PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to S&C every time?

whiteisle
June 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I've always shampooed and conditioned my hair almost every day to every other day pretty consistently for as long as I can remember. I seem to need it more often (every day)the shorter my hair is and the longer it gets I can stretch out my washings to every second or third day at the most(mainly because I can pull it up and not worry about how grungy it looks). Generally my hair does pretty well as long as I use a shampoo and conditioner that provides enough/good moisture but isn't too heavy (still haven't really found one that perfectly fits that bill - if you know of something tell me!;))
But I guess I was wondering if I am doing something wrong by shampooing and conditioning so often, even if my hair looks and feels ok.

Nat242
June 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM
There is no hard and fast rule in hair care. If it works for you, it works for you...in other words, if it's not broke, don't fix it!!

-- Natalie

buttons
June 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I second what Nat said. Different things work for different people. So if you found something that consistently works for you- congrats :D

Oh and the s/c recommendation- I love Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose for moisture.

Forever_Sophie
June 4th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I agree w/ the others, if it works for you, don't question it :) Brocato Cloud 9 Miracle Repair shampoo is the gentlest shampoo I've ever used, and it cleanses my hair thoroughly.

Madam Librarian
June 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I suspect there are quite a few S&C washers here, they are just quiet about it.

I S&C every 2-3 days and am happy with it. I could wash every day if I wanted, but I am lazy and don't do it unless I have to. ;)

Morticia
June 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I shampoo and condition every day. Lately, I've been using Creme of Nature shampoo and CureCare conditioner. Both are available at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Lamb
June 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I agree, if this routine has worked well for you so far, don't change it. Sure experimenting can be fun, but it can also mess up your hair BIG TIME. (Don't I know it... :rolleyes:)
I myself need to do at least a WO rinse every day, and my hair looks its best when washed frequently, either CO or S&C, in spite of all the "curly girl" recommendations that tell me otherwise. Look at the "To those who wash daily or every other day" poll I set up in the other section, there are quite a few people here who do the same.

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Like you said you may want to reevaluate as it gets longer and the hair at the ends gets older. I did okay when mine was shorter to do that but as it got longer I started washing less often and when I do wash I use the CWC method with diluted shampoo. What you said is right though, as long as your hair FEELS good why would you need to change? I find that as mine has changed and grown I have had to reevaluate it's needs often though.

shellblue1
June 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I shampoo and condition pretty much everyday too. There might be a day or two during the week that I don't, but most of the time I do. Sometimes I dilute my shampoo though so I won't be using full-strength every time.

mrs carol
June 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I shampoo every other day. I have for years and years, if I go any longer my scalp gets real oily. I have tried to dilute my shampoo but it just doesn't do a good job of getting my hair clean. I only condition the ends and I do that first then shampoo all the hair twice.

froglet
June 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I live in Florida and in the summer I S & C just about every day. I do use a very gentle shampoo and a rich conditioner, though. I believe the humidity keeps my hair from drying out and the sweat makes it get oily quickly.
In the winter I only S & C about once a week. It doesn't need more.

But if you have a way that working for you than be glad and don't worry!

nomadhome
June 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I S&C every other day. I use a variety of condish but my shampoo is always Mane n Tail.

whiteisle
June 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM
LOL! - I didn't know there were so many that S&C so frequently!:) I'm still very new to this board and I just assumed by the posts I've read that shampooing and conditioning so often is a rarity and even perhaps not good. I'm so glad to hear that I'm not tearing my hair up!

I just can't let my hair go too long without washing it because it just feels totally unclean and looks horrible. Plus, right now, I exercise most nights and it's just an icky thought for me to go to bed with a head full of sweat - yuk! I've tried a few of the other cleansing methods but nothing seemed to really work to get my head/hair clean. So I've gone back to S&C.

Oh! and thanks for the recommendations for shampoos and conditioners - I'll definitely check them out! DH will be thrilled to have more products in the bathroom closet!:D

ShadowSwallow
June 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I CWC every day (and it turns into an S&C when I forget to put condish on first). I really can't stand my hair when it's not washed, although it looks presentable. And I've never quite been able to figure out what people do with their hair in the shower when they don't wash it.

I did drop out of 'poo bars every day, though, because they dried out my scalp otherwise. Also because my ends started needing more moisture and condish just made them look greasy.

julya
June 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Up until my hair hit about BSL I just used shampoo, no conditioner at all. My hair just didn't seem to need it. As it's gotten longer I've needed to adjust my routine, now I'm trying herbs in my hair. The most important thing is to do what works for your own hair.

jel
June 5th, 2008, 03:02 AM
As Curlsgirl said, you will probably re-evaluate your washing method once your hair grows a bit. I had to wash my short to shoulder length hair every day as it was getting oily overnight. Now that it's at my waist, it magically absorbs the sebum and I don't get oily roots until day 5 or 6. Oh, and I mostly use the CWC method, but sometimes plain S&C.

Another thing, that's perhaps more relevant to those growing to super long lengths (you seem to have waist or hip as your goal) - washing very often means more mechanical stress on the hair, especially the ends. That may lead to split ends or breakage. But IMO, that's really only something to consider as you approach classic length, or grow with no trims (like me).

Saranne772
June 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Some people do manage to do that without damage. If you are one of them and you have the time and energy and willpower to wash every day then do it :)

Jean Genie
June 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I S&C every day as well. I'll even own up to using cones :D I've tried so many different things, but good ol' Pantene still works the absolute best for me every time. YMMV, of course.

Anje
June 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Lots of people around here S&C (as you can tell...). I think you may want to alter your method as it gets longer, though. You'll probably want to just concentrate on shampooing the scalp and first few inches of hair (which are the part that get greasy, after all), perhaps protecting the ends with conditioner except when you clarify.

Do what works for you. Don't be afraid to try other methods (CWC, C-COW-C, CO, WO) which really shouldn't mess up your hair long-term if they don't work, though.

Tapioca
June 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I S&C every day with TJ's Nourish shampoo and whatever Suave or V05 conditioner smelled good at the store. I am thinking about trying to stretch to every other day, though.

Leisha
June 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Another S&C'er here :waving:
I even shampoo my hair twice (or three times), I use a fairly mild shampoo though and I only wash once every 10 days or so. :o

I used to do CWC for a while but it really didn't make much difference. :shrug: As long as I use a good conditioner afterwards, my hair does just fine!

I only shampoo the scalp of course, unless I've done some sort of heavy oiling.
The length gets cleaned by the diluted shampoo running down while rinsing.

daydreamer
June 5th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I too use shampoo and conditioner every day. I wash only my scalp, and condition only my length, since my scalp and hair seem to want different things heheh.
I have tried stretching wash days out with very little success, though I did pretty well with Water Only and Baking Soda/Apple Cider Vinegar regimes. Still, it seemed I did not have consistent reliable "good days" with either of those, so I ended up just going back to what always worked fine for me in the first place. I've just learned not to pile it on my head and I don't shampoo the length unless it starts getting velcro-y. :)

mommy101405
June 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I am an S&C every day girl. I have tried a million other things and nothing else has worked as well for me.

Kirin
June 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I S&C every day, faithfully. I tried a few other methods, nothing was good, hair a wreck, back to S&C.

And more often than not I S, and not the C!

Gladtobemom
June 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that lots of people shampoo and condition every time.

Some vary their products, some don't. People with straight hair seem to S&C more than CO.

At least, that's my impression.

HeatherAngela
June 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I S&C almost everyday. Whenever I get a shower basically. Sometimes not as much because I get really dry skin in the winter and daily showering when I haven't done much will just kill my skin. In the summer it's pretty much every day. I wash the scalp without piling up the hair and let the suds wash through the ends while I rinse. I CO mostly the ends, but put a little all the way through to help with tangles. I use Pantene in the winter and I'm trying Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship right now as I don't need quite the heaviness that Pantene gioves me during the summer.

MemSahib
June 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I shampoo and condition weekly. When mine was short I did it more often but as I look back on it, I needed to do that to rid my hair of styling product buildup. At my current length and with no styling products, there is no need for daily cleansing. Plus, leaving it up helps, too. Do what is best for your hair. It could change as it grows but if S & C works for now, then don't worry about it.

Palustris
June 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I S&C every other day. I've kept my routine simple for the last few years. When I was experimenting, nothing else worked as well.

bex487
June 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I do! I tried CO washing and it didn't cut it. I make sure to shampoo my scalp only (and I kind of "drag" the suds down as I'm rinsing) and I condition from my ears-down. I do this every other day/every third day, and my hair is healthy and happy!

peachy.pudding
June 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I find my hair gets unhealthy if i dont shampoo and condition it every 2 days, 4 days max

sandrak
June 7th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I S&C my hair every other day. I have tried shampoo bars, for some reason they quit working, conditioner only, and no cone. The only thing that is working for me now is shampoo and condition with a cone conditioner.

Mitzy
June 7th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I S&C every time I wash right now. My hair loves cones, too, but my skin does not, so I have just switched back to an herbal based s&c. I went back to using something with cones after I had some streaks put in, but after about three months, my back and scalp CANNOT take it anymore!! Arrrgghhhh!! the itching!! I was two or three times a week and can go longer in between the longer my hair gets. My hair has to be at least damp for me to put it up, though or it will not stay, so I either spritz it with a water and AVG mix or wet it in the shower, if I am going to wear it up. I mostly wear it up in the summer and it is winter here now.
I did CO for awhile and that seemed to work well for me until I messed with the color. I think if I stopped coloring or went to henna, CO or MM would work for me.

CurlyOne
June 7th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'm about to go back to S&C every day. I have been experimenting with ways to help my dandruff and nothing has worked. So I am going to go back and do what worked for it, harsh dandruff shampoo every other day. If I could get around it I would but I don't know any other way to stop the flakies.