PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Keratin Treatment

thirstylocks
December 19th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Has anybody done this?
I did it in August 09 and it made my hair very sleek and shiny for a month. It looked flawless. Then I bleached my hair and it destroyed the treatment and my hair.
I did it again in May '10 and it did not work at all. I went back to the salon and they re did it for me for free. So, it lasted for about 3 weeks. I did it again in september '10 and it didn't work at all.

Has anybody had these experiences? Is keratin good for my hair?

Felix_D
December 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
No it is highly damaging to your hair and toxic to your body & the hairdresser's as well. Do not do this.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2010/2010_182-eng.php

They are reformulating. For now, do not use this product.

thirstylocks
December 19th, 2010, 10:48 PM
They've come out with a formaldehyde free version as well!

Lianna
December 20th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I think it's only supose to last 3 months or so. I think the lack of formaldehyde speeds the fading process. Maybe you should find alternatives, read a bit more around the site. CO washing seems to smooth a lot of hairs around here. You could also try a wrap or big rollers. Lighty oilings help with frizz, if you have any.

Sometimes they say there isn't any formaldehyde, but there really is. >.< Was this really born in Brazil? I'm brazilian and don't know, LOL. But I'm used to hear stories...scary ones. Even so, I've done it :D many many moons ago (without formaldehyde as they say), my hair didn't change a thing.

Allychan
January 6th, 2011, 12:54 AM
O M G!! Not happy Jan!
I have been doing this treatment for the past 2 LONG YEARS with the belief that I was "helping" my hair. After reading these posts I Googled BHT and what I found was not good. But makes perfect sense. Have a look at my profile picture and you can see the scrappy ends of my hair. In a pony tail it is barely an inch thick. I now realise why!
I am so glad I found this Forum my hair is so depressing.
I have started coconut oiling it as of yesterday and will be stripping the BHT from my hair tonight.

redcelticcurls
January 6th, 2011, 01:01 AM
They've come out with a formaldehyde free version as well!

There is no such things as a formaldehyde free version, and one company is in trouble for mislabeling their product as such. Keratin doesn't straighten the hair. In fact, I use a good dose of keratin if I want to make my hair curlier. The formaldehyde, or formaldehyde precursor, which is what many things use now, is what straightens the hair.

Canada recently banned about 10 different brands because they contain too much formaldehyde, even some of the ones that claimed to be formaldehyde free.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2010/12/post_39.html

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/research/centers-institutes/croet/emerging-issues-and-alerts.cfm

You're better off with flat ironing every day than using these things. My salon refuses to so them because of the high risk to them.

x0h_bother
January 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
You may want to read here http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35126 :)

Sarahm
October 21st, 2015, 09:11 AM
Oh, God, I was going to get one. I thnk I might have to change my mind; Or do you think the new version isn't as damaging?

Suzysu
October 21st, 2015, 09:28 AM
Oh, God, I was going to get one. I thnk I might have to change my mind; Or do you think the new version isn't as damaging?

I have lost over 50% of my hair and have two small bald batches thanks to my second Keratin treatment.

It is not the keratin that is the problem - it is formaldehyde or whatever equally strong chemicals they use to replace the formaldehyde.

It gets you. If not at first, then on subsequent treatments.

I thought I was risking only somewhat damaging my 90% virgin hair (10% was dyed) - instead it damaged my scalp and hair isn't growing back so far.

If you do it - know what you are risking.

I think there are straightening perms available - I don't think perms have had such horror stories as keratin treatments - but I don't know, so do your research.

Sarahm
October 21st, 2015, 09:37 AM
I have lost over 50% of my hair and have two small bald batches thanks to my second Keratin treatment.

It is not the keratin that is the problem - it is formaldehyde or whatever equally strong chemicals they use to replace the formaldehyde.

It gets you. If not at first, then on subsequent treatments.

I thought I was risking only somewhat damaging my 90% virgin hair (10% was dyed) - instead it damaged my scalp and hair isn't growing back so far.

If you do it - know what you are risking.

I think there are straightening perms available - I don't think perms have had such horror stories as keratin treatments - but I don't know, so do your research.

Well, first of all I'm very sorry to hear that. How long has it been since you did your second treatment?

And I guess I'll have to live with my curls. I usually avoid harsh chemicals but I thought keratin treatments were actually good for your hair because they are supposed to be natural. I guess not then..

lapushka
October 21st, 2015, 10:13 AM
Well, first of all I'm very sorry to hear that. How long has it been since you did your second treatment?

And I guess I'll have to live with my curls. I usually avoid harsh chemicals but I thought keratin treatments were actually good for your hair because they are supposed to be natural. I guess not then..

Have you ever heard of the curly girl method, by Lorraine Massey (it's a book). But you can find plenty of information online and on YT!

Suzysu
October 21st, 2015, 10:29 AM

About 5 weeks since, and every day I lose more hair and none is growing back yet.

I wish I could turn back time. But I guess I am turning back time for you.

Here's one big mistake in life you've avoided.

But you don't have to live with your curls. I know how amazing it was to have flowing, swishy hair for those couple of weeks before it all started falling out. That's a priceless feeling.

I haven't given up. I'm looking at natural ways - like wrapping and rollers.

Sarahm
October 21st, 2015, 10:41 AM
Have you ever heard of the curly girl method, by Lorraine Massey (it's a book). But you can find plenty of information online and on YT!

I haven't, actually. Thank you fo sharing! I'll definitely look into it. Like, right now. :)

Sarahm
October 21st, 2015, 10:48 AM
About 5 weeks since, and every day I lose more hair and none is growing back yet.

I wish I could turn back time. But I guess I am turning back time for you.

Here's one big mistake in life you've avoided.

But you don't have to live with your curls. I know how amazing it was to have flowing, swishy hair for those couple of weeks before it all started falling out. That's a priceless feeling.

I haven't given up. I'm looking at natural ways - like wrapping and rollers.

Oh, that sounds absolutely horrible. I hope your scalp and hair will calm down soon.

It's great that you haven't given up. I'm a newbie when it comes to hair care, so I can't give you any advice, but I'm sure the other members of LHC can help you get through these dificult times.

I wish you the best and lots of strength!

goneJackal
October 21st, 2015, 12:22 PM
My sister did it a few times, and still does about every 5-6 months.
It may be more common here, I think it's called 'Brazilian' for a reason.

She doesn't need to straighten her hair, but still. She also dyes it regularly.
Her hair hasn't been destroyed yet, but its health is noticeably fading away.

Suzysu
October 21st, 2015, 01:32 PM
My sister did it a few times, and still does about every 5-6 months.
It may be more common here, I think it's called 'Brazilian' for a reason.

She doesn't need to straighten her hair, but still. She also dyes it regularly.
Her hair hasn't been destroyed yet, but its health is noticeably fading away.

Whereas your hair is gloriously glossy and in the prime of life, judging by your profile pic. What wonderful hair! Lovely and thick as well as shiny.

I suppose your sister just wants hair that looks as good as yours does - can you blame her!?

Suzysu
October 21st, 2015, 01:34 PM
Oh, that sounds absolutely horrible. I hope your scalp and hair will calm down soon.

It's great that you haven't given up. I'm a newbie when it comes to hair care, so I can't give you any advice, but I'm sure the other members of LHC can help you get through these dificult times.

I wish you the best and lots of strength!

Thank you so much, you are very kind. It's so nice to think that at least one person is spared what I went through.

I've actually already received a lot of help from the community - finding it has been a godsend!

lapushka
October 21st, 2015, 01:35 PM
I suppose your sister just wants hair that looks as good as yours does - can you blame her!?

Straight hair isn't "worth more" than curly hair, or isn't somehow more beautiful. ;)

Suzysu
October 21st, 2015, 01:43 PM
Straight hair isn't "worth more" than curly hair, or isn't somehow more beautiful. ;)

I wrote that her hair is very glossy and shiny and thick. I think most people would want that, whether curly or straight?

As I say, I enjoyed my curls for 15 years, even when people were telling me that curly hair should be straightened, so I do know that curls can be good. But like a person who eats their favourite meal for 5 years in a row....I need something different now!

I have no doubt that if I had naturally straight hair, after many years of having it, I would want to be free to try curls. Why not!

Upside Down
October 21st, 2015, 02:23 PM
I plan to do my keratine this weekend. Kerasilk arrived a few weeks ago but I didn't get to it. Now I want to finish it because I start working a few hours next week.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, and if anyone has last minute tips, they are welcome! :)

goneJackal
October 21st, 2015, 03:13 PM
Whereas your hair is gloriously glossy and in the prime of life, judging by your profile pic. What wonderful hair! Lovely and thick as well as shiny.

Thank you!

Her hair was beautiful before she started messing so much with it. It still is, just not very healthy.
I think she's just too lazy to take care of her hair more frequently, so she goes for "easy" rather than "healthy".

She doesn't like my hair very much.
But it's more like a brother-and-sister thing, I think.

http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_lingua.gif

You're right!
She likes her hair both ways, as I see her heat-curling it sometimes.

Suzysu
October 21st, 2015, 03:37 PM
I plan to do my keratine this weekend. Kerasilk arrived a few weeks ago but I didn't get to it. Now I want to finish it because I start working a few hours next week.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, and if anyone has last minute tips, they are welcome! :)

I guess my last minute tip is.....to really think about this.

The risks are:

1. Hair loss and scalp damage (hair falling out from the root and not growing back - as has happened to me.)
2. Damaged hair (okay, if this happens, I accept that, as long as your roots aren't affected, you can always grow more hair)
3. Your curl pattern is altered permanently (Not at all unusual - but for all I know that's what you want)

Since you are doing this, at least you are using Kerasilk - I understand from Minako that this is one of the better brands although she admits that she can only say that if you have hair that is similar to hers you can reasonably expect similar results to her.

It is Russian roulette, but it is your hair, and if you've read the horror stories (http://www.short-hair-style.com/does-brazilian-blowout-cause-hairloss.html), and still wish to go ahead it is your right to take the risk.

If it goes well you will be as elated as I was for the first 2 weeks. Just please do bear in mind, that it is often not the first treatment that is the killer. Yes, it damages the hair, but it won't necessarily be the one that makes you lose your hair.

The danger is that you get over-confident and think there is nothing to fear since it went okay the first time. I would just say - exercise caution. Wash your hair infrequently, so you retain the effects of the treatment and don't have to have it done every 3 months. There is one youtuber who does it twice a year, and has managed to maintain hair that at least looks healthy - but she had very strong coarse hair to begin with.

And yes, the coarser your hair is, the better, in terms of withstanding this treatment.

I wish you all the best and hope it goes well. If it doesn't, please come back and share your experience so others don't suffer too.

Hopefully I will, now I am seeing a dermatologist, be able to provide hope for you if it all goes wrong.

And if it goes right? Well, you lucky, lucky thing - a good Brazilian is glossy, swingy and so easy to style!

goneJackal
October 21st, 2015, 03:58 PM
I remember reading that Jennifer Aniston had a bad Brazilian Keratin treatment.
Found it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2488081/As-Jennifer-Aniston-forced-chop-hair-short-experts-warn-Brazilian-blowdry-effects.html

Suzysu
October 21st, 2015, 04:07 PM
I remember reading that Jennifer Aniston had a bad Brazilian Keratin treatment.
Found it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2488081/As-Jennifer-Aniston-forced-chop-hair-short-experts-warn-Brazilian-blowdry-effects.html

Yes, she had to hack her hair off - but I consider her one of the lucky ones because it grew back.

Upside Down
October 21st, 2015, 11:54 PM
I guess my last minute tip is.....to really think about this.

The risks are:

1. Hair loss and scalp damage (hair falling out from the root and not growing back - as has happened to me.)
2. Damaged hair (okay, if this happens, I accept that, as long as your roots aren't affected, you can always grow more hair)
3. Your curl pattern is altered permanently (Not at all unusual - but for all I know that's what you want)

Since you are doing this, at least you are using Kerasilk - I understand from Minako that this is one of the better brands although she admits that she can only say that if you have hair that is similar to hers you can reasonably expect similar results to her.

It is Russian roulette, but it is your hair, and if you've read the horror stories (http://www.short-hair-style.com/does-brazilian-blowout-cause-hairloss.html), and still wish to go ahead it is your right to take the risk.

If it goes well you will be as elated as I was for the first 2 weeks. Just please do bear in mind, that it is often not the first treatment that is the killer. Yes, it damages the hair, but it won't necessarily be the one that makes you lose your hair.

The danger is that you get over-confident and think there is nothing to fear since it went okay the first time. I would just say - exercise caution. Wash your hair infrequently, so you retain the effects of the treatment and don't have to have it done every 3 months. There is one youtuber who does it twice a year, and has managed to maintain hair that at least looks healthy - but she had very strong coarse hair to begin with.

And yes, the coarser your hair is, the better, in terms of withstanding this treatment.

I wish you all the best and hope it goes well. If it doesn't, please come back and share your experience so others don't suffer too.

Hopefully I will, now I am seeing a dermatologist, be able to provide hope for you if it all goes wrong.

And if it goes right? Well, you lucky, lucky thing - a good Brazilian is glossy, swingy and so easy to style!

Lol, I totally posted in the wrong thread. I wanted to post in the Keratin streightening (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130725)thread. Thank younfor thensuggestions. I thought about it and thought about it and am ready to commit.

I'd suggest you take a look at that thread. Lots of knowledge piled there.

Faneda
August 6th, 2018, 09:58 AM
I got the Brazilian Blowout brand treatment the other week. There's another thread in this subforum with pages and pages of info on the Brazilian Blowout brand I say BRANDhttps://womentake.com/best-shampoo-for-brazilian-blowout/ because there are so many different "Brazilian" treatments. Brazilian Blowout is a very specific brand that does not contain formeldahyde. You can also wash your hair the same day--whereas some Brazilian treatments require you to wait 3 days to wash/tie up your hair and also contain formeldahyde.
I used to have hair that was both wavy and frizzy. It took me 20+ minutes to straighten, and when I flat ironed it, it was always a bit poofy still (it's hard to tame/straighten the back of my head).

Anyhow, with the Brazilian Blowout my hair looks SO healthy and shiny, even when I let it air dry. It now dries almost straight, but still with body. It takes me about 6 minutes to flat iron my hair in the mornings now. I've been getting compliments on my hair from the day I got the treatment until now. :yes: It's supposed to last up to 12 weeks. I'm hoping mine will last that long, although I can't be sure since I do wash my hair daily (even though regardless of what condition your hair is I know you're not supposed to wash daily)...

I honestly will be getting Brazilian Blowouts for the rest of my life now.

*Wednesday*
August 6th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Anyhow, with the Brazilian Blowout my hair looks SO healthy and shiny, even when I let it air dry. regardless of what condition your hair is I know you're not supposed to wash daily)...

I honestly will be getting Brazilian Blowouts for the rest of my life now.

Just because hair looks healthy does mean it is. Damaged hair can appear healthly with external products. I actually work with a girl that's been getting THE Brazilian Blowouts for almost 2 years. Her ends are breaking off, but it looks nice. She's considering scaling down from them because she actually has to keep trimming her hair to keep it healthy looking. When the Brazilian blowout washes out her hair looks terrible. When using hair chemicals, your commitment to that product could change very quickly when it wreaks havoc on your strands.