PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap...

fairy_ends_girl
December 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has used Dr. Bronners liquid Peppermint soap for washing hair. I've used it for body washing and also for diaper washing when my kids were babies. I am thinking that maybe the castor oil and the peppermint oil would be good for hair. Any thoughts on this? Would love some feedback.

IndigoAsh
December 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I used the teatree one and the lavender one and enjoyed both, but I felt like it cleaned TOO much for me personally. I use it for precleaning my cloth diapers right now but it's really great stuff.

spidermom
December 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Oh yes - I made that mistake once. It's the only soap we took camping one year and honest to goddess - my hair looked and felt better when I let murky lake water dry in it than the day I washed it with Dr. Bronner's. It felt sticky, tangled like crazy, and looked dull and BLEH! And yes, I rinsed it a lot. A couple of days after swimming in the ocean and the lake, my hair looked and felt decent again.

bumblebums
December 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Never, although some people use it mixed with coconut oil. See here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025)--

LawyerGirl
December 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I like Dr. Bronner's Lavender but the Peppermint is much too strong for me. Trader Joes has a tea tree/mint shampoo that is very gentle.

GeeLove
December 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM
i use it in a diluted form. i love it. it's tingly.

Wish
December 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have a feeling that it would be a bit too drying for my damaged ends, but if you do try it, let us know how it goes!

ddiana1979
December 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Most people that use it for shampoo dilute it with water & mix in some oil. I used it undiluted once, and boy was my hair CLEAN (and not in a good way. . . my hair felt stripped).

I'm going to try the Movie Star Shampoo thing with Dr. Bonner's Lavendar diluted with water & mixed with coconut oil though. A lot of people seem to like it.

cuppycake
December 20th, 2010, 05:39 PM
The only time I used it is when I had dreadlocks because it cleans so well and helps promote knots needed for dreads. I would never use it in normal hair.

Oz
December 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
ive used it... its no differnt to any other hair product ive used... works. and i never seem to notice any differnt.

awesome stuff.. clean my teath with it to..
its like washing your hair in toothpaste. :D

bumblebums
December 20th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Most people that use it for shampoo dilute it with water & mix in some oil. I used it undiluted once, and boy was my hair CLEAN (and not in a good way. . . my hair felt stripped).

I'm going to try the Movie Star Shampoo thing with Dr. Bonner's Lavendar diluted with water & mixed with coconut oil though. A lot of people seem to like it.

Ooh, please tell us how it goes. I am not using any kind of soaps or synthetic surfactants on my hair at the moment, but the coconut oil soap idea is pretty intriguing.

ddiana1979
December 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Ooh, please tell us how it goes. I am not using any kind of soaps or synthetic surfactants on my hair at the moment, but the coconut oil soap idea is pretty intriguing.

It'll be after the holidays, because my family already thinks I'm obsessive about my hair & I don't want to do any crazy experiments in front of them. I'll definitely update though.

caadam
December 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I've tried it, though my hair is so thick
that it doesn't get to those hard-to-
reach places, like the middle of the
back of my head and my nape.

I have the peppermint and lavender.
I like both for washing my body, but it
does nothing good for my hair.

This is, however, just me. It's different
for others. -shrugs-

But I like the soap! I will always like
Dr. Bronner's for other uses.

Charlotte:)
December 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Oh nooooo! Don't do it! I diluted ONE DROP of that stuff in a cup of water and used it as shampoo once. My hair was a crunchy tangly mess for weeks! You would think that all the oils would be super moisturizing, but it dried out my hair, scalp and skin like none other. I had the same experience with the lavender and "gentle" scentless varieties as well.