PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil + Monistat?

~BoHemiAngel~
December 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Ok, I'm sold on the wonders of Monistat. (Almost 3 inches of growth in a little over three months- woo hoo!!) I often "cut it" with something, like blend it with this other hair product I have to make it last a little longer. I have also been reading about Castor oil applications and how they help to increase thickness... so I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried combining castor oil with Monistat for increased thickness and faster growth (and had success with that), or am I just pushing my luck? :o

MinderMutsig
December 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
I don't mix them but my MN brand has mineral oil in it and it helps to oil your hair to get that out so after the MN has been on my head for a couple of hours or overnight, I oil my scalp with a castor and jojoba oil mix and leave that for a couple of hours too before CO-ing it out.

It seems to work great. If I do this two to three times a week my hair grows about 1 cm a week which is about 1.5 to 2 inches a month.

MClass
December 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
This is a good question!

~BoHemiAngel~
December 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
I don't mix them but my MN brand has mineral oil in it and it helps to oil your hair to get that out so after the MN has been on my head for a couple of hours or overnight, I oil my scalp with a castor and jojoba oil mix and leave that for a couple of hours too before CO-ing it out.

It seems to work great. If I do this two to three times a week my hair grows about 1 cm a week which is about 1.5 to 2 inches a month.

Wow, that's an incredible growth rate! I will try it this way for a while and see what happens! Thanks for your input. :heart:

Rocket22
December 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM

Oh my I might have to try this as well!!! I have sorta of been using the MN just not to faithful but think I will have to bump it up and pay more attention. (Im just using it on top layer to have it catch up with rest of hair)

Rebelkat
December 22nd, 2010, 12:00 PM

That's INSANE growth! I'm still waiting a couple of months to see how the peppermint/rosemary oil is affecting my growth rate/thickness, but this is definitely going on my list of possible future experiments.

bunzfan
December 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
I am going to try the Mn mixed with caster oil so if i have some crazy growth i will let you know and post pics .

Rebelkat
December 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
I am going to try the Mn mixed with caster oil so if i have some crazy growth i will let you know and post pics .
That would be awesome! I love before/after pics. :drama:

bunzfan
December 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
That would be awesome! I love before/after pics. :drama:

So do i :) i will be applying it every 2 days. I did notice last night that it makes your roots greasy but that soon came out when i CO-Washed .

JuneBride
January 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I am now an occasional monistat user but its been getting expensive.

I had been seeing castor oil mentioned here and there...so I tried it tonight.

It was was too sticky and did not wash out well at all. I had to CO twice and its still not really all out. At least the monistat rinses right out with WO.

So...its back to the Moni$tat!

2vette2camaro
January 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM
What is Monistat? I am interested.

T.L.T.
January 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
It is a brand of cream for yeast infections, that can be bought at drugstores.

http://www.monistat.com/our-products.jsp

It is supposed to promote a healthier scalp / growing environment for hair, from what I understand. I have not tried it yet though, I should point out. I have been reading mostly positive results from everyone on here though, so I am thinking of it.

longlockenvy
January 14th, 2011, 02:21 PM
So, I just went to walmart and bought Equate brand monistat 2%, castor oil, and MSM. lol I dont even know where to begin!

ddiana1979
January 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I've been thinking of mixing Monistat, castor oil, and aloe. Aloe soothes the scalp, and my theory is, it will dilute out the castor enough that it won't be quite so sticky.

nahla81
January 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I'm gonna try this!!!

Shicurls
January 15th, 2011, 12:07 AM
How funny that I saw this thread tonight! I just mixed my MN with Castor Oil and Rosemary EO's for a much needed scalp massage and overnight treatment! I also cut it with a bit of water, mix them all together, use a dropper and distribute the mix throughout my scalp! I am hoping to see a vast improvement this month!

MClass
January 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I can sleep with Monistat on my scalp but not castor oil its too thick and messy. I just started doing monistat one day after washing, and on wash day a castor oil mix.

I will report back :)

Roscata
January 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I am now an occasional monistat user but its been getting expensive.

I had been seeing castor oil mentioned here and there...so I tried it tonight.

It was was too sticky and did not wash out well at all. I had to CO twice and its still not really all out. At least the monistat rinses right out with WO.

So...its back to the Moni$tat!

Castor oil is very sticky on it's own, usually people who use it dilute it with a lighter oil like olive oil. I use a 50%-50% mix of Castor Oil and EVOO but it's still pretty sticky, you can increase the concentration to what you like best. I hear CO is a great way to wash out oils from hair as mentioned in this thread: Castor oil for hair growth? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265)

Also I wanted to mention that Castor oil is usually used to thicken ponytail circumference and monistat for faster growth so they have different applications.
ETA: I want to mention that in the first 2-3 weeks of using Castor oil my hair grew one inch, since then I have not seen faster growth.

If you wanted to try something else, a lot of people have had success with Biotin for both thickness and fast growth, I'm not sure if it's cheaper but I do believe it is at least worth a look.

Good luck! :D

Roscata
January 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM

One of our LHC members wrote this to explain monistat best:
LHC article: Monistat used for hair growth? Yes! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=88)

JuneBride
January 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM

There is a huge thread...and an article about it. And I just posted TODAY...an album of monistat pics on my profile. It's kinda expensive...but it was worth it to me...I saw amazing results in my first trial!

~BoHemiAngel~
January 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Castor oil is very sticky on it's own, usually people who use it dilute it with a lighter oil like olive oil. I use a 50%-50% mix of Castor Oil and EVOO but it's still pretty sticky, you can increase the concentration to what you like best. I hear CO is a great way to wash out oils from hair as mentioned in this thread: Castor oil for hair growth? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265)

Also I wanted to mention that Castor oil is usually used to thicken ponytail circumference and monistat for faster growth so they have different applications.
ETA: I want to mention that in the first 2-3 weeks of using Castor oil my hair grew one inch, since then I have not seen faster growth.

If you wanted to try something else, a lot of people have had success with Biotin for both thickness and fast growth, I'm not sure if it's cheaper but I do believe it is at least worth a look.

Good luck! :D

Thank you for this helpful info, Roscata! I tried the castor oil + Monistat mix a couple of times, but the application just turned out to be a sticky, time-consuming mess! I only had the patience to do it a couple of times, so I didn't get any consistent results. Anyways, your suggestion of diluting the oil with something else will probably work out much better. :)

For now I am diluting the Monistat I'm using with this awesome product by SkinActives: http://www.skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=97
It's called "Sea Kelp Ultramarine" and it's basically like a natural hair gel, made from fermented algea. It's kind of like aloe vera gel, but it's made with lactobaccilus and has a lot of minerals in it. My hair loves it!

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! :blossom:

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 12:50 PM
where can i get monistat oil from?

HairFaerie
January 3rd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Yes, when I applied Monistat, I put a little bit of castor oil in the palm of my hand first, put the Monistat on top of the castor oil and mixed them up. After awhile, you get the hang of the ratio. A little castor oil goes a long way. To me, it was an excellent "carrier" oil for the Monistat, plus, it is great for your scalp/hair growth too! Double bonus! :)

Kumiko033
January 3rd, 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure if this will work but I'm totally following this!

Maybe like mentioned before if you mix Castor oil + Monistat + Aloe Vera gel it will be easier to apply since personally I do have great results with castor oil but with iii hair..it's time consuming really :(

banglaminerva
January 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
I just started doing this last week! I'm looking more for filling in thinner areas rather than length. I look forward to seeing how we do. Good luck!