PDA

View Full Version : Two-toned hair :(

Sophiawavyhair
December 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
About a year ago I decided to grow out bleach. I dyed all my hair black (it is my natural color) so it would match my roots once it started growing, and that was the last time I dyed it. Its been a year and the black dye has faded, leaving me with brassy red undertones, and the bleach is starting to show :( My hair looks half black (natural color) and half brown/red/blonde :confused:

What should I do? I tried Rainbow henna black color and it faded, plus I dont even know the ingredients, so I dont want to use it again.

I am not ready to get a major chop, I am only doing monthly microtrims.

Indigo fades fast, and it has to be used over henna, so when indigo fades I am left with the red color again.

Should I try a semipermanent hair dye!? *sigh*. My hair is so damaged from all the chemicals that this would be my last resort.

Any suggestions would be aprecciated... Ty for reading :)

LocustSpawning
December 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
If you've bleached your hair, no matter what you dye over it, even the blackest black hair dye, it will always show through when it fades, all you can do it keep dying it. Believe me, I've been chemically dying my hair black for 5 years and the bleach STILL comes through. I regret ever doing it :(

Sophiawavyhair
December 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
If you've bleached your hair, no matter what you dye over it, even the blackest black hair dye, it will always show through when it fades, all you can do it keep dying it. Believe me, I've been chemically dying my hair black for 5 years and the bleach STILL comes through. I regret ever doing it :(

It was my attempt to go blonde, but it would only turn yellow, I thought after a couple of bleach sessions my hair would be blonde! Nop! Yellow with white dots and split ends!

I didnt know bleach always come through. So What kind of hair dye do you use?

LocustSpawning
December 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I used the chemical Live XXL Cosmic Blue (very dark, the blue tint means it's harder to get out than average black), and that's a waterproof dye, and it still fades to a browny red in some places quite easily :(

Unofficial_Rose
December 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
You might want to try a vegetable colour like Manic Panic in Raven: http://www.manicpanic.com/besthaircolor/raven.html to cover up the bleached parts and match your natural colour without peroxide etc.

I think it has to be redone every month or so, but at least it's not damaging.

spidermom
December 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I agree with a deposit-only dye that you'll have to re-do from time to time. Also wear your hair braided and/or put up a lot. Eventually you will have all the bleached bits trimmed off. I know it doesn't seem like it when you're waiting for something, but time goes by so fast.

Sophiawavyhair
December 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
You might want to try a vegetable colour like Manic Panic in Raven: http://www.manicpanic.com/besthaircolor/raven.html to cover up the bleached parts and match your natural colour without peroxide etc.

Manic panic sounds like a good idea, maybe I could just use it on the bleached part of my hair. I did see it in Sallys last time I wen there, I thought it was permanent, I dont know much about it. I read about someone who used it wih conditioner and got great results!!

angelthadiva
December 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM
:waving: my hair is salt, pepper and paprika :D I can't echo enough what SM said to do. I wear it up all the time and it is really not noticeable to anyone else but me unless I have it down. Occasionally I will wear it in a braid, and honestly it looks kinda cool seeing the color contrast.

If you really want virgin hair I don't know if I would go back to coloring, you've already abstained for a year. I'd invoke the 2 week rule and see how you feel after wearing your hair up. :flower:

xoxophelia
December 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I agree with manic panic through the previously colored part only. Then to add to that shampooing less often or with a more gentle shampoo (or CO method). That will make it so the color doesn't fade as quickly :)

KittyLost
December 18th, 2010, 07:19 PM

I think this is great advice, it's a veggie dye and not damaging to your haiemr, it can be quite conditioning by itself even without conditioner. It will stick quite well to your bleached hair as thats what they were made to go over and it will wash out eventually, faster on your virgin hair. It also sticks to damaged hair.

I hope it works well for you if you decide to give it a go, shampoo-ing with an SLS free shampoo will also help prolong colour.

jesis
December 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I had the bottom half of my hair bleached for six months. My hair stylist was regularly dying it every four weeks, but it got to be way too expensive, so I tried to color it back close to my original color. It faded within a few washes, so I went and had my hair stylist do it. She used a filler and I have had the color since September and it hasn't faded yet. I would definitely say if you can't deal with it then go talk to a professional, although I am also going dye-free so I know how hard that might be. Good luck with whatever you decide.

joiekimochi
December 18th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I am in the same boat as you. *holds your hand*

Sophiawavyhair
December 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM
The two week rule sounds like a great idea! Is there a manic panic thread here that you can direct me to? Also what would be the easiest method to color the bleached part only? (Chin to APL) ... I have a LOT of trouble getting a " scalp wash only" work for me, imagine dye!

Jesis, I actually met a hairdresser a couple of months ago, she always does exactly what I want, shes is the one doing the microtrims. Maybe I can trust her, hairstylists are scary! Seems like they speak a different language lol

BeccaAngel
December 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
i agree with some of this advice, growing out your natural colour and trimming the bleached ends. it might take a while but its a good idea

Sophiawavyhair
December 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I am in the same boat as you. *holds your hand*

:p awwww ...

Its nice to know we are not alone huh!? :)

Sophiawavyhair
December 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM
i agree with some of this advice, growing out your natural colour and trimming the bleached ends. it might take a while but its a good idea

I know I know .... Its just that the dark color *hides* the damage, so while I am cutting the ends little by little, it doesnt look as bad. I have been wearing my hair up a lot, but I love my hair down. My round face doesnt help the updos lol :-p