PDA

View Full Version : Last inch always feels damaged

SpeakingEZ
December 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
No matter how well I treat my hair after trimming, no matter how much I oil or how religiously I bun, the last inch of my hair always feels nasty. Velcro-y. Crunchy. Even after I clarify.

It feels fantastic at the ends right after I trim, it feels nice to be able to run my hand through it and not get it caught at the bottom. Then all the sudden, about a week or two afterward, bam!

Can anyone relate? Is there anything you would suggest that I'm not already doing?

spidermom
December 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Are you wearing your hair up? If you are, it could be kinked ends from bunning. If you're not, it could be friction damage. Sometimes it seems that if it's not one thing, it's another.

Lemur_Catta
December 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I have this too. In my case, it is because my hair has been damaged by a lot of chemical treatments, so the last 10 inches at least are damaged, thus trimming doesn't eliminate the damage. It shows up again, my hair splits again because the shaft is weakened. Maybe it could be the same for your hair. Was it very damaged when you started babying it?

Alvrodul
December 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM
That really sounds like my hair! It has been years since I gave up on coloring my hair, but the damage remains. Most of it is fortunately grown out by now.

There is also probably some other damage which, while considerably less bad, still probably contributes to the problem: Mechanical damage from bad combs and brushes. I threw away all my old combs and my bad brushes after I discovered LHC and instead invested in a variety of seamless combs.

chelseamichelle
December 18th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I have this too, but in my case it has to do with damage from my pre-LHC days. I used to dye and heat style my hair constantly and so the last 26 inches are damaged.. It doesn't matter if I trim because I'm just cutting into damaged hair so it ends up just as crunchy, only shorter. The only thing that temporarily fixes it is an EVOO soak.

SpeakingEZ
December 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Yes, it was extremely heat-damaged when I started this time last year. I've since cut off roughly 10 inches. Maybe you're right and my damage might go up further than it's revealing itself now, and the last inch is just vulnerable to its effects. It won't be all gone until another 15 inches (about) is gone . . . or 5-10 and I layer my hair, which is not going to happen.

I bun half the time and I let it loose half the time (only at home when it's relatively safe). Oh, Spidermom, it's probably both, lol!

It's comforting to know I'm not alone, though I wish it to stop for all of you, too.