PDA

View Full Version : Recs for Braided Buns that sit high?

UrbanEast
December 18th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I really like braided buns and I like buns that are high. I figured out how to do a flipped braided cinnabun which looks really good on me. Does anyone have other recs for braided buns that tends to sit "higher" (versus ones like the Nautilus which lie closer to the nape)?

Thanks in advance--and thanks for your hints on the braided cinnabun earlier!

misstwist
December 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Well, if you are starting a braided bun from a ponytail you can put that anyplace you want for a braided bun.

It looks like you are long enough to do a coronet braid, maybe that would satisfy the high braided bun want.

Madora
December 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
You can achieve a high braided bun by:

1) making a part from the top of one ear to the top of the other.

Comb out the hair so there's no tangles, then braid to the ends. Pin out of the way

2) Comb out and braid the rest of the hair.

3) Coil the top braid in a circle, pinning as you go.

4) Take the remaining braid and coil around the braid
already in place.

Special note: The bottom braid should be braided loosely at the beginning. This is so you have enough slack which will enable you to pin the braid around the braid already in place.

It's hard to explain but it works. It also might help if you bent your head down while braiding the bottom braid.

The point is, the closer you can start the bottom braid to where the first braid already pinned, the nicer the result will be.

MissManda
December 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Another way you could do a high braided bun is by starting out with a Dianyla-style English braid (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=23652). It is a great technique because you don't have to start out with a ponytail if you're concerned with any damage from hair elastics. :) If your hair is thick, it might be a better idea to use the ponytail technique and making two braids instead of one big one.

Hope that helps! :flower:

BunnyBee
December 18th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Another way you could do a high braided bun is by starting out with a Dianyla-style English braid (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=23652). It is a great technique because you don't have to start out with a ponytail if you're concerned with any damage from hair elastics. :) If your hair is thick, it might be a better idea to use the ponytail technique and making two braids instead of one big one.

Wish I could see the pictures in that post. Guess I'd need to log in to the old board =/

MissManda
December 18th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Wish I could see the pictures in that post. Guess I'd need to log in to the old board =/

Unfortunately, I couldn't see the pictures either and there's no way I can log in to the old boards. The pictures were there about a month or so ago, so I don't know what happened to them. :( The pictures were very helpful, too.

misstwist
December 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Huh, I clicked on it and went right there.

Doesn't TorrinPaige have a video on that braid?

BeccaAngel
December 18th, 2010, 08:14 PM
One of these days my hair will be long enough to do something like that, have fun with it

MissManda
December 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Huh, I clicked on it and went right there.

Doesn't TorrinPaige have a video on that braid?

Not quite, but the technique is very similar. :) The difference between the braid in Dianyla's tutorial and the braid that Torrin does is whether or not there is a part and how the hair is divided into three sections.

I don't know how the "Faux French Braid" does with braided buns because I prefer to have a braid without a part, but it probably doesn't make a difference. I'm still at the point where my braided "bun" looks like a sad little blob, so I don't know how well it starting out with a "Dianyla" braid works. I'll have to wait until my hair gets to hip or tailbone before I can accomplish a braided bun with a single braid.

Oh, and someone already mentioned a similar technique, but I thought I'd post a link to the braided beehive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEdMa1HvQmA) updo. :)

UrbanEast
December 18th, 2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks, this is great!

But the pictures on it seem to be missing. I logged in to the archived board but the photos didn't show up. I did the part and then did a standard English braid which ended up higher, but I don't think I did what Diana was describing. Is there any pay to see the pictures?