PDA

View Full Version : Self trim for short hair?

Timkerbelle
December 19th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I have been a lurker on the LHC boards for ages now, but haven't posted anything before. Mainly because I don't really fit in with you long haired ladies (and gents!).

I hope what I'm asking hasn't been posted before ( I did a search but couldn't find an answer to my question).

I have super fine, super thin hair, which has actually improved a lot since reading some of the great tips here on the forums. Still.. it is thin. And short. In spite of this I am dying to grow it "long". Now "long" for me is probably "short" for most of you, but I would be happy with what I can get away with. Currently my hair is a bit longer than jaw length, and my goal - at least to begin with - is to get it down to shoulder length and completely even.

I am trying to grow out my last disastrous trip to the hair dresser, where I asked for a blunt cut and got short layers. Why do they do that? :( Thin hair doesn't look thicker when you cut half of it off!

Anyway. To get to the point I'm wondering if it's possible to cut your own hair when it's as short as mine? I have looked at Feye's self trim, and I'm not sure I can manage to do it when my hair is this short?

I would like to be able to cut my own hair to avoid a repeat of last time at the hair dresser.

bumblebums
December 19th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I first tried the self-trim when my hair was nearing arm pit length. In order to do a blunt line cut, you have to be able to pull the pony tail forward around your shoulder without moving the elastic holding it, and for me, that wouldn't happen at jaw length. (Can you even do a pony tail at that length?) Anyway, so I guess I wouldn't recommend it.

If I were you, I'd wear it up as much as possible, for up to 4 to 6 months, until it is long enough to cut yourself.

chrissy-b
December 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I've cut my own hair for years and plenty of times when it was jaw length. If there is a way to set up two mirrors so you can see the back of your head that's the easiest, but if not you simply trim a small amount off the back then look, trim some more, check again to be sure it's even. This is how I did it and it worked out well. The sides are easy because you can see them. After you're through, wait for it to dry and check again to be sure all the ends are even. If you want to have very slight layers so the bob curls under you make a pony on the top of your head and trim about a quarter inch to half an inch off and that will give you very gentle layers all around.

Hope that makes sense!

jaine
December 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Do you have a friend you could trust to trim it for you?
If not then how about a barber shop (for men)? I've read that they're very good at following instructions with a blunt cut, probably because they don't usually cut women's hair so they have no assumptions about what to do excpet what you tell them.

freckles
December 19th, 2010, 09:16 AM
welcome to LHC! :) you needn't feel you don't fit in around here just because your hair is (currently) short. We have short haired members who are growing out (you should pop into the super shorties thread :)) and we even have short haired members who aren't growing out, although not as many -- so I hope you stick around!

I don't think I could have cut my hair myself at that length, and I wouldn't recommend Feye's self trim until longer. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to go to the hairdresser's though -- do you have a friend, SO or relative who could help? My last trim my boyfriend did to me, and despite him never cutting hair before, if you have someone who you trust and who is able to cut straight lines and obey instructions, you're pretty much set. This is what I would recommend, until you've grown out long enough for Feye's instructions to work.

ETA: looks like jaine beat me to it :p

Becky Safari
December 19th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I agree that you should just let it grow grow grow until you can self trim.

patienceneeded
December 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM
My DH cuts his own (very short) hair, he has since he was 16. He uses mirrors (bathroom and a handheld) to make sure he gets it all even. I generally double check the back for him, but it's almost always evenly cut...I rarely have to point out an uneven spot. I would suggest having a friend or someone around and give it a try, use your mirrors and go slowly, trim only a little bit, and then have the friend check. If your hair is pretty healthy, you may not need a trim as often as you think, especially if you're growing it out. The only reason to trim short hair so often is if you're trying to maintain a shape and/or style.

Timkerbelle
December 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thank you for all the good suggestions! I think I'll keep my hair up for the time being and let it grow in peace! I'm not used to having it up all the time, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I might see about taking a very short bit off it when it's grown enough so that I can take some off and still keep it up.

I don't really have anyone I could ask to cut it. I may just keep it growing until I see my mum next (probably in or around April), she is good at cutting hair and will do what I ask her :)

A linked question to this - I use a "claw" to put my hair up in, will this damage my hair? It's not expensive, just Boots own brand (drugstore)

Thank you for making me feel welcomed!

jaine
December 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Thank you for all the good suggestions! I think I'll keep my hair up for the time being and let it grow in peace! I'm not used to having it up all the time, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I might see about taking a very short bit off it when it's grown enough so that I can take some off and still keep it up.

I don't really have anyone I could ask to cut it. I may just keep it growing until I see my mum next (probably in or around April), she is good at cutting hair and will do what I ask her :)

A linked question to this - I use a "claw" to put my hair up in, will this damage my hair? It's not expensive, just Boots own brand (drugstore)

I think it depends on the claw design. If it comes out of your hair without pinching or tugging individual hairs then I think it's ok. I had one that would pinch hairs when it's fully open so I gave it away to the thrift store, but I have a lot more that don't pinch.

bumblebums
December 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Good plan! Keep in mind that hair grows out unevenly, anyway, so you'll probably need a cut sooner or later regardless of what you do now. But wearing it up and not cutting it is by far the quickest way to grow it out.

I used a claw clip at your length all the time. Many longhairs use claw clips almost exclusively, especially if they have slippery hair that spits out hair sticks. So it shouldn't be an issue. One recommendation: I have found that plastic jewelry made in France is much better than other kinds. I don't know how they do it, but the quality is just so much higher. So that's something to keep an eye out for.

jojo
December 20th, 2010, 10:33 AM
If I was you and this is what I did, id ignore your hair for the time being and allow it to grow, set your next goal and being able to put it up in a pony without the use of clips. Your ends should be quite healthy with your hair being a short length (for now!). A lot of us need to trim our ends because our ends are years old and with weather, rubbing and age get ratty, yours doesn't need this just yet.

And please don't feel you dont belong because your hair isn't a certain length, this is a hair forum that ok focuses on longer lengths but the main issue is how to look after hair. You are at such a great place, every inch you grow shows with longer lengths it gets harder to see what you have grown, by March your hair will look completely different, hang in there and leave the trimming for now until its grown a bit more.

good luck and welcome to LHC, I look forward to reading more threads from you and seeing your progress. X

Longhairgrowing
January 30th, 2016, 03:35 AM
I was also curious at which length I could cut my own hair. I did it once when it was around SL, but it turned out into a disaster and had to go to the hairdresser with shame to get it fixed. Thanks for this thread. I shall wait until my hair is long enough.

lapushka
January 30th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Between APL & BSL, I think, in my case. Or, at least APL, yeah... I don't quite remember. But I've had my mom on standby, she does the cutting, as I'm not able to do it on my own. And to her it's just a matter of seconds.