the countryside during my summer vacations, I always washed my hair with rain water. My aunt refused to let me wash my hair with any other water available. The rain water made my hair very soft and shiny. All I needed for hair care was her homemade soap, rain water and vinegar.
Wow! Rain water sounds awesome! But all I have around here is snow...and lots of it! Did you know, if you fill a bucket with snow, and bring it in the house, it takes 2 days to melt. You are then left with about 1 1/2 cups of snow water. A very time consuming way of getting hair water. Well, that's what I'll be pooing in for New Year's Eve!

jeanniet
December 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I have hard well water with a fairly high mineral content. We have an iron filter, but it doesn't get everything. I use water chelated with citric acid for mixing with conditioner for COing and making herbal rinses, and I always do a final weak citric acid rinse. No more build up on my hair, and the need for clarifying has been greatly reduced.

milagro
December 29th, 2010, 02:43 AM
So, you think my rain and snow might still have the NYC grime in it? Hmmm. A good possibility. Does it matter that I'm at a higher elevation than the city? Where I live the altitude is high enough that I can look down and see the entire NYCity skyline. It was always an amazing sight before that whole World Trade center tragedy. Well, I'll find out soon...I have enough snow outside now to keep me bathed all year!
yes I suspect rain/snow water is very likely to be polluted no matter where you live ' cause there's no way to know where that particular cloud comes from :) Lots of snow here as well :waving:
I think spring or artesian water is much safer, it's being filtered naturally, unless there are some ground water pollution / problems in your area.

ETA It's off topic (mods sorry) but I took these pictures yesterday at my place, it's so Christmas:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6913&pictureid=91767 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6913&pictureid=91766
This snow does look pure but I'm still prejudiced :D

Infinity
December 29th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I have hard well water with a fairly high mineral content. We have an iron filter, but it doesn't get everything. I use water chelated with citric acid for mixing with conditioner for COing and making herbal rinses, and I always do a final weak citric acid rinse. No more build up on my hair, and the need for clarifying has been greatly reduced.
How do you do a citric acid rinse? How do you put citric acid in water?

Mírien
December 30th, 2010, 01:37 AM
The water in my area is quite hard but I have never tried anything else on my hair so I cannot tell whether it would be happier with any other alternatives. But we have two artesian wells in town and I may try them when I have more time. :D Rainwater and snow I do not really trust. I live in the countryside with quite healthy air but as some of you have mentioned you can never know where the clouds come from.

maus
December 30th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I have used rainwater before (run it through a coffee filter before I use it), and liked it. Also, since I live in California, during the spring through fall months without any rain I use Brita-filtered water, and it seems to be working fine....

milagro
December 30th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Maus, how do you do that with filter? I need a lot, no, A LOT of water to wash, I just can't imagine how many jars I would have to do this way.
It's much easier in the country house, there the well water comes directly to the boiler, but how to do that with Brita?

jeanniet
December 31st, 2010, 10:05 AM
How do you do a citric acid rinse? How do you put citric acid in water?
Sorry, I've been out of town or I would have replied sooner. I do a weak rinse. I have a big pitcher and add 1/4 tsp. of citric acid crystals and then half a gallon of our well water. I use this as a final rinse and don't rinse it out. The citric acid binds to the minerals and prevents them from depositing on the hair. I used to have a lot of problems with build up and having to clarify all the time, but this method has really helped my hair a lot.

Infinity
December 31st, 2010, 03:02 PM
The reason I started this thread is becuase I live in a hard water area, and my hair hates my water!
So I'm experimenting with outside water choices. I've been reading a lot of metions of Vinegar rinse and Citric acid rinse. Is this to rinse out the hard water meneral deposits? Woudl'nt this whole issue be eliminated if you stopped using harf water int he first place?
I just got done washing in SNOW. And I'm going out for New YEar's Eve shortly. I'll report back. I think it may not have been the grandest of ideas.
Hey, ya gotta try, right?

Infinity
January 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
The reason I started this thread is becuase I live in a hard water area, and my hair hates my water!
So I'm experimenting with outside water choices. I've been reading a lot of metions of Vinegar rinse and Citric acid rinse. Is this to rinse out the hard water meneral deposits? Woudl'nt this whole issue be eliminated if you stopped using harf water int he first place?
I just got done washing in SNOW. And I'm going out for New YEar's Eve shortly. I'll report back. I think it may not have been the grandest of ideas.
Hey, ya gotta try, right?
Hmpf. Well, Milagro may have a point about washing in snow. I did it last night. And while my hair did come out super curly, it had a dull finish. No shine at all. As if the shine was sanded off.
Some of you reported wonderful results from rain. But I won't be seeing rain for several months! I'll let you know about my rain experiment in April!

Charlotte:)
January 1st, 2011, 02:31 PM
I've heard that if you mix about 3 teaspoons of baking soda in a cup of hard water, it will soften it. I once filled a water bottle with this solution, rinsed my hair with it, let it sit for about a minute, and then rinsed it again with my regular hard water. My hair was indeed softer than usual when it dried. I'm not sure how this worked or how it would effect curly hair, but if I wasn't so lazy I would rinse my hair with it every week!

jeanniet
January 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't use rain water unless you either live in a very pristine area or run it through a filter. Rain picks up all the dirt, soot, and other pollutants in the air as it comes down, so it's not really that clean--same thing with snow. It may look clean, but it's not. Chelating resolves the mineral problem, and the water is clean to begin with.

I'm not sure about baking soda softening hard water, but I would be very cautious about adding large amounts of it to water, as it can be very harsh on hair. If I do BS washes, I use a very small amount of BS (1/8 t.). They should be followed with an acid rinse to counteract the alkalinity of the BS.

Lianna
January 3rd, 2011, 10:45 PM
It doesn't have to be costly. I did buy a case (6 gallons) of distilled water for $7 USD. Since i'm trying to wash only once a week, that's only about a dollar a week.
Also, I've been asking my BF to bring me a gallon of water from his house when he comes, as he does have a water softner. So that's free!
I got 32" of snow here last night. So, guess what I'm washing my hair in next? Yup! Snow melt! Ambitious, or wierd? Hmmmm. hey, I'm the king of trying to do things cheaply. I spend less money on my beauty care than any of my friends. No beauty parlor in 20 years.

Costly to some might not be to others...also I wash my hair everyday, sometimes rinse twice a day. I live in a very hot tropical climate, most of the time I can't stand hair touching me. I don't know if my water is hard, after reading an article on it, I don't think it is.

Gilly
January 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM
I am being a bit stupid today and can't figure out how much Citric Acid I need in my 4ltr bottle.
Can anyone help me please?????:o