PDA

View Full Version : Searching for shiny hair :)

Quixotica
December 19th, 2010, 10:28 AM
What's your favorite shine product? My hair is chemically colored every 6-8 weeks and loves cone-y leave-ins, if that helps. Even before coloring, my coarse hair has NEVER been shiny ( even when I was little ).

FYI - I've tried Jojoba and coconut oil, and CO washing. While they make my hair soft, neither does anything for shine (same goes for my HG leave-in, CHI silk infusion).

Thanks!

princessp
December 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM
My hair had also never been shiny, but it is now :) I think it is the henna and general better care (silk pillowcase and nightcap, oils, CWC etc.). I stopped highlighting it too.

luxepiggy
December 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Shu Uemura Art of Hair Full Shimmer conditioner! It's amaaaaaazing (^(oo)^)v

If you're on a budget though, Pantene Color Preserve Shine conditioner's not a bad choice either. I think your hair would probably do well with Fekkai's Brilliant Glossing Creme as well. It was a bit too heavy for my hair.

Bumble & Bumble does a great shine spray but it smells . . . not appealing (>(oo)<)` Sad, because it's really *quite* effective.

Quixotica
December 19th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Shu Uemura Art of Hair Full Shimmer conditioner! It's amaaaaaazing (^(oo)^)v

If you're on a budget though, Pantene Color Preserve Shine conditioner's not a bad choice either. I think your hair would probably do well with Fekkai's Brilliant Glossing Creme as well. It was a bit too heavy for my hair.

Bumble & Bumble does a great shine spray but it smells . . . not appealing (>(oo)<)` Sad, because it's really *quite* effective.

I'll definately keep all these in mind!! Coming from someone with hair as beautiful and shiny as yours, yup :)

luxepiggy
December 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I'll definately keep all these in mind!! Coming from someone with hair as beautiful and shiny as yours, yup :)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/3heo131.gif

Thank you! :o I too find myself on a constant mission to increase shine! In fact, I'm planning to pick up a new shine spray someone recommended to me in the next few days - I'll definitely report back if I get good results (^(oo)^)

LoversLullaby
December 19th, 2010, 11:35 AM
To add shine to my hair, I do a special rinse at the very end of my shower. I mix together 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. I pour this on my hair after washing and conditioning, leave it on for 2 minutes, and rinse. Beautiful shiny hair!

Quixotica
December 19th, 2010, 11:36 AM
To add shine to my hair, I do a special rinse at the very end of my shower. I mix together 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. I pour this on my hair after washing and conditioning, leave it on for 2 minutes, and rinse. Beautiful shiny hair!

Oh!! Thanks!!

luxepiggy
December 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
That reminds me! I totally forgot about the cool water final rinse! And the beer rinses, which I do in lieu of ACV (^(oo)~)

Beer for Hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55808&highlight=beer)

Alvrodul
December 19th, 2010, 12:12 PM
For me, as for princessp, henna is no doubt the most important reason for the shininess of my hair. (I looooove you, Lawsonia Inermis!)
But I also don't doubt that vinegar rinses and oil helps. :)

Avital88
December 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM
For sure henna glosses ! My hair has so much shine now plus less coloring and eating good fats helped me a lot!

Becky Safari
December 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have noticed an increase in shine with ACV rinses and after I brush with a BBB

jojo
December 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Honey is great for adding shine, either straight on wet hair no its not sticky when in hair! or mixed in some conditioner.

Leave on for 30 mins to 1 hour and rinse well...voila!

spidermom
December 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Try a lemon juice rinse. I tried about 1 tsp in 10-12 ounces of warm water after washing and conditioning a few days ago. I poured it slowly over my scalp and through my hair, squeezed out the extra water, and left it in. My hair practically glowed in the dark.

However, shine is not a challenge with my hair so I don't guarantee this.

Oh - and if you haven't clarified in a long time, do that first. My hair always gets dull when it has too much stuff on it (like oil residue, cone residue, etc).

ericthegreat
December 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Well for me personally, coconut oil is God's gift. Coconut oil is my ultimate natural deep treatment, it shines, softens, and conditions my hair. I know you said that for you it didn't give you the shine you wanted, but I would still nonetheless recommend it for the softness and conditioning factor.

Since you are looking for shine however, I would definitely recommend some kind of an acidic rinse. You can try vinegar, or apple cider vinegar, citric acid, or even lemon juice, dilute it with water and pour that over your hair.

orbiting
December 19th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Genetics :D

But besides that, I use Bed Head's Head Rush... I've also used Pure Shine when I was younger, but it doesn't smell as nice. I do dislike how chemically Head Rush smells.. BioSilk shine serum was really awesome, but too expensive for me (though... I miss it, and might get it again soon. Less chemical smell). I hear FX Silk Drops works well, too

caadam
December 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I want to try a beer rinse....
but my hair already has a lot of body,
I'm wondering if the beer will just make
my hair poofy. o_O lol
And I also need to try a diluted lemon rinse!
I've tried diluted vinegar rinses, but it makes
my hair stink, especially my ends.
(though I may have used too much vinegar
in the past -shrugs-)

Darkhorse1
December 19th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Just read the first page--be careful of ACV as it can strip color (I think)

Is your hair blond? I know that shine comes from a flat cuticle that reflects light. The flatter the cuticle, the shinier the hair. So, blond hair has a harder time looking shiny as it's lighter. Dark hair shows shine the best (according to magazines ;) )

I found oiling hair before a wash helped when my hair started to look dull. I also go with a demi-permanent color option as it leaves locks shiny. I also started a cool water rinse and that helped with shine.

Tiina
December 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Urtekram Aloe Vera conditioner does wonders for me.

ravenreed
December 19th, 2010, 04:15 PM
My hair has a lot of shine to it. I am not sure what is causing it, but I CO, do a catnip rinse and an ACV rinse every time, and sleep on either a silk or a satin pillowcase. It is also pretty dark. My understanding is that darker hair shines more. Oh, and when I use AVG on my hair, it glows like a mirror. It is one reason I don't use that product often. I am actually looking to reduce the shine in my hair.

Chibbylick
December 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I think you should head over to the Movies Star Method thread, shampoo mixed with Coconut oil is giving lots of people the shiniest hair of their lives...

JuneBride
December 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Super Skinny!!!

Sophiawavyhair
December 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM
My hair is coarse too and it lost its shine after bleaching and flat ironing, I tried coney leave ins and they did nothing for me. Coconut oil makes my hair soft, not shiny, my hair absorbs it quickly and the shine is gone :( ... Nothing worked until I tried ACV rinse !!! That stuff is amazing! Leaves my hair very shiny and with pretty waves.

2 tbsp per cup of distilled water, I use it as my final rinse, and leave it in.

FullMoonTrim
December 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Two shine tricks you might consider trying
1. eating Omega-3's every day (in food or supplement)
2. Washing hair with cool water only.
3. Apple Cider vinegar! I almost forgot. I add 2 tablespoons in a cup of water and rinse it through my hair before shampoo. I leave it on for about 5 minutes then wash out. It makes a huge difference.
Good luck!! :)

Shany
December 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM
My hair is very soft and shiny when I use biolage conditionning balm and then an apple cider vinegar rinse

Quixotica
December 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Just read the first page--be careful of ACV as it can strip color (I think)

Is your hair blond? I know that shine comes from a flat cuticle that reflects light. The flatter the cuticle, the shinier the hair. So, blond hair has a harder time looking shiny as it's lighter. Dark hair shows shine the best (according to magazines ;) )

Hey there! Nope, my hair is naturally a dark brown and I dye it a natural black.

I think you should head over to the Movies Star Method thread, shampoo mixed with Coconut oil is giving lots of people the shiniest hair of their lives...

I'll do it promptly. Thanks!