PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with the Dutch braid with my layered hair!!

bunzfan
December 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I don't give up easily and i have been trying for months to master the Dutch braid on my layered just past BSL hair, i have no problems until i get to the nape of my hair no matter how much tension i use or if i braid down my back or over my shoulder it twists slightly from the nape onwards. Dose anyone else have this problem? i also find the some strand come out because of my layers anyone else have this annoying problem.

This is what it sort of looks like please note this was a first attempt

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/th_P101106008-1.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/?action=view&current=P101106008-1.jpg)

I really want to figure this braid out as it makes my hair look nice and thick :)

Lemur_Catta
December 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I have face framing layers, and when I Dutch braid my hair I usually bobby pin them down, hiding the pin under the braid.
The trick I use not to get a twisted braid (which I use also with English and French braids) is to braid as far down as possible without bringing the braid over my shoulder, then when I bring it forward I do without twisting at all. You need to braid a bit more to to that. When you have the braid over your shoulder, you braid like it was a regular English braid, I mean bringing the strands over instead of under like the dutch braid, because you are braiding "from behind", if you understand what I mean. It's quite difficult to show without pictures though :D

ooo
December 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
When you have the braid over your shoulder, you braid like it was a regular English braid, I mean bringing the strands over instead of under like the dutch braid, because you are braiding "from behind", if you understand what I mean. It's quite difficult to show without pictures though :D

Wow, you're clever! I never thought of that. I'll try it next time.

bunzfan
December 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I have face framing layers, and when I Dutch braid my hair I usually bobby pin them down, hiding the pin under the braid.
The trick I use not to get a twisted braid (which I use also with English and French braids) is to braid as far down as possible without bringing the braid over my shoulder, then when I bring it forward I do without twisting at all. You need to braid a bit more to to that. When you have the braid over your shoulder, you braid like it was a regular English braid, I mean bringing the strands over instead of under like the dutch braid, because you are braiding "from behind", if you understand what I mean. It's quite difficult to show without pictures though :D

I had considered pining it down where it normally twists but i hate not being able to do something properly lol.
As for the braiding over the shoulder i had actually wondered that myself i have problems braiding over and under being left handed (i mean copying over people) but thanks for clearing that up. I still have to braid with slightly damp hair otherwise my layers stick out

I found out last night that if i braid twin Dutch braids i don't have this problem maybe the layers make it to bulky in the nape or something and if i put them up it looks really pretty :)

eezepeeze
December 18th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I think putting it over your shoulder to braid is what's causing the twisting. Try this: when you get to the nape, braid down as far as you can, then, without changing the hand position, keep braiding as you lift the braid over your HEAD so you can reach the end. This will help you maintain a straight line of braiding, without the twisting of going over the shoulder. That's how I finish most of my braids, rather than over the shoulder, because over the shoulder I have to change hand positions and the braiding is a mirror-image and I get confused. Try the over the head thing and see if it helps.

As for pieces sticking out...well, bobby pins will be your friend until your layers grow out long enough to fit into the ponytail holder at the end of the braid.

Good luck and keep braiding! One day you will just "get it" :-)

bunzfan
December 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I think putting it over your shoulder to braid is what's causing the twisting. Try this: when you get to the nape, braid down as far as you can, then, without changing the hand position, keep braiding as you lift the braid over your HEAD so you can reach the end. This will help you maintain a straight line of braiding, without the twisting of going over the shoulder. That's how I finish most of my braids, rather than over the shoulder, because over the shoulder I have to change hand positions and the braiding is a mirror-image and I get confused. Try the over the head thing and see if it helps.

As for pieces sticking out...well, bobby pins will be your friend until your layers grow out long enough to fit into the ponytail holder at the end of the braid.

Good luck and keep braiding! One day you will just "get it" :-)

Thanks for the tips and encouragement i found last night if i put oil in my length 1)my hair lies flatter and 2) the layers don't stick out and of course its great for adding moisture.

spidermom
December 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Like eezepeeze suggests, lift the braid to finish rather than pulling over a shoulder. But be very careful not to pull against the nape of the neck when you lift because it will create a bulge when the braid is hanging down.

My hair isn't layered, but my braids never stay neat because newer, shorter hairs poke out all over the place. There are thousands of them!