PDA

View Full Version : CO and Blowdrying

Bellatrix
December 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Does anyone do both these things? How does it work for you?

For some reason I have a kind of mental block to it, like CO hair needs to be air dried for some reason.

Does it help with any dryness from the blow dryer?
:)

1hunky5monkeys
December 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Using a hair dryer makes my hair very frizzy-even if I use it on the lowest heat setting and hold the cool shot button down the whole time. I can, however, lie on the floor with my hair over the central vent and it doesn't frizz at all! I'm not sure why this is? Maybe because the air barely blows out of the vent so it works more like a diffuser. :shrug: And the air is hardly warm.

milagro
December 17th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I try to avoid blow drying as much as possible and only do it on special occasions :) It sucks moisture out of hair and so can be diminishing the benefit of CO. I guess it is not so crucial for non-porous hair.

caadam
December 17th, 2010, 11:53 PM
My hair gets frizzy in general with blow dryers.
I literally just started CO-washing, but I don't
think it would be a good idea for me to try to
blow dry my hair.

luxepiggy
December 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Me (^(oo)^)/"

I always blow dried before CO, and I continue to blow dry with CO. What can I say? I am addicted to the Cold Shot . . . the shine on my hair isn't from air drying, that's for sure! (^(oo)^)

ravenreed
December 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I have never been one to reach for the blow dryer, even before finding LHC. My hair is less frizzy since starting CO, and on the rare occasion I do need to blow dry my hair for something, it makes it frizzy again, so I try to avoid it unless I am trying to set a look or in a huge hurry for a major event.

With blow drying, no matter the cleansing method, I think the damage really comes from using it on too hot a setting and focusing the heat in one spot too long.

soapstone
December 19th, 2010, 10:30 AM
My hair is far more frizzy without blowdryer.
It is a must.

virgo75
December 19th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Does anyone do both these things? How does it work for you?

For some reason I have a kind of mental block to it, like CO hair needs to be air dried for some reason.

Does it help with any dryness from the blow dryer?
:)

CO hair might seem to need air drying because when you blowdry it's better to use some sort of heat protectant - most of which contain cones. If you CO it may not get the cones out of your hair.

If you can find a cone-free heat protectant, I would say go for it and see if it works for you. I wouldn't blow dry without a protectant though.

Hope that helps. :flower:

myrrhmaiden
December 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I do it a lot lately. I use the cool setting almost exclusively. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I use the hot setting on the roots. I only ever "mostly dry" it though. If I go from wet to completely dry it does frizz it out a bit. I would prefer to air-dry, but it's winter and I can't go around with wet hair for hours. I'm looking forward to summer when I can air-dry again. I tell myself the CO washes and cool setting are negating some of the damage.

triumphator!
December 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Ooo I'm glad you started this thread! I've been considering using the blowdryer because it's been SO SO COLD here and I'd rather my hair be a little frizzy and dry than wet and frozen. Apparently it's easy for hair to break when it freezes from being wet outside and it also makes me catch a headcold faster.

I'd hate to negate the benefts of COing, though :/

Becky Safari
December 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Blow driers make my hair a frizzball too, I think it's because it blows the cuticle upward no matter what angle you blow dry. Air drying is best for me, but with these cold winters I don't know what to do so I've been taking night showers so I don't go out in the morning cold with a wet head...

monsterna
December 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I use the blow dryer whenever I have to go to work (which is all week :D) and on the weekends if I am going somewhere, as well. I have to... besides the fact that my hair is at a semi-awkward stage, my hair is also pretty thin and looks very lank and wavy in weird places when it air dries. And then there are my bangs... T_T.

I started CO about a week ago, and I love it. In general my hair is less frizzy, even with the hair dryer. I usually, even before LHC, just comb my hair into place after I shower and do my makeup stuff while I wait for it to air dry just a little. I can't go for too long because if I let bits completely air dry, it screws up the style for that day. So anyway, I then use the warm or cool setting on my hair dryer. I use heat protectant too. I think the thing more damaging about hair dryers isn't the heat, it's how it whips your hair all over the place.

If you have one of those heads to use on the dryer that concentrates the air flow on one area and not all over the place, then that is better for preventing more tangles. In regards to the temperature, I think the warmest you'd want to go will be the warmest heat your hand can take without moving it away from the air flow. If your skin can't take it, then your hair shouldn't.

Also, you could try putting a little coconut oil on the ends or the rest of the length so that they aren't so dry after you blow dry.