PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how this trick is supposed to work

triumphator!
December 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hi all,
I was reading my favorite blog, Rapunzel's Resource (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/), and I stumbled upon this trick for wearing your hair down (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/how-to-wear-your-hair-down/).

Now I am all for wearing my hair down, and I don't like how my hair gets all crazy after a couple hours of being down. But I don't really understand how this would solve the problem. Does anyone else do this? How does it work?

:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance!

ETA: It seems it is just for keeping hair out of your face when it is down. Rats! Something about the way she wrote her post made it seem like it would keep it from getting snarly. Anyhow, enjoy the blog, those of you who are excited to find out about it! :)

jel
December 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
This looks like a great idea to me!

I hardly ever wear my hair down because it just gets into everything, mostly my face ;) With the side strands clipped underneath, it will be almost like a home-grown hair band!

I will try this the next time I let my hair loose...

Olafwa
December 20th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Great idea. I don't know how useful it will be for tangles, but at least you wont get a head full of hair every time you look slightly down. I'll try it next time my hair is down.

lapushka
December 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM
She didn't include the final picture yet. The idea is to let the hair out of the clip, so it covers the clipped side-parts (which will be underneath the hair like a hairband). This is a great idea, kind of a reverse half-up.

It's always the side-parts that give me problems when my hair's down.

I remember seeing this somewhere before... Didn't Torrin do this a while ago in one of her vids? :hmm:

CindyLea1
December 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I'm going to wear my hair like this today! THANKS for the link.

I've been thinking about doing just this thing. The hair that used to be my bangs/fringe is driving me bonkers! It's between chin and shoulder and flops into everything.

I think it would be great. I bet you could do twists, or braids, or tiny clips to add a bit of interest in the front.

I'll be sure to let you know how it worked tonight.

Loreley
December 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Great idea! I'm gonna try this. :)

Madora
December 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Unless you want to deal with snarls, I wouldn't suggest wearing your hair down.

Only a portion of your hair is clipped..the rest is subject to wind and heavens knows what else.

If you must wear it down, braid it, or band your ponytail, or confine it somehow.

Of course, if you wish to wear it down, that's up to you. But be prepared to deal with the tangles that can ensue.

ravenreed
December 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I wear my hair down quite a bit. I am not sure what this is supposed to do. Does it somehow reduce the snarls?

LaurelSpring
December 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Looks like its basically to keep it out of your face and back. I dont imagine it would stop any snarlyness. I might use it around the house.

Angeletti
December 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I've worn my hair like this when I was younger, it basically is a comfortable way of keeping your hair out of your face and like others have said it's like a "hair" headband.

Nini
December 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
It might also create a sort of base for the rest of your hair to rest on.

I don't think it would work for my fine hair, though I might give it a try!

feb26
December 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
:happydance:
Will def try this as I love the volume & movement layers give my v fine hair..without layers it hangs completely flat, but gets in my face quite a bit. Trying to run up & down skytrain stairs is dangerous so I usually hold it up with one hand. Thank you for the awesome tip AND the amazing new blog..will def be following this blog in the future!

misstwist
December 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I remember seeing this somewhere before... Didn't Torrin do this a while ago in one of her vids? :hmm:

Fox has a tutorial on this on The Loom, that may be what you are remembering.

CindyLea1
December 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Update: I wore this 'do all day. I used a tiny poytail holder, and just pulled what would have been bangs back.

It did keep them out of my face while I cleaned house; and kept the bulk of my hair behind my shoulders too.

I didn't like the part at the base of my head. The itty bitty ponytail stuck through the rest of my hair hanging down quite often and gave it a part. I had more nape tangles than normal, too maybe because the hairs were getting caught on the elastic or my bang ends?

The rest of my hair (other then the nape hairs) had about the normal amount of tangles, just from daily movement.

I might try this with a braid that starts at the forehead on each side and joins in the back. That might be fun!!

Dreams_in_Pink
December 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of this? I mean, if you're tying some sections of hair it'd no longer be a down-do. Also, i know of much prettier ways to control front bits, like a fairytale braid.

But hey, it works for most :D

maria_asa
December 21st, 2010, 05:05 AM
It looks like a good idea but I don't think it would work for my thin, slippery hair. First I would have to find a clip or elastic that actually stays in my hair and then I would have to arrange the loose hair so it covers the bit that's clipped.

Roscata
December 21st, 2010, 05:18 AM
Thank you for sharing this. I love her tutorials.
*edit* You might want to check back, she updated the entry with photos of the finished product which now makes complete sense.

lapushka
December 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
*edit* You might want to check back, she updated the entry with photos of the finished product which now makes complete sense.

She added a really nice ropebraid to make it extra special! It's lovely! :)

misstwist
December 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Just because you don't like it, DreamsInPink, doesn't mean it's not pretty or useful.

This is a great way to create a very controlled and polished ponytail.

Use a small silicone band to secure the front bits at the nape. Then bind that into a nape ponytail and use that bit that has already been sectioned of to wrap the elastic.

MsBubbles
December 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM
I am such a hair dummy! I don't get this at all. It looks like something useful for nice thick hair but for my fine hair I don't see how it'd work. Can any other finies help me out here? I like wearing my hair down but it does get in my way.

ETA: OH now I get it! And the braided headband adds something cool. I get so fed up with hooking my hair behind my big flappy ears because if I don't, they poke through my thin hair. I hate that. This might be a useful alternative. But now I'm not sure what type of clip to use that won't damage my fine hair or slip out, or show through/bulky.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 22nd, 2010, 03:12 AM
Just because you don't like it, DreamsInPink, doesn't mean it's not pretty or useful.

I just said my own thoughts about this technique. No need to take offense on it. :rolleyes: