PDA

View Full Version : Pretty & Professional Updo for you!

JuneBride
December 19th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks to Hana212, I now have a "Pretty & Professional" hair style that I can do in just a few moments on a busy morning...a SOCK BUN!!!

I am a busy wife and attorney...I have been looking for an updo that is sleek and sophisticated but doesn't take forever to do or hurt my hair in any way, and that works with my APL/layered hair...and I have found it!!! Thanks to Hana212!

Today, I went to the men's department of a big box store, got a three pack of brown men's dress socks (my husband just got two new pairs of socks hahaha) and I followed the video fellow-LHCer, Hana212, graciously, made for me...and it worked!!!

I am wearing my hair like this to court from now on!! and if I can get to a store this week...I may wear it for Christmas with a holiday toy/scrunchi/flower...something fun and festive!!!

Thank you Hana212 :cheese:

And my husband even took a sweet picture for you all to see (it's not a perfect sock bun, but it was my first try, ever!)

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/trdegray/Hair%202010/PrettyandProfessional.jpg

After I post this, I will edit it with the link to Hana212's video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkvfm2Iuqio

Shellby
December 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
You did a great job for your first attempt. I am impressed. I did not do nearly as well on my 5th attempt. It does look very polished and professional. Thanks for the link. I am always trying to figure out a better way to do this one. I am not good at this one at all. :(

LawyerGirl
December 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Lovely! I'm still working on a bun with no pieces hanging out. :)

JuneBride
December 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
You did a great job for your first attempt. I am impressed. I did not do nearly as well on my 5th attempt. It does look very polished and professional. Thanks for the link. I am always trying to figure out a better way to do this one. I am not good at this one at all. :(

There is a second method that you can see in the link below. It was my plan B but I didn't need it because Hana212's method worked for me. Maybe this link will help you, as it seems like a really great alternative...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIzoqMh1mfI

Good Luck!!! and post pics of your tries...I'd love to see 'em!

Shellby
December 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hair too long for the second method. I will attempt this again. I think I need to start completely over with a new sock and everything. Next day off I will give it another go.

LaurelSpring
December 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
That looks so great! I like doing this sort of sock bun rather than the traditional way. With this bun it looks so much bigger and fuller. I could never get the other way to look as good. Awesome bun!!

ravenreed
December 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I think these are so cute, but my hair is so long and I have so many layers that I have yet to successfully get one to work.

catspank
December 19th, 2010, 09:09 PM
That looks great JuneBride! I love the look of this bun :)

Vapunzel91
December 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I love this! I saw a post in 2008 for a challenge of putting hair up every day for a month/few months/a year. Now I know what I can use as a daily pin-up, plus if I do it every day for an unknown amount of weeks, I might perfect it. (Considering how horrible I am at styling hair, it could work.)

cuppycake
December 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM
very pretty. i love doing this style as well :)

MinderMutsig
December 20th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I really love the look of a sock bun but that one where you roll up all your hair around the sock is one I'll never ever ever ever ever ever do again. It damaged my hair more than a hair dryer ever could.

Dragon
December 20th, 2010, 12:07 AM
It looks good :)

Lianna
December 20th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I like sock buns. Unlike most I've come across, I enjoy the pieces hanging out.

JuneBride
December 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I really love the look of a sock bun but that one where you roll up all your hair around the sock is one I'll never ever ever ever ever ever do again. It damaged my hair more than a hair dryer ever could.

How did it damage your hair??? You're scarring me!!!

Lianna
December 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM

I imagine the hair gets tangled when it's fully wrapped? I wouldn't know. Perhaps the cotton sock dries out the hair? I use a polyester sock (thick stockings).

redneckprincess
December 20th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Looks lovely, one of my favorite "LHC buns" I put some tincel around mine last christmas to make it look more festive.

Alvrodul
December 20th, 2010, 08:41 AM
It looks great!
The sock bun is actually one bun I haven't even tried yet! :o

MinderMutsig
December 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
My hair is pretty fine so it snaps, breaks and tangles when I roll it up around the sock and snaps some more when I unroll it no matter how loose I do it and how careful I am. The normal sock bun works fine but the one where you roll all your hair around the sock is horrendous on my hair.

Anywhere
December 21st, 2010, 01:40 PM
I'm not very good at this bun, my ends end up bent and tangled when I take it down and it never gets close enough to my head, it always sags down awkwardly. Looks great for your first try though! way better than mine.

Hana212
December 21st, 2010, 11:34 PM
Glad it worked for you hun.. I wear it all the time - works well for me. For those of you who can't get it tight enough.. tighten your hair elastic and wear it higher before starting the sock bun. With layers - just squish em all in there :)

bigred199
December 22nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
I was inspired enough by this thread to attempt my first sock bun (first that I wore out of the house, anyway). I wore it to work, and started off the morning with a male coworker coming up to say, "I just wanted to tell you, your hair looks very cool today." Totally random, since I hardly ever talk to the guy.

Anyway, this updo is definitely a keeper! Thanks for the inspiration.

orbiting
December 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
I love sock buns. I actually have a hair thing from Claire's that does it instead of a sock. My hair is thin, so I work hard to cover it. I've actually considered getting a small silk scarf to wrap it, so if it shows through, you just see a pretty scarf!

I wore my hair like this to a wedding :) You can put hair sticks in it too!

Becky Safari
December 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
This thread inspired me to finally try the sock bun and I really like it! I did the kind where you roll the hair down as opposed to tucking it around

Arctic_Mama
December 22nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Your sock bun looks great and your hair is beautiful! I just love those deep brunette tones, and is so shiny :)

Oz
December 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
hehe thats cool.. and who said socks where just for feet and puppets?

JuneBride
December 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I was inspired enough by this thread to attempt my first sock bun (first that I wore out of the house, anyway). I wore it to work, and started off the morning with a male coworker coming up to say, "I just wanted to tell you, your hair looks very cool today." Totally random, since I hardly ever talk to the guy.

Anyway, this updo is definitely a keeper! Thanks for the inspiration.

That is a great compliment you got!!! Good for you!!! Happy Holidays!!!

JuneBride
December 22nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Your sock bun looks great and your hair is beautiful! I just love those deep brunette tones, and is so shiny :)

Thank you!!! That is my natural color...oh why, oh why did I ever bleach it! See my profile and pics to see the bleach damage I caused to it a few years ago. Live and Learn!

Henrietta
December 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Congratulations! :) Great job.
I see we read the same books, at least some of them :) I have just bought "Lost symbol" for my dad for Christmas:) I think I will be the first one to read it anyway:D

JuneBride
December 23rd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Congratulations! :) Great job.
I see we read the same books, at least some of them :) I have just bought "Lost symbol" for my dad for Christmas:) I think I will be the first one to read it anyway:D

Thank you!!!
I LOVE BOOKS!!!
But some of those are my husbands as that is his office...and I have not yet read the Dan Brown books, but I get 3 of them for something crazy like $3.00!! But one day...in my liesure time...I will get to them hahaha Right now, I have 2 books on my night stand that I work on nightly and then one in my cd player...too many books, not enough time :(
Hope you have a Merry Christmas!!! Enjoy your reading!!!