PDA

View Full Version : Third Year Anniversary + A Question.

chrissy-b
December 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
First, let me thank all the members here at LHC for their support, encouragement, and knowledge on all subjects, not just hair. :flowers:

Now, here is my hair three years ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=332&pictureid=3254

And here it is today:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=332&pictureid=91015

I've gained a lot of length which I'm quite pleased with, but my ends, well, they're looking pretty bad. I used a coney conditioner yesterday when I washed so the ends should look better than they do.

My routine is CWC every other day (which I can't change, wish I could), oil the ends, bone or wood comb when dry, and I wear it up everyday (I've worn it down maybe five times in the last year). I also do a heavy oiling about once a week and use ACV rinses after I wash. I only use a brush to style my bangs. I also use cassia about once a month.

ETA: I use a satin sleep cap or sleep on satin pillowcases with my hair up also.

I used a semi-permanent dye on my hair this past year three times so I know that a lot of the frizziness is dye damage but other than that, (and here comes the question)...

what am I doing wrong? My hair has no real shine to it, even with the cones, and the ends are so tangly and frizzy. I'm in need of a trim, but I wonder if my hair will ever be shiny and healthy looking. :confused:

Any advice is much appreciated and thank you again for all you've done in these past three years!

mireillemt
December 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM
What beautiful hair! These anniversary threads are so encouraging to newbies. My hair isn't much longer than yours in the first picture. All I see in the second one is all that beautiful length! My gut reaction is that it looks a little dry but, I don't really have any recommendations for fixing it. Best of luck, congratulations and thanks for sharing!

CarpeDM
December 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Your hair is beautiful long and you have made great progress, maybe you just need a little trim?

tinti
December 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Congratulations on the amazing growth progress! I'm no "shine" expert, so I think I'll leave that one to the more experienced peeps:)

Becky Safari
December 19th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I know how you feel getting the length but not the luscious shine and bounce, perhaps a coconut oil shampoo would work for you? Have you tried it yet?

bunzfan
December 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Have you tried putting oil on the length of your hair and not just the tips? i ask as i noticed a big improvement on the moisture in my hair curly/wavy hair by doing this it also makes updo's really secure. Also you may need a heavier conditioner i find both caster oil and grape seed oil make my hair very soft and shiny.

Good luck.

triumphator!
December 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Perhaps your conditioner / shampoo has a lot of protein? Or perhaps it just needs to be trimmed? Or perhaps instead of CWC you need to clarify all your hair once?

Just between us, I don't think it looks as bad as you say it does. Your ends just look a tiny bit dry. Nothing a little conditioner as a leave in couldn't fix!

chrissy-b
December 19th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Thank you all for your feedback so far!

Have you tried putting oil on the length of your hair and not just the tips?

I add oil to my hair from about shoulder down, but concentrate on my ends.

Perhaps your conditioner / shampoo has a lot of protein? Or perhaps it just needs to be trimmed? Or perhaps instead of CWC you need to clarify all your hair once?

Just between us, I don't think it looks as bad as you say it does. Your ends just look a tiny bit dry. Nothing a little conditioner as a leave in couldn't fix!

Neither has protein, and I clarified about a week ago before my last cassia treatment. What's worse is that the ends don't feel dry, my hair actually feels well moisturized and soft. I do need a trim, that's for sure, but even when I trim, my hair still looks frizzy.

I really appreciate all the ideas so far! Keep 'em coming! :)

Roscata
December 19th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Wow, your hair is beautiful. I'm so inspired by your growth.
For friziness I use a lemon rinse (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745&highlight=lemon+frizz), it works wonders. ACV rinse didn't work for me, but this is amazing. I'd suggest giving it a try.
*edit*I usually just put a 10% lemon juice - 90% filtered water mixture in a bottle, pour it over my hair and scalp and put my hair up for 3-5 minutes, then rinse it out.

JuneBride
December 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Gorgeous hair/lenght and congrats on the extreme progress!!!
My only suggestion is CO washing, a good trim and maybe some "Super Skinny" from Paul Mitchell (clear bottle, green top) - that will make your hair shine like glass (see my albums for proof!) ;)
Good Luck. But don't be too hard on yourself...

selenechiba
December 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Wow, such progress! :)

The first thing that pops in my head: try an overnight oiling, saturating your entire head VS only getting the hair from your shoulders down. If you want to follow that train of thought further, post wash, you could try smoothing a few drops of your preferred oil on damp hair as or in conjunction with a leave-in. I do this and it works wonders!

As for the cassia - do you mix it with lemon juice? If so, try using a different acid. Maybe orange juice, or chamomile tea.

jojo
December 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
My you have gained a lot of length in a a relatively short time, your hair looks gorgeous maybe a little dry but thats easily sorted out!

For me honey mixed in conditioner works well, a little serum if your not against cones and the best conditioner which is cheaper on ebay is tigi moisture maniac its my most favourite of conditioners and never fails to deliver mirror shine.

Lianna
December 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I've had this problem, hair super soft but looks a bit dry. CO washing helped lay down the frizz a bit for some time, but I got too much build up, I could still do it, but isn't really "necessary" for me. So maybe you could try CO and sees how it goes. Also have you tried oiling while damp? Makes a lot of difference for me (and others I've seen here). You could also braid it while slightly damp, but you might get some waves (probably beautiful and defined though). You could also try a wrap, makes it shiny, less frizzy and straight. Or perhaps you're like me, with curlier hair than you thought, have you tried scrunching or letting it air dry without touching or combing? (comb while conditioning)

Main difference for me is a light damp oiling though, I'm too lazy to style it from damp (wait it dry to form a style) but once in a while is fun, specially because I wash everyday. :D I would definally do it more if I had such beautiful long hair as you though! Best wishes! :flower:

chrissy-b
December 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments! It's nice to hear other people's perspective. :)

I know how you feel getting the length but not the luscious shine and bounce, perhaps a coconut oil shampoo would work for you? Have you tried it yet?

I haven't tried that yet, but I may in the future if I can't find another solution. My hair is so thin and greasy and I'm afraid that would weight it down too much.

For friziness I use a lemon rinse (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745&highlight=lemon+frizz), it works wonders. ACV rinse didn't work for me, but this is amazing. I'd suggest giving it a try.
*edit*I usually just put a 10% lemon juice - 90% filtered water mixture in a bottle, pour it over my hair and scalp and put my hair up for 3-5 minutes, then rinse it out.

Thanks for this, I may have to switch!

My only suggestion is CO washing, a good trim and maybe some "Super Skinny" from Paul Mitchell (clear bottle, green top) - that will make your hair shine like glass (see my albums for proof!) ;)
Good Luck. But don't be too hard on yourself...

I tried CO washing when I first joined and it didn't work for me for the long-term.

The first thing that pops in my head: try an overnight oiling, saturating your entire head VS only getting the hair from your shoulders down. If you want to follow that train of thought further, post wash, you could try smoothing a few drops of your preferred oil on damp hair as or in conjunction with a leave-in. I do this and it works wonders!

I do leave the oil on overnight once a week. I used conditioner on my ends along with oil for months but didn't see a difference so I now use only oil on wet hair.

As for the cassia - do you mix it with lemon juice? If so, try using a different acid. Maybe orange juice, or chamomile tea.

I use chamomile tea in my cassia. Never have used lemon juice.

My you have gained a lot of length in a a relatively short time, your hair looks gorgeous maybe a little dry but thats easily sorted out!

The worst thing is that my hair isn't dry, it just looks like it. It is soft to the touch.

For me honey mixed in conditioner works well, a little serum if your not against cones and the best conditioner which is cheaper on ebay is tigi moisture maniac its my most favourite of conditioners and never fails to deliver mirror shine.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will give it a try! I'm generally cone-free except for one conditioner I use on occasion. I tried going back to cones after being cone-free for a long time and while they make my hair shinier, I don't like how limp my hair looks when I use them.

BeccaAngel
December 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I love your hair, its beautiful. but yea the ladies are right a good trim and something to moisturize better.

Fireweed
December 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Your hair looks great. A very, very little trim might make you happy, but I like how it looks now.

Dragon
December 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Great progress :)

Akiko
December 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Great progress!

Does the semi-permanent dye you used contain hydrogen peroxide?

I used semi-permanent dye twice and that killed shine. The damage from the dye showed up two years after the use. Yes, it took me a long time to figure out how damaging semi-perm dye really is. It looked so benign at the time. Supposed to wash out after 12 shampoos or so. Meh. Not true.

Like others say, oiling helps. But the shine like my virgin hair never comes bac. I have to trim away little by little.

Hope you can find a great way to make your hair even better!

jojo
December 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM
The tigi moisture maniac is cone free and my hair also goes through this looks dry but isnt too especially in winter. I am also wondering if your hair has some wave hiding there and this is why your not getting the shine you want. I also would try the CO method, you may be pleasantly surprised!

chrissy-b
December 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Great progress!

Does the semi-permanent dye you used contain hydrogen peroxide?

I used semi-permanent dye twice and that killed shine. The damage from the dye showed up two years after the use. Yes, it took me a long time to figure out how damaging semi-perm dye really is. It looked so benign at the time. Supposed to wash out after 12 shampoos or so. Meh. Not true.

It did, yes. I still have a little dark brown in my bangs (you can see them combed over the crown of my head) that still hasn't washed out from over six months ago. I'm sorry you still have damage, but it's good to hear that the damage I'm seeing could be from the dye.
Thanks for sharing!

The tigi moisture maniac is cone free and my hair also goes through this looks dry but isnt too especially in winter. I am also wondering if your hair has some wave hiding there and this is why your not getting the shine you want. I also would try the CO method, you may be pleasantly surprised!

It's weird that our hair does that, isn't it? I'll definitely try the moisture maniac, thanks for the rec. My hair does have a little wave in it, but when I use cones it completely goes away. :( And I tried CO for quite a while -- my length loved it, my scalp did not.

Tressie
December 19th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Congratulations!! Your hair has really grown and I think it is beautiful!! (o:

mellie89
December 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Your hair is beautiful! I know what you mean about the shine... unfortunately, my shine did not come back until I had grown out the damage from dye. Then again, my hair was very damaged, so maybe yours can be sorted out more easily.

I have a very similar hairtype, and I really benefit from switching between conditioners with cones and ones without. It helps give me shiny, moisturized hair without letting it get too weighed down. I like Aussie 3 Minute Miracle (cones) and the Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff from Sally's (cone-free) in particular.

Hope you can find a solution soon! Congratulations on your progress, you have beautiful hair. :)

tiny_teesha
December 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I haven't read through, but for shine- may i recommend a clarifying wash?

This is what works for me.

Bi-carb soda. Mix it in with a coneless shampoo, about a 1/4 tsp. And shampoo your scalp good and proper and gently bring it through to your ends. Rinse well.

Follow with a deep treatment that always works for you, be that an SMT (doesn't work for me) or a particular brand of conditioner mixed with 10 second microwaved honey (because non microwaved contains small levels of peroxide). For me i use a henna wax mask (apparently only found in Australia, so not so helpful for you!)

Acid rinse to seal the hair which makes it reflect more light and make it shinier. I dilute ACV or White vinegar to 8 parts water.

Your ends may be aging. The sun and damage will cause the hair to lighten, and loose scales, so it will appear more dull than the roots no matter what you do, i guess all you can do it baby your hair more and quit with the dyeing so the hair that is growing won't be dull at that point of growth too.

For me a cardamon tea spray will leave me ends slightly tangly for the first day, but then turns them into the SMOOTHEST SOFTEST ends ever all the days after. So i do this if my ends are getting tangly and wirey.

Oiling with a new oil perhaps? Some oils work for some, others don't do a thing. Castor oil for me does not work but others swear by it. EVOO, AO and CO are really good oils for most people.

If all else fails, try a cassia treatment on the ends or all over. And then if those don't work, or the other suggestions, i guess it's unfixable damage. cones could help mask this.

Henna or a trim might be in order as a last resort. :)

HTH

chrissy-b
December 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Thank you all for the sweet comments and great advice! I really appreciate it. :flower:

I'll try each one of the suggestions (one at a time) to see if I can alleviate the problem. I'm going to trim on Tuesday, and maintain at the current length for the year. Hopefully that will help too.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has anything more that hasn't already been suggested, please let me know. :)

LaurelSpring
December 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM
You have had some amazing growth! My vote is also that the damage is from the dye. It doesnt sound like you do any heat styling. My ends got like that from chemicals or heat styling. The semi perm does have peroxide in the developer. Its probably only 10 volume but that is enough to kill the shine and rough up your cuticle a good bit.

Your hair type is similar to mine so here is what worked for me. Here are some of my suggestions:

Nightbloomings Hair Panacea. You can get it on etsy and there is a thread here also. I love this stuff! It has really helped my ends.

Buttering rather than oiling my ends. Unfortunately oiling didnt seem to do much for me. I mix some shea butter, cocoa butter and a little coconut oil in a little container. Then I microwave it a bit to melt it and stir together. Then I let it sit in the fridge to harden. I put this on my ends every morning and after a wash and I use the Hair Panacea every night.

*Something I just discovered yesterday because sometimes I am really dense and slow is that the oil from my scalp and hands can really do wonders for the ends. I massaged my scalp then ran my hands down to my ends several times and got a really nice shine all the way to the ends.

My last suggestion is a henna gloss. I dont know if you would want to alter your color any but if you mixed a little low dye content henna like the pakistan into your cassia mix and did a gloss it could really help seal that cuticle and probably not alter your color too much but give you more shine. Just a thought!

Intransigentia
December 20th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Wow, I'm really impressed with your growth! It looks to me like you have plenty of shine at the top, which makes me think you just have some damage towards the bottom that will eventually grow out. I haven't been here long enough to be an expert though.

We now interrupt this post for some coconut oil shampoo evangelizing. Seriously, it's amazing. Somehow mixing the oil into the shampoo gets it to penetrate way better than oiling separately. My hair has a tendency to go limp, but the oil shampoo seems to actually give it more boingyness. And loads of shine.

Clarisse
December 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Cassia and all kins of color are shine killers - at least for me. I do however know that some people reports increased shine after cassia-treatments.
I think itís because it raises the tiny fish-like scales of the hair. This is also the reason that you gain volume that way.

Cassia is not permanent and does not damage hair, so perhaps you should just wait and not do any more cassias right now.

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 02:45 AM
WOoHoO Great progress!:cool: