PDA

View Full Version : Could my white dots be...

monsterna
December 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM
I have noticed more and more white dots in my hair. I've been S&Ding a few times since about 10 days ago. I never had before. I haven't had a trim in just over a year now. I admit I blow dry every day that I have work/will be going out somewhere. So that leaves at most 1-2 days a week I'm not blow drying. Even then, I use the warm/cool setting only and I keep it constantly moving.

I've been CO for about 10 days as well. Shampooing 1-2 times a week. I use a sulfate-free shampoo, but I have been for many months before I joined LHC. I do use a conditioner with a cone in it and also have started using my heat protestant again (ETA: I meant "protectant", but heat protestant is too funny a typo to correct). I have a seamless comb now. So I've been wondering why I've been noticing (admittedly I never LOOKED for them before LHC) more splits popping up, along with white dots.

Then it occurred to me... I got my hair highlighted the same time I last got it trimmed. I'm wondering if despite the blow drying and the pre-LHC behaviors I had, if the damage I'm seeing is still all of the highlight damage growing out? What do you guys think?

Juneii
December 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Reducing the amount of damage is just to keep your hair from becoming more damaged. But in the end damaged hair is damaged hair and will still be weaker than the new growth that has not been heat/chemically styled. Don't worry about it too much, you only see the splits more because you are looking for them..

Avital88
December 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hey monsterna!

When i dye my hair i always get white dots at the end.But it can also be the regular blow drying thats causing this or the combination of it.
Try to s&d them away and try to airdry a bit more instead of blowdrying, i hope it works.
xx Avi

spidermom
December 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
I wish I knew! I only blow-dry occasionally and only with warm and cool, never hot. I don't dye or hightlight, but I sure as hades get plenty of white dots. Since we can't keep our hair under glass and out of direct light, I guess it's going to wear out no matter what.

missmorbus
December 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM
I only recently started S&Ding and now I feel like all I see is splits and white dots. I think it's just that you notice them more now.

monsterna
December 21st, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I probably am overreacting. I guess I still feel like I'll be stuck at nearly APL forever, heh.

spidermom
December 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM
I thought I'd be lucky to get past BSL but just reached classic lengthy; what a surprise! Hang in there. Hair isn't any more perfect than us humans.

BrightEyes7
December 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Has this started when you started S&Ding? If so it may be your scissors are dull. I tried S&Ding when I first joined using the scissors I had at home.

You should be using hair shears that are not used for ANYTHING else! NOTHING!

If not, it could be the highlights. Try doing a SMT or other deep conditioning treatment. And also maybe another dusting/micro-trim. Like just the very tips.

Jenn of Pence
December 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM
I agree; dull scissors could create more splits; something to check. But as far as what dots, I don't think that trimming a hair with dull scissors would result in a dot a few millimeters above the place where you cut, so something else is probably the culprit for that. I agree with previous posters that hair with residual damage, be it mechanical or chemical, is just more fragile for the rest of its life. And some of us just have split-prone hair no matter how we pamper it! :)

Adiva
December 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Very interesting thread! I've been experiencing the exact same thing and had put it down to the fact I was looking for them and getting better at finding them.

Lianna
December 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
I don't know the answer, but another thing to consider is cones build up, since you said you don't use a sulfate shampoo, depending on the cone, you need to clarify. Protein build up brakes my hair, also extreme heat, like daily flat iron. I'm fine with dyes and bleach, but I only needed to bleach (wasn't my whole head) for 5 minutes to get rid of brown dye.

monsterna
December 21st, 2010, 08:22 PM
I don't know the answer, but another thing to consider is cones build up, since you said you don't use a sulfate shampoo, depending on the cone, you need to clarify. Protein build up brakes my hair, also extreme heat, like daily flat iron. I'm fine with dyes and bleach, but I only needed to bleach (wasn't my whole head) for 5 minutes to get rid of brown dye.

Thanks. I always see people talking about too much protein... but I have no idea if I'm getting too much or how one gets most of it? Do you mean from the products I use or the protein I ingest, or what?

Lianna
December 21st, 2010, 10:23 PM
I mean proteins in the hair care products.

I think you might like these articles:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

monsterna
December 22nd, 2010, 07:30 AM
I mean proteins in the hair care products.

I think you might like these articles:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Thank you very much! I found that last one last night after I asked the question here. I was like, derp, I can just Google it. Thanks for the others!

Pear Martini
December 22nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
I used to highlight and flat iron and I still highlight but have stopped heat styling and there has been such a diffrence in my hairs texture and it doesn't break off a ton like it used to. I still have some breakage, but a small fraction of what it used to be. My hair grew from barely APL to full BSL in one year (about average even for people with healthy hair).