PDA

View Full Version : What do our pets think of long hair?

Vapunzel91
December 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM
My sister's cat--Nemo--usually sits on the couch back above me. The strange thing is from time to time, he finishes grooming his fur and starts grooming my roots. He doesn't do it for long because it easily gets stuck in his mouth. I just laugh and scratch his head. I think he does it because the other cat he grew up with--My Saku--disappeared a few months ago. They used to groom each other's face, neck, and shoulders. I think I am just the replacement because it started around the same time, too.

And even though my hair is short, if I lay on the ground with the shelter kittens (I volunteer there), they love to try and attack the ends dragging on the tiles.

Does your pet do anything strange to your hair?

Copasetic
December 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I used to have a cat that would chew on my hair. RIP Punkin!

ddiana1979
December 19th, 2010, 10:05 PM
One of my cats tries to groom me all the time.

My fiancé's cat tries to play with it & even occasionally hides a toy in it, but as he has claws (and uses them) I don't appreciate this very much. ;)

cuppycake
December 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Yes my cat tries to clean my hair. Also doesn't last very long..lol.

DARKMARTIAN
December 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Every now and then my cat will come up behind me in one of my chairs with a lower back rest, and if im kind of leaning back or slouched down and my hair is hanging over the back....she'll start slapping it around :)

She's a longhaired cat herself, so I dont expect to get any lip outta her..........:p

caadam
December 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
My cat doesn't pay too much attention to my hair,
but then I don't let it down long enough for her
to really play with it.

But during those rare moments where she DOES
notice my locks, she will try to eat them. x3

Tia2010
December 19th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have two dogs and they couldn't care less about my hair ... but if it fed them treats they would worship it :D

cuppycake
December 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I have two dogs and they couldn't care less about my hair ... but if it fed them treats they would worship it :D
:laugh: my dog would too. he loves him some treats!

cataphract
December 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Mostly the cat and the dog leave it alone, though if I flip my head upside down the dog will come stand under my hair and grins all goofy. He's kind of a silly bouncy dog anyway. :)

HoneyJubilee
December 19th, 2010, 11:15 PM
My cat will attack my hair once in a while if it's down, but she's a silly kitten and will attack anything so she isn't specifically targeting my hair or something.
My grandfather's cat will sit on the couch behind me and pull out any updo I have and sometimes try to groom me.

MissManda
December 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM
When I was a little girl, I had a cat that would curl up next to my head on my pillow at bedtime. She used to groom and knead my scalp/roots. I have no idea why she did this, but I am glad to see that I am not the only person who has experienced something similar. She really seemed happy to groom me until I had to kick her off of the pillow because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Her (the cat's) brother would curl up next to her and wrap himself around my head whilst nesting in the length of my hair. So I guess my hair was pretty popular with my kitties. I miss them so much.

Dragon
December 20th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I hate how birds like to chew my hair.

Jeno86
December 20th, 2010, 12:56 AM
One of my cats likes to chew on my hair while the other likes to step on it while I sleep to wake me up.

Gabriel
December 20th, 2010, 05:27 AM
My dog (my avatar!) hates my hair to touch him at all. He hates bugs so if a strand touches him he thinks it's a bug. He gets so mad! He's funny...

If I'm sitting down though and my hair is in an updo sometimes he'll get the idea to wander over and sniff my scalp or the updo, especially if I've used something that he thinks smells nice like coconut oil.

jojo
December 20th, 2010, 06:21 AM
my maisie says she very jealous as shes a staffy and has reached terminal length already, though she does prefer my hair down and will try and grab my scunchie when she is in her silly mood! :D

Vipera Berus
December 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM
My puppy likes to play with my braid and she tries to eat it too. My sister had a Bearded Dragon who was fascinated with my hair too.

Sammich
December 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I used to have a cat that would chew on my hair. RIP Punkin!

My cat chews, and then eats my hair.

heidi w.
December 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM
As a puppy, my dog would play with my hair. Now she just wants me to hand over the beef. She could care less. She also has no clue that she herself is a long-hair....long haired Chihuahua. LOL

heidi w.

Intransigentia
December 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM
My younger cat sometimes tries to wrestle with my hair if it's hanging loose. Back in my expensive-haircut days, the fancy salon put something in my hair that my older cat found utterly irresistible. She would rub her face all over my head and chew my hair and start biting my scalp, and if I lay down she'd roll in my hair. Knowing what I do now about catnip....

jel
December 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
My avatar cat, Aki, often sleeps on the back of the sofa behind my head. A couple of times I've felt him "hunt" my braid with his paw, and even try to chew it once he's caught it! I wasn't best amused, but my SO thinks it's hilarious... :D

Crackaleen
December 20th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I had a cat that loved my wet hair. If I'd let him, he would nuzzle around my scalp, not unlike a kitten looking to nurse.
My bird Buddy (see avatar) loves to preen my hair and nest in it. If I have my hair down, he likes to hide under it up against the back of my neck.

Babyfine
December 20th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Our kitty likes to groom especially my 14 yo's short hair, when he comes out of the shower and sits on the floor in front of the big easy chair, she sits in the chair and licks his wet hair. It's so funny to watch!
She likes my older son's hair, too.
She has never seemed to do that with my hair, but I use product( Angel, and MM volumizing spray) so I'm assuming she doesn't like the smell of my hair with the products, in?
Also when I lean over her to pet her and my hair's down, she doesn't seem to like my hair in her face, either.

Torrin Paige
December 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
My Boston Terrier is a total cuddle bug. I usually sleep with my hair up and over the edge of the bed, but when my hubby leaves for work in the mornings, I will roll over onto his side of the bed, dragging my hair up onto my pillow. Murphy then decides that Mommy's hair is the perfect bed and he nestles in it and smushes his face up against the back of my neck. I always have to be careful when it's time to get up. LOL. In other news, my uncle has a horse that will nuzzle my neck just so he can get better access to my hair...so he can chew on it. Sneaky horse.

Olafwa
December 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
My dog and sister's dogs don't seem to care one way or another whether it's there or not. Though the puppy was curious for a while, she got over that a long time ago. It's just not that interesting to them for some reason.

tinti
December 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Me and my dad was having a vacation with my stepmom and her son and her dog, and she was in the bite-everything-she-sees stage, and my hair and ear was her fave that week :p

Madora
December 20th, 2010, 11:25 AM
My Turkish Van-a-Be, Annie, sits on her kitty blanket in the bathroom and stares holes in me, as I brush. She'd rather I'd brush HER.

The rest of the bunch are probably muttering to each other "Isn't she through brushing yet? We want breakfast!"

Tabitha
December 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Tommy (cat) sometimes tries to groom my roots, as you say in the OP, and other times plays with loose strands. He tends to get a bit vigorous though, so I try to keep my hair out of his reach.

BeccaAngel
December 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM
well my cat might wing at my hair if i hang it in front of him but my friend's kitten, loves going after hair hitting at it and trying to chew on it lol. its cute.

Becky Safari
December 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I have two cats, and the younger black one is OBSESSED with my hair. He always want to just...touch it. Not always in a playful way, he'll just be sitting there with me and he'll reach his paw over slowly and touch my hair, then get all excited. Everyone in my family laughs about it.

My older cat is simply annoyed if I lean over to give him a kiss and my hair gets in his face haha

feb26
December 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM
LOL good to know I'm not the only one getting bitten. When I go to the salon or use any product (mousse, gel, etc) & hang it in front of my cat or put my head near her when she's sitting, she grooms it, grabbing my scalp with her claws (SIT STILL YOU! seems to be the message). Occasionally she will also lightly bite my scalp. this is interesting, as if I leave my hair bare (shampoo, condition, airdry with no product) it's not as interesting. This also happens with new shampoo/conditioner.

Nastasia
December 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have snakes. I've learned not to ever have my hair down if I've got one of the boys out of his tank. They'll get tangled in it, and then freak out when I try to extract them. So no, my pets are not fans of my hair :).

ArienEllariel
December 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM
My kitten tries to attack any hair that dangles down in front of her. She's tried to groom my roots but my hair practically gags her.. lol. I love her. :)

nowxisxforever
December 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Our kittens love to play with our hair and are enraptured by it when it's detangling time. :)

Angeletti
December 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Having 11 cats and long hair is not good, I tend to wear it up all the time when at home or I'll end up finding a cat attached to it/eating it/playing with it and so on : )

tyrant1100
December 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
My corn snake likes to nestle down in the back of my collar beneath my ponytail, using it as a kind of shelter. He must trust me because he won't do this with anyone else.

nucleardelusion
December 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Sometimes my bird will try to preen it, but usually he just hisses at it because he gets caught.

Love23101
December 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I have 6 pet rats and they love my long hair. They play in it and get all tangled in it :) It's really cute!

trillcat
December 20th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Miss Ginger Cat has respect for the hair, sort of. When I have it flopped all over the back of the couch to dry she will not step on it. Will go out of her way to leap the hair distance to the next part of the back of the couch. Its very cute.
Braid that same hair, in a elastic or scrunchie, all bets are off. Flop the braid over the back of the couch, cat tries to be sneaky, not realizing I actually can feel her trying to take the band off the end of my hair. Claws and teeth are not real subtle :)

2peasinapod
December 20th, 2010, 05:23 PM
All these stories are really cute! My cat just looks at me with big shocked eyes when I take my hair down and then glares at me for detangling instead of petting him. One time when i was combing my mom's hair, he just looked at me with really sad eyes like why was I petting her and not him? :S

Other than that, he's tried to bat my hairsticks around and conquered a hair elastic or two! ;)

patienceneeded
December 20th, 2010, 05:53 PM

HAHA! My dog is the same way...if there are treats involved he is ready to bow down and worship the treat-giver. Otherwise, meh. Not interested.

SpeakingEZ
December 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM
When I was younger doing sleep-overs, my friend's cat would nuzzle my hair in the night and drool on it. :(

My 2 cats now both leave it alone, but my bunny chewed off a chunk once!

owlathena
December 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I have a cat who eats my hair, or bats it around. My roommate has a rat, and sometimes I carry her around in my hood, or on my neck/shoulders. She can get really tangled up in my hair and squirms around, making it hard to get her out.

terrylillyd
December 20th, 2010, 09:40 PM
My parakeet loves to play with my hair. I can tease her with it and dangle my hair above her, and she'll jump at it and play like a kitten. It's so funny.

Nobody
December 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
My dog ignores it. Both cats love to play with it and one loves to lick it (and, um, everything else including wood and metal!).

When I worked at a shelter, I used to wear it in a braid so I could easily lighten the mood of most cats and thus, make them appear more adoptable. Frightened cats (such as semi-feral kittens) loved to hide behind it and I'm guessing that my success in taming young ferals was the mix of the darkness of my thick mane and that they can learn so much about you by the smell of your hair. I'm one of few people who could carry a feral kitten and have the kitten feel so much less frightened that they would not always need to be scruffed during cageless transport come the 6th or 7th day of taming.

My siamese also likes to hide in my hair when she gets frightened (such as when the doorbell rings). I used to have a cat (now deceased) who would snuggle on my shoulders because my hair kept her toasty warm in the winter.

Vapunzel91
December 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
These stories are so wonderful and amusing. I love reading them, and I have another story from reading my diary.

Last year when I dyed my hair rainbow for Prom Night, my cat Nemo walked into the bathroom where my friend was helping me. He rubbed up against my back--and to my horrification/hilarity--he took some of the blue dye on his yellow tail fur.

Sadly, it came off within that day. (I hope he didn't lick it off, but if he did scientists might be able to come up with a hair dye remover that works on counters.)

Lune d'Loup
December 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
My cat loves to play with my hair, he bites and swats at it when it was long, now that it is short he just bites the ends, trying to pull me with him when he walks away with my hair in his mouth.

ArienEllariel
December 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
Funny, this happened just today. My hair was in two braids and I brushed them back over my chair in the kitchen. Emma a.k.a. Ninja Cat jumped up out of nowhere to attack them. LOL My hair isn't even that long yet..

Wanderer09
December 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM
My friends' cats love to attack my braid. Once one even tried to climb it, ouch. :p And I once caught one chewing on my hairstick.

And of course, any hair toys from simple elastic bands to hair sticks automatically turn into kitty toys once they're no longer in my hair. I can't even count how many they've carried off and hidden.

Mountaingrrl
December 25th, 2010, 12:42 AM
My male cat has been playing with my hair since it's gotten long enough to bat at properly. He also likes to knead my scalp, especially just after I've gone to bed -- so I keep his claws trimmed. He likes to groom his sister's fur a lot too, which is so sweet to watch.