PDA

View Full Version : A fun way to change the look of a sock bun.

Angeletti
December 20th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I was playing around with sock buns and came up with this updo so I thought I'd share the results with you in case anyone wanted to try it. It's super easy, I just took small twisted strands from the remaining ends of the hair and crossed them over the sock bun and then pinned them into place. I would like to try mini braids in place of the twisted pieces but I will have to try that another day because I'm too lazy to braid all my hair right now : )

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5388&pictureid=91213

Gumball
December 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM
That's a sweet variation of it! I think braids would look equally excellent, and definitely fancy. Either of those are smart alternatives when you need another way to handle the length that's hanging down. :thumbsup:

ddiana1979
December 20th, 2010, 10:12 PM
BEST. IDEA. EVER.

I like sock buns, but it's hard to tuck all the ends in, and I'm too uncoordinated to do Loepsie's method. This is brilliant! It looks gorgeous on you!

Juneii
December 20th, 2010, 10:15 PM
what a genius idea!! perhaps if you weave them through each other it will look symmetric. Although that may be difficult to pull off alone :)

p.s. your hair looks amazingly smooth and shiny, how do you do it?

1hunky5monkeys
December 20th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Beautiful!!

eezepeeze
December 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM
What a cute idea! I never thought of doing this. Gonna try it next time I do a sock bun, may tomorrow!

Angeletti
December 20th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks everyone : )

Juneii- that's a good idea I will have to weave them next time and see how it turns out, as for the shine it may be from using a conditioner with cones.

VitisVinifera
December 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Very pretty!

RocketDog
December 20th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I love this!! I haven't attempted a sock bun in forever, thanks to less than awesome results the one time I tried it... but this is super cute, way more character than the plain sock bun :)

ArienEllariel
December 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Ooh! I'll have to try this when I get a sock close to my hair color.

Tia2010
December 21st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Very cute !! I will have to try this after my hair gets longer ( and I learn how to do a sock bun :D...off to watch tutorials )

Dreams_in_Pink
December 21st, 2010, 12:28 AM
This looks so cool!!! The twisted sections might also be pinned across the bun in an X pattern. I'd try that if i was feeling in the mood :(

luxepiggy
December 21st, 2010, 12:45 AM
I see more sockbuns in the little piggy's future (^(oo)^)

Thanks everyone : )

Juneii- that's a good idea I will have to weave them next time and see how it turns out, as for the shine it may be from using a conditioner with cones.

Wahoo! Shiny cone buddies (^(oo)^)v

Dragon
December 21st, 2010, 12:48 AM
Looks nice.

milagro
December 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
Ingenious! :flower: and it's an opening for variations, like braided pieces instead of twisted.
Love your shiny hair, too.

KittyLost
December 21st, 2010, 01:55 AM
That looks great! I love sock buns, I will have to give it a go when my hair is longer.

Tabitha
December 21st, 2010, 02:22 AM
That's really beautiful! it looks straight off a Graeco-Roman coin. I love how it softens the uncompromising bagel shape of the sock bun.

christine1989
December 21st, 2010, 02:43 AM
I'm going to have to try this one! It looks amazing with your shiny black hair.

2peasinapod
December 21st, 2010, 02:51 AM
How cool! I'll have to try that. I think I'll use braids as those stay in my hair better than twists, but the mini twist look stunning on you! :)

Marjolein
December 21st, 2010, 03:04 AM
That looks wonderful! Thanks for the great idea!!

QMacrocarpa
December 21st, 2010, 07:32 AM
Ooh! I'll have to try this when I get a sock close to my hair color.
I hear you. The sock I was willing to sacrifice wasn't a good match for my hair color and kept peeking through, so I took some brown yarn I had lying around and knitted myself a couple of doughnut shapes. To help them have a good torus shape I made them ribbed. The bigger one I stuffed with some poly-fleece fabric scraps, and it's so amusingly huge that I call it my "bundt" because the ribs make it look like a smallish bundt cake. What to do with the ends of my hair in a sock bun is still a bit of a conundrum for me, so I'm glad to see this thread! :)

mrs_coffee
December 21st, 2010, 07:39 AM
That is way cool. I love it!

Emerald88
December 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM
That looks great. I've done braids but not twists so thanks for the idea!

bluesnowflake
December 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM
Ooh, pretty! Good idea, too- my ends are too long to look good tucked under and I still can't master the fully rolled one. I'll definitely be trying this!

CurlyTresses
December 21st, 2010, 08:11 AM
Absolutely beautiful look on such beautiful hair. Very elegant also. Thanks for sharing this. :)

Angeletti
December 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, and for those of you that were talking about having issues with finding the right color sock to match your hair color this helps disguise the fact that you have something hidden in there, I always have worried that people would be able to see the sock through my hair as well.

turquoisebud
December 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a great idea! :) I like the sock bun that this tutorial shows http://www.youtube.com/user/Loepsie but sometimes I think it may be damaging to my hair - all that rolling -. Good idea. I can't wait to try it when my hair is longer. I hope it grows fast. :pray:

Angeletti
December 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM
I agree Turquoisebud, I can never do that type of sock bun either because I always feel like I'm damaging all my hair as well while trying to roll it all up, not to mention the fact that my hair got terribly tangled the one time I did try it! It's still pretty though.

Alvrodul
December 21st, 2010, 10:48 AM
An excellent idea - I really have to try a sockbun one of these days, and this mighr actually spur me into it!:)

triumphator!
December 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Very cool, I like it!