PDA

View Full Version : How ON EARTH did she manage to make hair so DRY?!?

juliaxena
December 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Ok, so I went for a trim a few days ago, and not only was she not able to only cut off half inch, she washed my hair like a maniac claiming that it was a very mild shampoo, hardly used any conditioner (then went on about how tangly my hair is), then she tangled it with her fingers while drying it (then again complainig how tangly it is) then she used some spray that was supposed to be moisturising but it was not, then she was schocked my scalp was red...

I got over the bad experience as I'm sitting with a nice deep treatment knowing it will all be fine in a couple of hours but I'm still puzzled what they teach those women in beauty schools. It takes SKILL to dry it out so much, it really does. My apologies to every nice and skillfull hairdresser here ( I know you exist), but belive me, there are many more who have no clue about hair it seems...

spidermom
December 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I usually have a deep treatment when I go in for a trim, so my hair is the opposite of dry when I walk out of there.

I do comb it out myself after the wash/condition because it's obvious that my stylist has no skill with extra-long locks. She doesn't mind; she goes for a smoke break.

Becky Safari
December 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I literally cringed when I read that first paragraph...ack!

Good on you for doing a good deep treatment, your hair must be screaming for it. I used to hate when they would hardly use any conditioner then also tell me how tangly my hair is...

Bene
December 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
How? Fortitude and determination, apparently :laugh: Sounds like that hairdresser was on a mission to accomplish such a feat!

BeccaAngel
December 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM
that's why its hard to find a hairdresser you can trust, i usually go to my downtown cosmetology university. its cheaper and they know what they are doing. the students and senior students are watched and if they mess up, the higher ups will fix it.

Caldonia Sun
December 20th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I never let a hairdresser wash my hair for a variety of reasons: the shampoo is always too harsh; they always scrub my head way too vigorously; they comb it out too roughly - all in all, not a pleasant experience. I do it myself just before I go. She then just has to spritz the ends with water and trim.

juliaxena
December 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM
How? Fortitude and determination, apparently :laugh: Sounds like that hairdresser was on a mission to accomplish such a feat!

This made me laugh out loud.

Oh, and another thing ladys, my hair is supposedly green! (it is ashy, not green)

nereida
December 20th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Maybe that's the reason why I am so afraid of all these hairstylists and I haven't visited any since one year. I know this pain hihi

ravenreed
December 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I am allergic to so many products that I go in pre-washed. I don't let them put anything in my hair afterwards either.

ktani
December 20th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I think that it is important to speak up at the time. Tell the person that your scalp is sensitive for example, that the washing water is too hot or could they please not rub so hard, and can they please use more conditioner etc.

It can be done nicely.

You are paying for a service and some people like the opposite of what someone else likes.

There is no excuse for an unskilled professional or bad service.

However, there is a 2 person dynamic going on. Own your half of it!

thirstylocks
December 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
You should call in and complain! You're paying for the service.
I'm not confrontational so I usually write letters or make phone calls. The management will understand..I'm sure the more you think about it, the angrier you'll get.

MandaMom2Three
December 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I LOVE having my hair washed at a salon! If I had the money (and didn't care if their products ruined it :p ) I would go every day just to have them wash my hair! Occasionally they are a little rough (my hair might say I'm understating that LOL) but I still love it! *sigh* Now I want my hair washed :p

MandyBeth
December 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Other way around here - I've never had any stylist over shampoo my hair, and they seem to LOVE to pour conditioner in. Plus, combing out, ok, I'm weird, but will NOT use a comb that anyone else used, so I bring my own and ask them to use that, then they are careful with the comb and thus my hair.

But gak, ask for a trim, and they take off 4" and then the thinning razor.

redwoman
December 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I gave up going to salons. They are way too rough with the comb out even when I ask them to go gently. Plus they charge me double the price because of my length. I have my husband cut my hair now. He does a decent job of it and it frees up money for hairsticks. You could also try Feyes self trim method and spare yourself that ordeal.

nowxisxforever
December 20th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I LOVE having my hair washed at a salon! If I had the money (and didn't care if their products ruined it :p ) I would go every day just to have them wash my hair! Occasionally they are a little rough (my hair might say I'm understating that LOL) but I still love it! *sigh* Now I want my hair washed :p

The few times I've been to a salon, they were always really rough with my hair when washing it (it was much shorter, then) but I always came out with zero dandruff for a while, so that's cool. lol :)

jane53
December 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I don't let them wash my hair at the salon. I wash it and then go in for a trim.

sarahbrownie
December 20th, 2010, 01:51 PM
The few times I've been to a salon, they were always really rough with my hair when washing it (it was much shorter, then) but I always came out with zero dandruff for a while, so that's cool. lol :)

This. I haven't been to a salon in over two years but I did have a lovely salon that had a shampoo girl that did an amazing head massage, my favorite part of the cut, but since I didn't have the cash to go back to that one I opted for a smaller salon and the hairdresser was ripping through my hair with the comb. I was wincing the whole time! I could just imagine the damage.

Alvrodul
December 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
This made me laugh out loud.

Oh, and another thing ladys, my hair is supposedly green! (it is ashy, not green)
??:crazyq: I did not know colorblindness was required to be a hairdresser???:suspect:

bluesnowflake
December 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry :( I usually ask to detangle it myself- it hurts a lot less and saves some time and damage. Hope you can find a better stylist!