PDA

View Full Version : Oil wash or shampoo

wahmof9
December 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM
What is it?

jel
December 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Check out this huge thread, and all will be revealed:

Hair care of movie stars from the past (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025)

ETA: That's what Rini was referring to.

wahmof9
December 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Thank you very much!

wahmof9
December 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Yikes 157 pages!!!!!!!!!!

Jenw777
December 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I was intimidated by the 150+ pages too. I just need straight forward TRY THIS instructions. I'm terrible at research :-)

misstwist
December 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ktani is good about keeping a running index in the first post.

You can read the first page or two to get an idea of the thread's history then use the index to explore what has worked for others.

jel
December 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM
At least read the summary posts, and some of the links that Ktani so helpfully categorised.

In short, the method is mixing shampoo with coconut oil (different ratios, many have tried 1.5 T of shampoo to 1T oil) and using only that to wash and condition hair. An acidic rinse (ACV or similar) is encouraged, but no conditioners. If you have been using lots of conditioners/leave-ins/styling products, it's recommended to clarify first.

And that's it in a nutshell - but do check out the links! :D

Roscata
December 20th, 2010, 03:04 PM
That subject has been shortened into an article: Adding Coconut Oil to Shampoo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191). That should be an easy way to start learning about this if you're overwhelmed by the thread. :D

ktani
December 22nd, 2010, 04:34 AM
An acidic rinse (diluted lemon juice or diluted vinegar) is needed following using a soap based shampoo, clarifying with baking soda, or if one has hard water, it is optional, otherwise one is not necessary. Most shampoos on the market today are already acidic.

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I do both right now, may change.