PDA

View Full Version : Cameo Bun Instructions

angelthadiva
June 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know how to do this style? If yes, can you walk me through the steps? I'd be even more :joy: if you have pictures to go along with the instructions! :D

PatGear
June 4th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Is the instruction (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=452&pictureid=4499) in my photo album here sufficient? I have to run right now so hopefully it is!

angelthadiva
June 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks, PatGear! I get it now! :flowers:

Nevermore
June 5th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I commented on your photo before I read about your not-replying-to-photo-comments thing, so I figured I'd copy paste it here, in case anyone was wondering what I was so:

That is so gorgeous! Am I right in suspecting that you don't ponytail before doing it though? I tried doing it with a ponytail as a base (a necessity for now, I'm afraid. Layers are, as they say, Teh Ebil) and I failed.

Starr
June 6th, 2008, 12:26 AM
What a pretty bun! I'll have to try that soon.

PatGear
June 6th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Thank you, Nevermore and Starr. :)

Am I right in suspecting that you don't ponytail before doing it though? I tried doing it with a ponytail as a base (a necessity for now, I'm afraid. Layers are, as they say, Teh Ebil) and I failed.I didn't ponytail before the bunning, but I don't see why you couldn't. I would recommend doing two separate ones for the cinnabun part and for the braid part though, so that they would sit better and more adjustable.

BTW, my hair was between BSL and length when I did that and it was just the right length for 2 coils of the cinnamon bun and the braid going around exactly once. And I have i/ii hair. If you have thicker hair, you'd probably need more length.

Saranne772
June 6th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Gorgeous! :D

julya
June 6th, 2008, 01:13 AM
That is a very pretty bun, I would like to try it. What did you use to secure it?

Finoriel
June 6th, 2008, 01:24 AM
:thud: how could I miss this one?! Itīs really gorgeous and leaves much room for subtle alternating the style by choosing different kinds of braids... :wink: now I know what to wear tomorrow.

I plan to secure it with small invisible u-shaped pins, thatīs what I like best if I want to show off the bun and not the hairtoy, but sticks would work for it, too. Or a combination of amish-pins and sticks. :wink: choose what you like best julya, there are many different possibilities to secure it.

PatGear
June 6th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks, guys. :D

julya, I was going to say Amish pins but wasn't sure so I went back to my old photo journal (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1150442&postcount=463) to look that up. Apparently:

I used 1 scroo to hold the cinnabun, and 3 more to hold the braid. I didn't even use elastics or anything for the end of the braid, just tucked in the ends and slapped the scroo over it. WO sticky hair makes that stay a lot more easily than CO hair, I must admit. I probably could've done with just one or two scroos for the braid, but I was going to excercise and wanted to make sure it doesn't budge. (It doesn't.)

There are a few more photos on the archived photo journal linked above, too.

Finoriel (who has a much better Cousin Itt than I do), I have done it using rope braid, too. I know I posted pictures but can't seem to find it. :confused: There are too many places to search!

Ok, finally found it here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1410221&postcount=941).
The better picture
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r194/ptngr/200710RopeBraidedCameoSide.jpg
That one was held using 3-4 clear good hair day pins, which unfortunately show in my hair.

Nevermore
June 6th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I didn't even think of ponytailing twice! Ach. I'm so dumb! I'll have to play with that tomorrow and see. Thanks for suggesting it :)

PatGear
June 6th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Let us know how it turns out! :)

julya
June 6th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Thank you for showing the pic with the clear pins. I have some regular metal hair pins that I haven't had much success with, but I will give them a try with this lovely style. I think that I have seen some of those clear style ones at Walgreens, so maybe if the metal ones don't end up working, I'll pick up some of those.

angelthadiva
June 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I tried doing a practice run on this (PatGear) the night you posted the instructions...I've learned trying out new style out in the AM is not a good idea for me...I quickly realized that I needed some more practice :D I will attempt this style again this weekend and post some progress pictures...ACTUALLY, I'm thinking I need to master this on DD first, then I'll be able to duplicate it on myself.

Sherri
June 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
That is a beautiful bun. I can't believe i have missed this one. i am off :run: to the mirror. I like the bottom half in the rope braid.

joyful373
June 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the link and thread and instructions. Very neat updo :)

PatGear
June 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll love to see everyone else's results. Don't be shy! ;)

angelthadiva
June 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Update, I tried it out on DD today, it wasn't even worthy of a picture...Back to the drawing board.

TammySue
June 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Beautiful bun! I want to learn more updos and I'm adding this to the list! :)

Nevermore
June 8th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Update, I tried it out on DD today, it wasn't even worthy of a picture...Back to the drawing board.

Ditto, except I tried it on myself. I failed at it. I need hair that's more one length, methinks.

angelthadiva
June 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Ditto, except I tried it on myself. I failed at it. I need hair that's more one length, methinks.

Psh, I tried it myself--My hair is mainly one length, super duper long layers, that are so grown out that it's not even worth mentioning--And it didn't work for me either...

I don't want to say her name, but one gal here has a cameo bun that is totally worthy of bun envy...I've already commented on it, so I don't want her to think I'm a weirdo, but I want my buns to look like hers! :eyebrows: