PDA

View Full Version : CO question?

tigerlily38
December 20th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Does anyone strictly CO? Is it beneficial for the hair if shampoo is never used? I just found out what sulfates can do and my clarifying shampoo has it. I will only use the Burts Bees (no sulfates) when i shampoo, but i just wondered if anyone just COs, and what results? :love:

Felix_D
December 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I have been 100% CO for about a month. I basically just stretched the time between shampoos until I found I didn't need them anymore. I wasn't intending to go CO, it just sort of happened. Took a few months to adjust all the way.

Giovanni 50:50 is the conditioner I use for CO washing.

My hair is fine and thin, and I've found that not shampooing gives it a better weight. It fluffs out less and I've definitely noticed my waves are more defined. I recommend giving it a shot.

GoddesJourney
December 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I only COed for a few months and it was great. My hair was in good condition and I didn't shed much. My hair is fairly thick so I use GF Triple Nutrition, which seems to be thick enough to really benefit my hair. However, I find that the occassional scalp shampooing (I use the Trader Joe's stuff) helps clarify. It isn't a great thing for my ends, so I try to minimize contact. Also, shampoo of any kind seems to make me shed like crazy. The harsher the shampoo, the more I shed.

Sometimes I have to CO twice if my hair is particularly oily or sweaty, but it is a good method and I would be happy to keep up with it. At this point, I scalp shampoo maybe three or four times a month. My hair is growing a bit faster and I don't know if that's due to shampooing (cleaner, healthier scalp) or the other factors that cannot be measured well (stress, health, weather, food, etc.)

Waveepagee
December 20th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I tried CO for the first time yesterday, using Bumble and Bumble seaweed conditioner. It seemed like first out of the shower my waves seemed bouncier and were even twirling a bit. I think I messed that up by scrunching!

naereid
December 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Well, yes, you can only CO for a while. And it's good for people with dry hair. But don't be afraid of clarifying and "ruining your progress". Clarifying will most likely be needed at some point.

Sulfates cause allergic reactions in some people, but if you're not one of them, using them every now and then really won't do any harm. I know it's scary to come to LHC and read that everything is oh so damaging and oh so toxic, but... relax. :)

milagro
December 20th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I guess it depends on what your hair likes. It's certainly beneficial if you're frizz-prone, I get much less poof and more wave/curl definition with CO. No more flakes or scalp irritation, either.
I've been using CO method for less than a month, though. Maybe I will need clarifying with shampoo at some point. So far it feels great :)

Deborah
December 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I have used absolutely no shampoo for some years now, and my hair is doing great. I guess I CO most of the time, but I also use Indian Herbs for washing, and once in a while I wash with Borax. I end with an acidic rinse with any method I use, and no conditioner for conditioning, i.e., I only use conditioner to wash with, no follow up conditioning is necessary.

Igor
December 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I have been COing almost exclusively for… 5-6 years by now? With the occasional odd shampoo like when coconut oil and a freezing cold day did not mix well, I’m estimating I have shampooed 1-2 a year on average.
My scalp and hair is perfectly happy, clean and well conditioned.
Basically, I’m not anti-shampoo, I just don’t see why I should chose a harsher cleaning method when CO washes perfectly clean 99% of the time.

jujube
December 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but I also have a question. Do most of those who CO use only one conditioner, or a thicker one following the first one?

Igor
December 20th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but I also have a question. Do most of those who CO use only one conditioner, or a thicker one following the first one?

I only use one kind and rotate products.
Once in a while I use two though: First a protein conditioner, then a moisture or cone. I find my hair seems to “bind” moisture better if it gets a bit of protein first (Tip originally by the legendary Madeleine)

Annalouise
December 20th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Deborah and Igor - do you use conditioners with cones?:)

Igor
December 20th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Yes (Needs more letters) :p

tigerlily38
December 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you for your replies everyone :)

Felix_D
December 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Do most of those who CO use only one conditioner, or a thicker one following the first one?

I only use one.

First I squirt a good amount into my hands and slowly work it onto my scalp all the way up and over. I also use this time as a massage. Then I twist it up and leave my hair on top of my head while I wash my face & pits (nice).

Then I rinse out my hair, and do a second thick helping of conditioner through the ends, making sure each strand is really coated. Rinse in cold, hop out, plop-dry in a microfibre towel.

tigerlily38
December 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I just use one, a running conditioner. Suave Naturals Coconut has worked well for me

Lianna
December 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I did 100% CO for almost a year, while it didn't hurt, it's not for everybody. I feel better with shampoo and see a lot more growth with it. And I wash everyday. I could go either way, really.

ETA: I was coneless, and used only one conditioner, not too runny not too thick. Different brands when I felt like it.

ravenreed
December 20th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I have been COing for quite a while. I do have to shampoo my ends every so often when buildup sets in and they get like velcro, but I use such a small amount of shampoo. It is more water and BS. I have had really good results using Sauves (except the Cocunut) as my cleansing step, followed with a catnip rinse and then the Sally's version of Biolage just from the ears down.

Annalouise
December 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
I use a light conditioner on my scalp. And a deep conditioner on my length. I put on a shower cap for awhile and then rinse out.:) (as per Cinnamonbun's instructions):)

3azza
December 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I rarely use shampoo, maybe couple of times a year...My hair feels softer with CO, my scalp feels clean and it feels less flaky, and my skin does not get irritated like with shampoo. Now after using CO for some time, my ends seem to hate shampoo. I have also achieved good growth, not sure if it's related to CO though, but ever since i used it i noticed that my hair grew faster, and i no longer get the tangled hair balls, just tiny ones. I use only 1 kind of conditioner (silicone free and runny), it's a local cheap brand and it totally suits my hair.

PrincessTieflin
December 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM
I just started CO again, a few days ago. My hair loves it I get less tangles my hair dont feel as dry.. I use VO5 any flavor really..

I notice less static and POO when I CO. my curls really love it.

Deborah
December 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM

No. I use cone free conditioners only.

Deborah
December 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM

I only use one conditioner, and use it only for washing. I follow that with an acidic rinse, which I don't wash out, and I'm done. This works great for my extremely fine, mostly straight, tailbone length hair.

p.s. I only wash once per week too.