PDA

View Full Version : Foods for growing glorious hair

StormVixen
December 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I tried searching but didn't find much really.

I eat a normal balanced diet of fish, meat, veggies and carbohydrates (rice, potatoes, pasta etc.) but I'd like to include foods which contain nutrients specifically good for hair growth.

I'm taking supplements for other things already so don’t really want to take any different ones... (I take B-vitamins, Evening Primrose, Starflower (Borage) and Flaxseed oils, Magnesium and Calcium; I will probably invest in a Multi-Vitamin and Mineral at some point though)

So... are there any nutritionists or diet experts around here? I would be REALLY interested to find out what foods I should be eating to help my hair grow long, healthy and strong... :D

Becky Safari
December 19th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Salmon, dark green vegetables, beans, nuts, eggs, whole grains, oysters, carrots, bananas, avocados...these are some I know of

StormVixen
December 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Salmon, dark green vegetables, beans, nuts, eggs, whole grains, oysters, carrots, bananas, avocados...these are some I know of

so they include omega oils, iron, protein, potassium and other things???

Igor
December 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Heh, this is one of the harder questions if you ask me. It seems like whenever someone makes a list of “Good foods for hair” it ends up including pretty much every single “healthy food” there is.

Good fats, lean proteins, grains, yoghurt, leafy greens, well, honestly every single normal, non hyped-fad-diet, generally recommended food is good for growing your hair :shrug:

Purdy Bear
December 19th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Bananas, swiss chard, watercress, onions and the onion family, natural yoghurt.

brunetka
December 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I think it's pretty much "eat healthy, drink lots of water". :)

soapstone
December 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Almonds, salmon, avocado, olive oil. Doctor recommended for me for healthy veins.
Can't hurt the goldy locks either.

shikara
December 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Each day, I make sure to include a brazil nut (and some others from a deluxe mixture), ground flax, (in the winter a vitamin D pill), which I decided upon after googling foods for healthy hair. But as others have mentioned, I would guess that an overall healthy diet, with some exercise, and being able to manage stress are vital since the overall health of a person contributes to the health of the hair. I avoid anything processed, except for the minor processing my whole wheat cereal may have, and I make sure to include lentils - just toss them in the slow cooker with soup/stew etc.

Avital88
December 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Flax seed and avocado are my secrets:) I was thinking about doing a test and eat halve avocado every day for a month to see how much it will affect my growth.

mrs_coffee
December 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
For me healthy fats seem to be key. I eat a lot of coconut oil, avocados, nuts/nut butter, and pastured butter. If I go to low on fats in my diet my hair gets dry and my scalp gets dry and itchy.

Fairlight63
December 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Milk, eggs, nuts, fish, protein

Tabitha
December 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Philip Kingsley (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1339519/All-I-want-Christmas-Foie-gras-make-hair-grow-.html) says that foie gras is the stuff to go for - I must say I love it but (a) it's not cheap and (b) I feel so sorry for the poor geese.

Philip Kingsley, founder, Philip Kingsley Trichological Clinics, London and New York

It's terrifically un-PC of me to say, but I'd really appreciate a supply of foie gras. A truly luxury protein food that is full of minerals and vitamins, it is excellent nourishment for hair - from the inside out (at these prices you wouldn't really smear it on, then wash it off). Unlike regular goose or duck liver, it has a lovely buttery richness and is not at all bitter. Delicious.

There is apparently a firm which produces "ethical" foie gras where the birds are allowed to regulate their own intake but I haven't got round to investigating it yet - it's the kind of thing I have in restaurants rather than cook at home, in any case.

arc691
December 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Peanut Butter!! I had an accident while swimming in the ocean with my hair down a few years ago~ I had to cut a lot off because it was tangled so badly. I started eating a spoonful of peanut butter every day (my aunt's hairdresser recommended this for hair growth), and my hair grew so quickly, in length and thickness. You can't even tell that anything ever happened. And it was really bad! I had a big gap in the middle, and ended up trimming almost to waist level to try and hide the gap. Very depressing!! But look at me now!!! :p ;) :eyebrows:

Peanut butter, ladies~ it works!!!

Tia2010
December 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I just try to eat a healthy diet that includes alot of the foods others have already mentioned. I drink lots of water , take a multivitamin and an omega vitamin, and in the morning I either have fresh juice (love my juicer) or I make a fresh smoothie (which I make with fresh berries and Greek yogurt) or green smoothie every morning before a workout. I think my overall health has a bigger impact on my hair than just one thing I could do for it.

ETA : arc691 ... based on your hair I think I may have to add peanut butter to my diet :)

Igor
December 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
There is apparently a firm which produces "ethical" foie gras where the birds are allowed to regulate their own intake but I haven't got round to investigating it yet - it's the kind of thing I have in restaurants rather than cook at home, in any case.
I don’t believe that, not even a tiny little bit.
Foie gras is made only by the natural defence mechanism in the liver of the poor animal when being forcefully stuffed full. There is no way an animal would willingly put itself through the discomfort caused by a level of feeding that can produce foie gras.

Tabitha
December 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I don’t believe that, not even a tiny little bit.
Foie gras is made only by the natural defence mechanism in the liver of the poor animal when being forcefully stuffed full. There is no way an animal would willingly put itself through the discomfort caused by a level of feeding that can produce foie gras.
I don't remember much about it but they claim that FG was first discovered by accident because the geese stuff themselves on autumn fruits ahead of the winter. The fatty liver is kind of like a camel's hump and they live off it during the harsh season. So these people let geese loose in an orchard and allow themselves to eat their fill ... supposedly. And apparently the FG isn't as rich as the kind produced by "gavage".

I rather wish I'd never tasted it, I really love it (I hate caviar but FG is just so luscious).

jojo
December 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Any balanced diet is good, if your healthy your hair is healthy and make sure your properly hydrated and a daily vit to make sure, its all I do!

Avital88
December 24th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Ohh i see peanutbutter!Love it. I have been eating that every day for the past 10 days!
I need to buy another jar haha,i would love to test if that one works

Ishje
December 24th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I am glad to know about the peanut butter as well :D
yet another reason to eat it ;)

I used to drink soy milk with extra vitamin b12 as well, but I am not sure if that helped.

Imnotarobot
December 24th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Protein, vegetables, water

naushin83
December 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM
didnt know abt peanut butter one

gotta start havin em :D
thnx for the thread

mrs_coffee
December 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I eat peanut butter every day. I love the stuff. If it helps my hair grow faster, awesome.

lovinmylife
December 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM
How is everyone taking the flax seed? I have no idea how to ingest it! lol. Is it a pill like a multivitamin? Or do you actually buy the seeds somewhere? (and if so where?)

yay! I will be eating pb & j like its going out of style now! hahah.

I am still on birth control (which is effecting my hair loss:( ) but I need it for my endometriosis... is there anything that can counter act the androgen effect of seasonique?

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I'm on a diet. and I drink these drinks called " muscle milk"

when you drink 5-6 of them a day. you get over 100 percent of your daily dose of every vitaimin and mineral you can think of. also each shake contains 20g of protein. it also has biotin which i heard makes hair grow faster.

i just started these shakes 3 days ago. i'm exicited to see what the results are. I hope my hair starts growing like a weed. wish me luck :D

Naphthylamine
December 25th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I eat two spoonfuls of grape or mulberry molasses every morning. They are really rich in iron, it so helps with both hair growth and anemia.

naushin83
December 25th, 2010, 06:53 AM
:D good luck with "muscle milk " :D

virgo75
December 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Eggs.

My hair grows faster in the winter.
The only thing I change in the winter is that I eat eggs for breakfast most days.
They're too heavy for me to eat for breakfast during the warmer months.

Also my mother's hair grows like a weed.
She eat's eggs every single morning and lots of protein throughout the day.

chrissy-b
December 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM
How is everyone taking the flax seed? I have no idea how to ingest it! lol. Is it a pill like a multivitamin? Or do you actually buy the seeds somewhere? (and if so where?)

I take flax seed oil softgels daily. You can also buy just the oil and the seeds whole or ground. All must be refrigerated because they go rancid quickly. If you want to use the seeds themselves, they must be ground before ingesting, and I would suggest buying the whole seeds and grinding with a coffee grinder before you add them to your food as the pre-ground will go bad quicker than whole seeds.

Aquamarine
January 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Okay, my new year's hair resolution is to eat a spoonful of peanut butter every day! :cheese:

Elenna
January 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM
In complete agreement about eggs. They are a great source of dietary protein. I knew about this from reading about feeding eggs to dogs for shiny coats.

In complete agreement about healthy fats for hair. I eat lots of pecans and almonds. They taste pretty good, so must be good for the hair. :D

GhostLocks
January 4th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Apple cider vinegar is amazing for basically everything in your body. I would suggest having more apple cider vinegar added to your diet because it help your body have a high alkaline body which makes your body more immune (being sick is bad for your hair) and it also improves circulation which means that your hair roots will be stimulated. Just make sure it's apple cider Also try to eat dark chocolate (mmmm.... Chocolate) because the sulfur is also good for your hair.

Elspeth30
January 4th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I have read that Biotin is an important nutrient for hair. Good sources of it include oatmeal, egg yolks and peanuts. (Which were mentioned above.)

Malibu Barbie
January 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Lots of water and exercise.. Exercise helps with
circulation and this helps with hair growth.

RachieBaby
March 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Anyone who was going to start eating peanut butter everyday, did you notice a difference in hair growth after you started to eat it? :)

HintOfMint
March 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I always have a jar of peanut butter by my bed, with a spoon right next to it. And yes, I've been known to wake up in the middle of the night to have a nom. :o

Fufu
March 9th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Eat Salmon, it's number 1 food for healthy hair :)

bunzfan
March 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Peanut Butter!! I had an accident while swimming in the ocean with my hair down a few years ago~ I had to cut a lot off because it was tangled so badly. I started eating a spoonful of peanut butter every day (my aunt's hairdresser recommended this for hair growth), and my hair grew so quickly, in length and thickness. You can't even tell that anything ever happened. And it was really bad! I had a big gap in the middle, and ended up trimming almost to waist level to try and hide the gap. Very depressing!! But look at me now!!! :p ;) :eyebrows:

Peanut butter, ladies~ it works!!!

I totally believe this as a few months back i started to eat peanut butter on toast in the morning mainly because i liked it and boy did my hair grow, i think i may have to go back to it as my hair is taking forever to get to Mid back. Thanks Arc691 for stating what i already believed :D

In the past when i ate a yoghurt every day this really helped my growth rate. At the moment i am eating fish 3 times a week as its high in protein and eating a protein rich diet really helps, before i knew protein really helps your hair growth as hair is actually made of protein i had a terrible diet mainly living on pasta without meat or fish and my hair didn't growth much at all.

RachieBaby
March 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ok you've convinced me about the peanut butter! Im gonna try eating peanut butter everyday and see if I get any extra growth :D I will know as i'd never tried peanut butter before until today. I will try eating it on toast in the morning or if I forget I will eat a teaspoonful :)

perkidanman
March 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
A bit off topic but as far as ethical Foie Gras Goes:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1915601,00.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html

bunzfan
March 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Ok you've convinced me about the peanut butter! Im gonna try eating peanut butter everyday and see if I get any extra growth :D I will know as i'd never tried peanut butter before until today. I will try eating it on toast in the morning or if I forget I will eat a teaspoonful :)

Its lovely on hot toast and yoghurt really helps to as its rich in protein, i have been eat Marmite which apparently is full of b vitamins.

RachieBaby
March 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Its lovely on hot toast and yoghurt really helps to as its rich in protein, i have been eat Marmite which apparently is full of b vitamins.

Oooooo im already trying to eat plenty of yoghurt too :) if only I liked marmite :o lol I will try peanut butter on hot toast like you suggested :)

RachieBaby
April 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Ok thought i'd update! Peanut butter on toast is a great success! :D Sooo yummy! Not sure if it's given me any extra hair growth though as i've been trying to eat a lot more fish too. I've also discovered sardines on toast om nom!

Also not not sure if anyone else is a Jamie Oliver fan but he's got an awesome recipe for an omelette involving mackerel :)

I've been upping my water intake too and trying to drink more rooibos (red bush) tea. I think all these things have played a factor in my hair this month, not just one of them.

christine1989
April 17th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I really dislike some of the "best" foods for hair growth like eggs, fish and yogurt but I incorporate plenty of black eyed peas, flax seeds, cucumber (for silica) and nut butters. My hair has been consistently getting thicker over the past year so I must not be doing too badly! ;)

Toffee20
April 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I've heard eating plenty of protein is good.. & I think my hair seems better when I have boiled egg for breakfast... Definitely drinking plenty of water... not that I have enough =/

Mrs.Witherup
April 12th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Anyone eating molasses for growth?? I have some that I bought for Christmas cooking and it's just sitting in my cabinet, if I could be eating it to make my hair grow!

wavykisses
April 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Anyone eating molasses for growth?? I have some that I bought for Christmas cooking and it's just sitting in my cabinet, if I could be eating it to make my hair grow!

Me I can't do it everyday because it's too sweet, but once or twice a week I drink a cup of chamomille tea with around a tsp of molasses

JellyBene
April 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I know for sure that lots of water is great for hair, and skin for that matter!

gogirlanime
April 13th, 2012, 12:59 AM
This is what I would suggest, I know a lot about nutrition and diet, I worked at GNC for 4 years (not as another employee that knows nothing about vitamins though I am really passionate about nutrition and nutrients) so I know a lot about the nutrition end of growing hair

Nutrients that are good for the hair
-Sulphur
-Biotin
-Silica
-Choline
-Inositol
-B vitamins
-Vitamin C
-Vitamin E
-Omega 3
-Omega 6
-Omega 7
-Lots of water
-Protein
-MSM
-Collagen
-Hyaluronic acid
-Phytoestrogens
-Vitamin and mineral balance

The Main Specific "Winner" Foods
-Garlic
-Soy
-Chocolate
-Peanuts and peanut butter
-Almonds
-Spinach
-Carrots
-Eggs
-Berries
-Salmon
-Flax
-Avocados

The most important food for your hair is a healthy and well-balanced diet. We all know what this is, low in sugar, saturated fats, and salt. Lots of FRESH (not cooked or fried to death) fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, legumes, beans, nuts, whole grains, and healthy unsaturated fats.

I went vegan a few years ago (well, 99% vegan I cheat sometimes :p) and my hair grows much more healthy these days, faster an stronger. I eat a lot of nuts (almonds and peanut butter specifically), beans (white, soy, red kidney, garbanzo, black), tofu, a large variety of fruits and vegetables (everything from the everyday apple to exotic starfuit or mangosteen) then I drink lots and lots of water

High sources of Sulphur (also known as "Thiols" and "MSM" is a form of sulphur)
-Onions
-Garlic
-Tofu
-Spinach
-Eggs
-Chocolate
High Sulphur food list (http://livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/)

High sources of Biotin
-Swiss chard
-Carrots
-Almonds
-Eggs
-Goat/Cow milk
-Berries
-Fruit
-Halibut
-Vegetables

High sources of Silica
-Horsetail (very high, as an herb for supplementation or tea)
-Cucumbers
-Almonds
-Peanuts
-Onions
-Carrots
-Nuts
-Seeds
Silicon - Deficiency and Food Sources (http://candy.articlealley.com/silicon--deficiency-and-food-sources-144952.html)

High sources of choline
-Meat
-Seafood
-Eggs
-Milk
-Soy
-Seeds
-Nuts
-Vegetables
-Chocolate

High sources of Inositol (caffeine depletes your body's inositol levels)
-Beans
-Citrus fruits
-Cantaloupe
-Whole grains

High sources of B vitamins
-Basically everything whole and healthy
-Meats
-Vegetables
-Whole grains
-Nuts
-Beans
-Fruits

High sources of Vitamin C
-Acerola
-Chili peppers
-Red bell peppers
-Guavas
-Thyme
-Parsley
-Dark greens
-Broccoli
-Kiwi
-Papaya
-Oranges
-Strawberries

High sources of Vitamin E
-Sunflower seeds
-Paprika
-Red Chilis
-Avocados
-Almonds
-Pine nuts
-Peanuts
-Basil
-Oregano
-Green olives
-Olive oil
-Grapeseed oil

High sources of Omega 3
-Flaxseeds
-Chia seeds
-Salmon
-Cod
-Olive oil
-Grapeseed oil
-Krill
-Avocados
-Nuts
-Seeds

High sources of Omega 6
-Meats
-Nuts
-Seeds
-Oils

High sources of Omega 7
-Seabuckthorn berries
-Dairy

High sources of collagen
-Soy
-Red fruits
-Dark green vegetables

High sources of Hyaluronic acid
-Organ meats
-Fish oil
-Fruit

High sources of phytoestrogens (warning: if you have a history or family history of estrogen-related cancers I suggest staying away from phytoestrogens, also, more is not better with phytoestrogens but having a healthy amount in your diet helps your hair and your heart health)
-Soy
-Beer with hops
-Flaxseeds
-Aguaje (brazilian fruit)
-Garlic
-Garbanzo beans

Littlewing13
April 13th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Broccoli has lots of sulfur. Lots of vegies!

Mrs.Witherup
April 13th, 2012, 04:47 AM
So my molasses states that it is unsulphered :( No benefits without sulpur?? And it tastes horrible!

pinkb21
April 13th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Does anyone eat coconut oil?!?

MissCoco
April 13th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Gogirlanime, thank you for your amazing, thoroughly informative post! I copied and pasted it all into a document, hope you don't mind. :o :flower:

MissCoco
April 13th, 2012, 05:36 AM

*raises hand* Yup, I do! :D As well as coconut shreds, coconut milk, etc. Taking coconut internally (if you don't mind the taste) is just as important as applying it topically.

einna
April 13th, 2012, 07:40 AM
At the moment I am taking hemp seed oil. I bought it to use on my hair, but then I read here that it is a drying oil, and can be hard to remove from hair. I found out that it has a good ratio of omega 3 and 6, and also tasted good, sweet and nutty. It was expencive, so I try to eat a teaspoon every day, and I will try to incorporate it in food, like salad dressings, dips and smoothies.

Link with info: http://www.eco-natural.com/oils/hemp_seed_oil.html

PinkyCat
April 13th, 2012, 07:59 AM

I did for about a month - but found it gave me terrible headaches.

longcurlygirl<3
April 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM
beans! it has protein and is good for your hair :)

hootski
April 13th, 2012, 09:52 AM
The most important food for your hair is a healthy and well-balanced diet. We all know what this is, low in sugar, saturated fats, and salt. Lots of FRESH (not cooked or fried to death) fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, legumes, beans, nuts, whole grains, and healthy unsaturated fats.

I went vegan a few years ago (well, 99% vegan I cheat sometimes :p) and my hair grows much more healthy these days, faster an stronger. I eat a lot of nuts (almonds and peanut butter specifically), beans (white, soy, red kidney, garbanzo, black), tofu, a large variety of fruits and vegetables (everything from the everyday apple to exotic starfuit or mangosteen) then I drink lots and lots of water.Great post, couldn't agree more! I also went vegan over a year ago and basically live off of whole unprocessed plant foods. I don't eat sugar (or even agave, maple syrup etc.), no processed oils, and low salt. I eat lots of beans, lentils, hemp seeds, unroasted raw nuts, flax seed, chia seeds, dark leafy greens, fresh fruit and lots of veggies, quinoa, millet, etc. etc. Now my hair seems to grow like a weed and it was never slow in the first place. Nice for growing it long, but it means I have to hendigo more often! Oh well. :)

neet
April 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
hey..i think green leafy vegetables,milk products are essential for hair growth:)

jacqueline101
April 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Whole wheat bread peanut butter sand which as a snack.

DreadfulWoman
April 13th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I've heard that molasses is good as well, but I'm not sure why. When I look at the back of the bottle of it I have in the fridge it doesn't seem all that nutritious.

Anyway, I was just going to say not to eat molasses straight. I have heard it will rot your teeth because it has so much sugar in it, and sticks to your teeth. Sometimes I put a tablespoon or so in a glass of warm soy milk (or regular milk would work, obviously) with some cinnamon mixed in, and it is delicious that way.

einna
April 13th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I am really inspired by this thread! I just went grocery shopping, and bought avocados, salmon, leafy greens, carrots, fresh juice, fruit, almonds, walnuts, cheese and beans.
I often eat these things anyways, but it did make me focus more on the healthy foods in the store, and stear clear from the snacks. ;)
I also looked at peanut butter, but did not like the ingredients list. I'm gonna get it at the health food store instead, when I go to buy my Rooibos. ;)

One of the things I really like about the hair growing "hobby", is that is is fantastic to combine with working for a healthier life :)

Vijikanth
April 14th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I'm going hunting for peanut butter. I already take an egg every morning and have raw vegetables for breakfast. I guess I have crosed APL. not able to post any pics now.
great growing all of you...

wavykisses
April 14th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I've heard that molasses is good as well, but I'm not sure why. When I look at the back of the bottle of it I have in the fridge it doesn't seem all that nutritious.

Molasses has a bunch minerals and is high in iron and copper, sometimes you can have grey hair as a mineral deficiency and if you take your minerals you can have some color back on your hair:cheer: plus great grow

Jemoiselle
April 14th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I've been a Nutritarian for 3 years now, which means I only eat fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds and beans, with an emphasis on dark leafy greens. I do not consume any added salt, oil, sugar, anything processed, no grains, no flours. All I can say is, my hair has grown as it always has, including pre-Nutritarianism :) Many other things have changed, but not the rate of growth.

The only things I have confirmed to make my hair grow faster are pregnancy and Rooibos tea not necessarily at the same time LOL. Those two make an amazing difference.

I'm a huge believer in whole foods being potent with regards to curing ones self of diseases of affluence etc, but I'm sad to say that for me at least, it has made absolutely no difference in my rate of growth on average. One thing it *has* done, however, is increase the circumference of my ponytail by .25 inch compared to pre-nutritarianism, and the one gray hair I had fell out and stopped growing back. But in the end, every body is different, and my experience might be completely different than someone else's. Because I have no intentions of having another little one *knocks on wood* I'm sticking to rooibos! I see a huge difference with it, if I consume it daily. I've seen as much as 2 inches in one month with Rooibos; it's amazing stuff!

Good luck!

hootski
April 14th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Jemoiselle, you're a nutritarian???!! How cool, me too. I love it. I've only just gotten really strict with staying on track and I'm hoping it makes a difference in reversing the greys. I've heard of it happening to others.

That's amazing about your results with Rooibos! ................OH MY WORD, I just googled Rooibos and all this time I thought Rooibos had caffeine and my bladder turns on me when I have caffeine so I thought I couldn't have any. I'll be getting some today!

Thanks for mentioning it, you never know. :)

Jemoiselle
April 14th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Jemoiselle, you're a nutritarian???!! How cool, me too. I love it. I've only just gotten really strict with staying on track and I'm hoping it makes a difference in reversing the greys. I've heard of it happening to others.

That's amazing about your results with Rooibos! ................OH MY WORD, I just googled Rooibos and all this time I thought Rooibos had caffeine and my bladder turns on me when I have caffeine so I thought I couldn't have any. I'll be getting some today!

Thanks for mentioning it, you never know. :)

Another Nutritarian on the boards, AWESOME! :cheer::D:happydance: Are you on Dr. F's forum too? I go by the same name there, but I am never there LOL. My story is though. Congrats on taking the next step and getting really serious! It takes a short while in the beginning to figure out that this is really going to be a good thing, number one, and number two, that you really like how it makes you feel and want to feel even better. It took me from April 2009 to September 2009 to do as you are doing right now, figuring it all out, that is is a life decision we can live with and dare I say it, love too. ;) Thanks for chiming in! It's always amazing when I run into someone who doesn't say "Nutri...what?" and instead is a one, indeed! Has it affected your hair growth any? I thought for sure it would mine, but three years into it, nope. My hair is really different though in other ways as I mentioned. My skin is the most improved of anything.

wavykisses
April 14th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Hootski and ,jemoiselle where can I learn about how to be nutitarian. Do you read a book, go to a doctor? Im really interested on the subject

Fethenwen
April 14th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I just bought some peanut butter thanks to this thread :p

Yum!

PolarCathy
April 14th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Guys, just one thing, I haven't read back much if it has been mentioned. Please buy only organic peanut butter. I normally don't really care if something is organic (because it's so much more expensive) but PB is the only thing I always check. Google why (pesticides)

Dark Rapunzel
April 14th, 2012, 08:21 AM

yay! I will be eating pb & j like its going out of style now! hahah.

I am still on birth control (which is effecting my hair loss:( ) but I need it for my endometriosis... is there anything that can counter act the androgen effect of seasonique?
I buy ground flax seeds and put them in EVERYTHING! I make my own oatmeal almost every morning and throw in a handfull of them. I put them in smoothies, soup, mashed potatoes, anything!!

Springgrl
April 14th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I am 100&#37; certain that, at least for me, eating 2-3 soft boiled eggs a day for the last few years has thickened up my hair significantly and made it grow faster. I think one of the secrets to this is finding "farm fresh" eggs. They are usually higher in vitamins and omega fats.

hootski
April 14th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Another Nutritarian on the boards, AWESOME! :cheer::D:happydance: Are you on Dr. F's forum too? I go by the same name there, but I am never there LOL. My story is though.Pretty cool! Yes I'm on Dr. F's forum, I go by HeidiH. I need to catch up on there, this month I'm trying to stay active in the April Accountability thread. I'll try to find your story later. :)

Congrats on taking the next step and getting really serious! It takes a short while in the beginning to figure out that this is really going to be a good thing, number one, and number two, that you really like how it makes you feel and want to feel even better. It took me from April 2009 to September 2009 to do as you are doing right now, figuring it all out, that is is a life decision we can live with and dare I say it, love too. ;) Thanks for chiming in! It's always amazing when I run into someone who doesn't say "Nutri...what?" and instead is a one, indeed!I know! When I read "Nutritarian" in your post, I had to go back and read it again to make sure I was seeing it right! :D

Has it affected your hair growth any? I thought for sure it would mine, but three years into it, nope. My hair is really different though in other ways as I mentioned. My skin is the most improved of anything.Yes I believe it has affected my hair growth. Mine was never slow, but it's definitely bumped up the speed. I used to get your typical 1/2" per month, but now it seems to be closer to 3/4". I seriously could be taking henna/indigo to my roots every 2 weeks if I really wanted to fool people into thinking this was my natural colour, LOL!

I hear amla powder promotes hair growth too (I add it to my henna mix), so come to think of it, that might also be a contributing factor. Still, I can't believe that all this amazing living whole food I'm eating isn't making a difference too. ;)

hootski
April 14th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Hootski and ,jemoiselle where can I learn about how to be nutitarian. Do you read a book, go to a doctor? Im really interested on the subjectNo need to go to a doctor, I discovered nutritarianism when I was researching healthy eating lifestyles. I'd never heard the term before.

The doctor who coined the phrase is Dr. Joel Fuhrman. His book "Eat to Live" is the perfect introduction into eating for optimal health and disease prevention.

You can get an online version of the book. That's what I did, I didn't want to wait!

There's also a great and very active Yahoo group. His forum requires a membership but it's so worth it.

Eat to Live (http://www.drfuhrman.com/) (tons of info here, you could spend hours!) :)

Eat to Live Vook (E-book) (web browser application) - in the list of options on this page. (http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/ETLBook.aspx)

wavykisses
April 14th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thank you Hootski I think I will buy the book, I really want to change my eating habits and be more healthy and you guys got me thinking about it.

hootski
April 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM
You're very welcome wavykisses! It's something I literally stumbled onto and it's been a worthwhile transition. If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting a membership at Dr. F's site, making sure you get the membership where you can post in the forum. If you ever do, make sure to look me up! (HeidiH). Everyone is super nice and it's really active (nothing worse than a barely alive forum!) :)

Honeyfall
April 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM
All this about Nutritarianism sounds exciting!

Just wanted to chime in and add that my mum swears by cashews. She practically lives on them, and since she started eating them I've noticed her nails have gone from soft and weak to very strong. She claims that her hair is stronger and healthier for it too, but it's hard for me to judge because she keeps it short so it always looks healthy and full to me.

I should note that she does eat hard boiled eggs pretty regularly as well, so that might be a contributing factor. There is a woman in our area who raises ducks and sells their eggs, and she says they're higher in protein/lower in cholesterol than chicken eggs. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that, but I am going to test it after reading all of the comments about eggs on this thread. :D

wavykisses
April 14th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thank you hootski I will look at the forum too, this is exciting yeiiii for eating more healthy

Kristin
April 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
This thread makes me so happy! I always tell people that all the avocado I eat is what makes my hair shiny, but I thought I was making it up! Yay!

leslissocool
April 14th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Whey protein powder, those things make my hair grow like a weed!

Also, seaweed...High in Iron, My baby girl, stepson and I love it (a pack a day kinda thing). We all have fast growing hair.

I'm going to incorporate advice from here :cheese: maybe it will work for me! I love this thread :cheese:!

CaityBear
April 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I am 100% certain that, at least for me, eating 2-3 soft boiled eggs a day for the last few years has thickened up my hair significantly and made it grow faster. I think one of the secrets to this is finding "farm fresh" eggs. They are usually higher in vitamins and omega fats.

Hmmm, maybe I should get serious about eating more eggs...one of the reasons I cut my hair all off was to try to thicken it up before growing it out again...

einna
April 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Guys, just one thing, I haven't read back much if it has been mentioned. Please buy only organic peanut butter. I normally don't really care if something is organic (because it's so much more expensive) but PB is the only thing I always check. Google why (pesticides)

Thanks for the tip! :)

nobeltonya
April 16th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I've eaten mainly Indian foods for the past 5.5 years [married one]. That includes WHEAT breads, rice [mainly white, some red], veggies, lean meats, lentils, various spices and herbs, milk.. we cook at home, 99&#37; of the time. If we do get food out, it's usually from an Indian restaurant. That has helped improve the condition of my hair significantly, in addition to learning how to properly care for it.. I used to be a microwave food queen. :D

vintage88
April 17th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I've eaten mainly Indian foods for the past 5.5 years [married one]. That includes WHEAT breads, rice [mainly white, some red], veggies, lean meats, lentils, various spices and herbs, milk.. we cook at home, 99% of the time. If we do get food out, it's usually from an Indian restaurant. That has helped improve the condition of my hair significantly, in addition to learning how to properly care for it.. I used to be a microwave food queen. :D

Indian food is great I love it, and it's interesting to hear your hair has improved. Will have an excuse to eat it more often now!;)

Othala
April 17th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I've eaten mainly Indian foods for the past 5.5 years [married one]......That has helped improve the condition of my hair significantly, in addition to learning how to properly care for it.

I have a theory about this. I think the spices in Indian foods, or rather the daily dose of spices for regular Indian food eaters, acts as vasodilators of the hair follicle i.e. it widens the blood capillaries which means more circulation of blood = more nourishment of the dermal papilla which is responsible for the creation of hair.

I can't eat Indian food more than every other day because it makes me :run: to the loo. Pity, because I love, it but I have developed a sensitive stomach over the years.

leslissocool
April 17th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Pesticides, and it has a lot of sugar!

Eggs would do it too though, I'm going to try eating more eggs. I usually eat one egg with 2 extra egg whites... Omelet party!

Indian food doesn't agree with me either :o I don't like curry unless its done in a very specific way, and i'm intolerant to rice, and don't eat noodles... I'm going to fish for recipes...

dulce
April 17th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Since I've added natural almond butter daily and egg whites daily with more greens my hair has stopped it's slump and started growing again.Coincidence,not sure ..

Bopoluchi
April 18th, 2012, 01:53 AM
this link has a recipe for chachari which is supposed to be good for hair and scalp. i make something similar: saute black mustard seeds til they pop, add stacks of garlic and then add greens. serve with anchovies (mmmm... anchovies).
http://habmath.hubpages.com/hub/Natural-Homemade-shampoos

PolarCathy
April 18th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Pesticides, and it has a lot of sugar!

Mine has no added sugar whatsoever (99.3% peanuts and very little salt).

And the bottle says (per 100g): protein 25.6g, carbohydrates 16g, fat 48.9g. To me that's pretty impressive :)

DaniVerde
April 18th, 2012, 03:14 AM
I just bought some peanut butter thanks to this thread :p

Yum!

Fethenwen, I can recommend the peanut butter from Lidl...it has no added sugar :)

Lippytoes
April 18th, 2012, 03:29 AM
This thread is really inspiring healthy food -wise! :) Although now I'm hungry and it's still an hour till lunchtime...

swearnsue
April 18th, 2012, 01:59 PM
How about Reece's Peanut Butter Cups???? Those would contain alot of hair nourishing protein don't you think?

BrightEyes
April 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM
How about Reece's Peanut Butter Cups???? Those would contain alot of hair nourishing protein don't you think?

Mmmmm, yes LOL!!! That's my kind of peanut butter:D

leslissocool
April 18th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Mine has no added sugar whatsoever (99.3% peanuts and very little salt).

And the bottle says (per 100g): protein 25.6g, carbohydrates 16g, fat 48.9g. To me that's pretty impressive :)

2 tbs of mine (32g) has 9 grams of protein, 7g of carbs, and 2 grams of sugar. Ingredients are Organic roasted valencia peanuts, sea salt. So it's about the same as yours!

I was talking about the skippy peanut butter they sell at Walmart or Costco, it has way too much sugar! Real peanut butter made with peanuts and salt, nothing else.