PDA

View Full Version : A Hair Epiphany...Oh, and Two Questions!

Kaya
December 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hello eveyone! So, I've been combing through all the threads on this lovely community and finding so much information! It's been kinda overwhelming actually. And I started to think about my hair care routine and what I could do to improve it and worrying about finding better shampoos and conditioners, trying to decide if I should go all organic/cone-free, paranoid about hair breakage and damaging hairstyles...etc. :confused:
And then it hit me. I'm more than willing to change some things about my hair care, but I'm also not going to get overly stressed about changing every little thing. I figure, my hair is pretty healthy right now, so I must have been doing something right up to this point. So, I think I'll stick to what I have been doing all along. I'll dabble with experimentation every now and then, but for the most part, I'll keep to what has worked for me, with the addition to some new healthier habits. Big weight off the shoulders! :cheese:
Ok, onto the questions!

One, V05. It seems like a very popular, inexpensive conditioner that a number of longhairs (if I may be so privileged to call them thus) use. Does it have cones in it? I read the ingredients list, and didn't see anything jump out at me, but I am a newbie, so something may have gotten past me. :shrug:

The other question has to do with shedding. I shower everyday, and have more or less switched to CO and CWC. I wear mt hair in braids mostly, though I want to start wearing buns. Anyways, I tend not to comb my hair out until right before showering and so when I'm doing my hair in the shower, I tend to shed quite a bit. Is it normal to have your 'daily shed' happen all at one time? I do tend to gently massage my scalp while I wash. I can tell the hairs are shedding, and not breaking. I can see the tiny little follicle bulb on the end.

Oz
December 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
HEY welcome keya. glad you like the site. I avoid products from big brands becuase they are most likley tested on animals... and hairs not worth it.. think of the bunnies!

buns can be very fun. awkward if you try to wear a hat though.
what styles did you find where damaging? other than heating and ratting wich are an obvious ones.

sorry i dont have answers, just questions.

Kaijah
December 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hello! :cheese: Welcome, have some cheese.

Your idea actually sounds perfect to me. I wouldn't really worry about changing your products around a lot, unless there's a specific issue you think one might be causing. And even then... only one thing at a time.

As for the V05, I think it depends. In the USA, they are all 'cone free, but I seem to remember some people in other countries saying they were 'coney.

Your shedding sounds just like mine. You are shedding gradually over the course of the day, but since your hair is braided/bunned the whole time, the hairs don't actually fall all the way out. So, the only time they have a chance to escape is in the shower (or whenever you take your hair all the way down and comb).

Kaya
December 17th, 2010, 07:43 PM
HEY welcome keya. glad you like the site. I avoid products from big brands becuase they are most likley tested on animals... and hairs not worth it.. think of the bunnies!

buns can be very fun. awkward if you try to wear a hat though.
what styles did you find where damaging? other than heating and ratting wich are an obvious ones.

sorry i dont have answers, just questions.

I hope I'm doing this right. First time to respond to a post! :)
Anyways, I used to be pretty harsh with my hairstyles. Very tight buns and ponytails. (Had to abide by military regs.) So tight I would get headaches. Not to mention I would tighten my ponies by splitting the tail and pulling as hard as I could. I used to think tighter was better.
I would also vigorously brush my hair without detangling it with a comb, wear it in a pony for sleeping, and a few other not so glamorous hair habits.
Needless to say, my poor hair has come through very well for me considering all that I've done to it! :gabigrin:

Kaya
December 17th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hello! :cheese: Welcome, have some cheese.

Your idea actually sounds perfect to me. I wouldn't really worry about changing your products around a lot, unless there's a specific issue you think one might be causing. And even then... only one thing at a time.

As for the V05, I think it depends. In the USA, they are all 'cone free, but I seem to remember some people in other countries saying they were 'coney.

Your shedding sounds just like mine. You are shedding gradually over the course of the day, but since your hair is braided/bunned the whole time, the hairs don't actually fall all the way out. So, the only time they have a chance to escape is in the shower (or whenever you take your hair all the way down and comb).

Thank you! I will indeed take some cheese! :gobblecheese:
Oh, that is reassuring about the shedding. I just wanted to make sure that it was normal to have one mass daily shed event.