PDA

View Full Version : slightly itchy scalp?

patienceneeded
December 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM
I switched to a completely organic hair care line (Aubrey's Organics) and really like it so far. The only issue is that my scalp has become slightly itchy in the last few days. :confused: It's not too bad, just moderately annoying. Will it go away after my scalp gets use to this kind of care? It's only been 2 weeks (about 4 washes) and I don't want to give up too soon. It seems to me that there would be an adjustment period when switching from mainstream products to something 'cone and sulfate free. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas to help with/ease the itching?

firefly42
December 21st, 2010, 01:04 PM
I got that too; i found that a very diluted ACV helped with the itches immensely.

Sophiawavyhair
December 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
I completely switch to organic a month ago. And I have been trying CO a couple of times but my scalp is way too oily. So I use a little bit of shampoo on scalp only. But its so itchy! Now I see a little bit of dandruff so I got head and shoulders which is a sulfate shampoo :( I also used henna three weeks ago and that may be causing itch too. Scalp looks normal, not read or anything.

I will be watching this thread .... :)

patienceneeded
December 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
I was wondering if an ACV would help...must go buy some ACV, I only have white in the cupboard apparently. What is the general recipe for an ACV? I have looked around, and it seems to vary from site to site. How much ACV, how much water? I have seen to use it after shampoo, after shampoo AND conditioner, in-between shampoo and conditioner, etc... Could I deep condition first, then shampoo and ACV? My hair is thick and tends to be tangly, I'm not sure skipping conditioner would work... Deep Condition/Shampoo/Condition/ACV? DC/poo/condition/acv? So confused...HELP!

LornaDoone
December 21st, 2010, 06:37 PM
I recommend an ACV rinse. Use about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ACV for every cup of water. To make sure you get all of your scalp, put it in an applicator bottle with the tapered tip. That way you can squirt it directly onto your scalp. I would use it after shampooing. Squirt it on your scalp, then condition your length. Rinse the ACV and the conditioner out together. HTH

sweet*things
December 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM
I've found I need to do a wash with a sulfate shampoo every once in a while to get rid of the itch. I was sulfate free for about six months and the itch just got worse and worse until I broke down and started alternating shampoos. But maybe my sulfate shampoo is just clarifying off whatever build up is causing the itch, so an ACV rinse may very well work.

Darkhorse1
December 21st, 2010, 07:19 PM
We are going into winter too, so if your house is dry, that may be causing some itchies. For me, it's always a sign of the start of dandruff--I read for head and shoulders and am always happy :)

patienceneeded
December 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM
Everything is dry...darn cold weather with indoor heating. My excema is driving me batty...but that generally only affects my arms from the elbows down. I look vaguely lizard-like from the elbows down. :( It has never affected my scalp though, which is why I'm wondering if the itchies are related to the organic hair products. Will try an ACV tonight and see if that helps!

Darkhorse1
December 21st, 2010, 07:27 PM
I hear you---I get eczema over my eyelids--usually my skin issues only occur due to stress or a topical allergy in regards to eyelids and eyeshadows.

You can try a small thing of head and shoulders--it is ph balanced and safe for color treated hair and I use it regularily and have not regretted it. My scalp is the healthiest it's ever been.

I also try to up my water intake when it's this dry, for my skin as well as just my health.