PDA

View Full Version : A year with LHC! + pics

sibiryachka
December 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Well, technically a year and 2 days - I'm vain enough that I didn't want to post until I had photos worth bothering with :p So without further ado:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af334/polyglot26/tests/Hair/DSCN5131-1.jpg

Please to disregard the alien-abduction-looking lighting in the right-hand photo... The one on the left is from February, the first progress pics I took. Not a big increase in overall length - I've gone from 27" to 30" - but you can see how the sides are catching up with the back, thanks to no trims in 2010. You can also see those few, longest hairs peeking out the bottom... Of course those are the ones at 30", and they are outta here in January when I will be trying my first self-trim.

On the whole, despite only 3 inches of growth, I'm very satisfied with this year's progress. We're in a little bit of an awkward stage: Massive shed over the summer meant I lost a lot of thickness in the length, but tons of new growth kept my ponytail circumference from decreasing. All that new growth, plus years of old layers, gives me terrible dandelion-head, but there's nothing to do about that but wear scarves and ride it out, and daydream about the smooth, thick braids I'll have someday.

The obligatory I'd-like-to-thank-the-Academy portion:

I couldn't have done it without you, gang. Seriously. Special shoutout to ktani and everyone participating in the "Hair care of movie stars from the past" thread for sharing info on adding coconut oil to shampoo. If you'd told me a year ago that I'd be intentionally putting oil on my scalp, for pete's sake, every time I washed, I'd have laughed you out of the room. Time will tell whether I'm right, but my intuition tells me that a year of this technique should yield some truly dramatic results. Heck, I'm getting dramatic results already - that second photo from yesterday was taken as soon as it was dry from washing, and combed out. No product, no bun waves, no nothin' - just freshly washed hair, shining and behaving like I couldn't have imagined. :magic:

And that's not to mention all the guidance along my henna journey! Which is how I stumbled across LHC in the first place...

My skin is happier too, thanks to everything I've learned here. I now concoct my own cold cream, moisturizer and body lotions and creams. I may be broke as a joke, but by george the products I use are so luxurious and customized, if they were available in stores, no way would I ever pay what they'd charge for them! Not to mention that it's given me a whole new category of things I can make for gifts...Mom, sister and friends are making out like bandits :D

If I had to sum up in one word what LHC does for me, it would have to be "empowerment". I'm the one in charge now - what gets used on my skin and hair, how much gets trimmed off, all that. If I have questions or concerns, there's this vast wealth of experience I can consult, and the answers I get will have nothing to do with anyone's profit motive - just the facts, ma'am! For a lifelong do-it-yourselfer like me, this is like finally returning to the home planet.

And that's just the benefits to my hair, skin and wallet... There's also the benefit to my psyche. You all know how hard you rock, right? This has been probably the most difficult, loss-riddled year of my life, and I can't begin to express how much I appreciate the atmosphere of camaraderie and support and lovingkindness. It's a rare day that I don't gain a nugget or two of encouragement here; even when it's directed at someone else, it might be something I really needed to hear that day, or just a good laugh. In gratitude for that, I bow deeply to you all.

I could go on all day, but you have other things to do, and so do I... My hair loves you and thanks you, and I love you and thank you. That about sums it up.

Avvoltoio
December 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM
you have gorgeous hair, and good grow rate :), keep it growing!

cuppycake
December 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Oh coconut oil in shampoo? Sounds like something I could really benefit from! How much? Does it matter what kind of shampoo?

Your hair looks amazing! I can't believe you have no products in your hair on that 2nd picture. Just beautiful!

little_acorn
December 18th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Super shiny gorgeous hair :D

Felix_D
December 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I really appreciate when people take the time to do nice photos rather than the webcam style. Looks gorgeous, hope to be where you are some day!

princessp
December 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Wow, you hair looks so beautiful and healthy congratulations! I am going to have to try that coconut shampoo, I'm very intrigued.

CurlyTresses
December 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Wow, you hair looks so beautiful and healthy congratulations! I am going to have to try that coconut shampoo, I'm very intrigued.

:cheer:Happy Anniversary!! Your hair looks beautiful and I can definitely see the growth results. :)

I agree, this place is a Great Wealth of information ~~ I'm also very thankful.:)

kabelaced
December 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Beautiful beautiful shiny hair! Now I really want to try that coconut shampoo. :p

Thank you for sharing with us, sibiryachka! It has been so wonderful getting to know you, and your posts are always very thoughtful. :heart:

Becky Safari
December 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Wow what a difference, I love the color in the after!

Yozhik
December 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Oh, Sibiryachka, Happy Anniversary!!!

Your progress photos look wonderful -- I love the thickness, the color, and the shine of your "now" hair! Better quality than quantity, right? And you sure have a lot of the former! I'm also going to try out self-trimming come 2011.

It's been great to get to know you this past year and have your support and encouragement! You're the best. :)

Nice guru title, too. :)

serious
December 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Beautiful, beautiful hair, so shiny! :cheese:

thatjengirl1
December 19th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Wow so pretty! great progress! henna suits you so well

and haha "Please to disregard the alien-abduction-looking lighting in the right-hand photo"
:cheese:

GreyArea
December 25th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Happy anniversary!
It's so shiny!

Roscata
December 25th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Beautiful hair. I love your progress. Thank you for sharing your story! :D

I've been meaning to try out the movie star shampoo myself, one of these days haha.

naushin83
December 25th, 2010, 06:51 AM
absolutely gorgeous hair u hav :)

triumphator!
December 25th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Your hair is so pretty... the color! It's gorgeous!!

mrs_b
December 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I am really impressed. your hair looks so shiny, rich and gorgeous! :thumbsup:

lesbia
December 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM
so shining! you had a great progress, the difference is so big!

Henrietta
December 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Happy anniversary! :) You have beautiful hair, so shiny!

Rini
December 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Wow, awesome hair and really well written post too :D I'm so glad the MS shampoo is working out for you, you've inspired me to keep trying (despite my poor results with that so far) Your hair is soooo gorgeous and shiny, I figure if I get half of that I'll be happy.

kattygf
December 25th, 2010, 02:01 PM
much much much more shiny!