PDA

View Full Version : Does my hair look greasy?

C. sinensis
December 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I've been using a combination of eggs and, more recently, yogurt to clean my hair. Mostly, I LOVE it--my hair feels incredibly soft and silky, and not greasy at all.

However...when my hair isn't combed really flat, it looks sort of..chunky, like it's sticking together from grease. Here's what it looks like, flipped forward for maximum chunk-i-ness:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6805&pictureid=90946

So. Does it look greasy? Not-greasy? Not-greasy-but-yuck? Have you had this problem? Any suggestion on how to fix it?

Thanks. :flowers:

ravenreed
December 18th, 2010, 11:40 PM
To me, that does look greasy. Any time my hair looks chunky or if I run a comb through it and the lines stay afterwards, I feel my hair is greasy and I try to remedy it.

C. sinensis
December 18th, 2010, 11:44 PM
That's what I thought. :-\

Thing is, it isn't greasy! Or at least, it sure doesn't feel like it...

christine1989
December 18th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Just near the top. Maybe you could clairify near the scalp every week or when it starts to look a bit oily.

ravenreed
December 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Since I started COing, my hair never feels quite as oil slick greasy as it used to, but it still looks oily. When I rub my fingers along the greasy area I get slight oily feeling, but nothing like it used to be.

Becky Safari
December 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM
You could try using a BBB to even things out, it works for me

caadam
December 18th, 2010, 11:58 PM
It does look greasy, yeah. :(
Clarify, I guess. -nods-
That's what I first thought of.

milagro
December 19th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Frankly it does. Second clarifying.

Dragon
December 19th, 2010, 12:38 AM
It does a bit.

jojo
December 19th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Yeah it does, I sya as the others clarify or do a ACV rinse

spidermom
December 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM
If not greasy, then some sort of buildup. Time for shampoo, I think. Dilute it if you don't like the effects of shampoo, although if it's a lot of buildup, diluted may not work.

BeccaAngel
December 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
looks a little oily but its really not that bad

triumphator!
December 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Perhaps a little dry shampoo would help? You can make your own too out of baking soda and cocoa power or something like that. I'd look it up before you take those ingredients as fact though! :)

Anje
December 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, frankly it does look greasy near the scalp. I usually wash mine when it's near that point. Maybe you need something a bit more cleansing for your scalp? Or more frequent washes?

FWIW, I get greasier in the winter, so I have to adjust my routine seasonally. You might be similar.

Avital88
December 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Yep it does. Good luck!

C. sinensis
December 22nd, 2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the tips. :)

What do you use for clarifying? ACV?

GRU
December 22nd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the tips. :)

What do you use for clarifying? ACV?

ACV won't remove buildup -- for that you need some sort of cleanser.

Any typical shampoo will work, you don't need a special "clarifying" type.

C. sinensis
December 22nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
ACV won't remove buildup -- for that you need some sort of cleanser.

Any typical shampoo will work, you don't need a special "clarifying" type.

Thanks! I tried a little diluted castile soap last night, and it seemed to help somewhat. I guess I'll just have to play the French braid game until I get all sorted out. :D

GRU
December 22nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks! I tried a little diluted castile soap last night, and it seemed to help somewhat. I guess I'll just have to play the French braid game until I get all sorted out. :D

Did you follow up with an acidic rinse of some sort?

clichepithet
December 22nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Yes, greasy. But not nasty. Have you considered a scalp-only wash? There are a variety of methods; since I'm lazy, I tend to wait until the last of my shower, look down, hold up the length wrapped in my fist and use a pointed tip bottle to distribute diluted shampoo into my scalp area. Kinda pat it around and rinse with a jug of water (still looking down). Then continue as usual with any conditioners. Sometimes I keep the length in a bag, when I'm not being lazy and want to keep it (length) dry.

FullMoonTrim
December 22nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Try using an orris root powder dry shampoo--that will take care of it in a second! :)

C. sinensis
December 22nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Did you follow up with an acidic rinse of some sort?

Yup!

clichepithet and FullMoonTrim-- thanks for the tips! :D