PDA

View Full Version : I'm a trimmer and I'll be moving...no clue what to do

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm probably jumping the gun a bit on this, but I keep thinking about it and I'm just not sure what to do.

In right about a year my family has decided to move. The house will be paid off and the boy child graduates from high school. We've decided to move close to Portland Oregon, probably moreso the south Washington area for my son.

I have this awesome stylist, she always does exactly what I ask, I've been seeing her for 8 years now.

Currently I get my hair trimmed in January and again in July. But by the time we move I should be getting it trimmed more often. My plan is to get to my tail bone wavy, then trim, trim, trim until my layers are caught up. I should be to tail bone by the end of the year if not sooner. That means that within about 2 months of moving 300 miles away I'll need a trim. That thought just terrifies me. I've always been at the other end of a stylists idea of what my hair should be until I moved here and found Kathy. I will throttle someone if they cut too much off my hair.

My husband thinks I'm being silly, but they cut the hair in the back, I won't be able to see what they are doing until it's too late! He is afraid to trim it, and I'm horribly afraid to trim it myself. I have to find a new stylist and I don't wanna!

Saranne772
June 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Ouch!!! Are there any LHCers in your new area? If so ask them for recommendations?

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Ouch!!! Are there any LHCers in your new area? If so ask them for recommendations?
hahaha I know Airmide is there, and she trims her own - if mine was the length of her gorgeous hair I wouldn't hesitate trimming it either since it'd be easier to bring around the front.

That is a wonderful idea, I'll have to keep my eyes open for LHCers in the area.

basak
June 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Have you ever tried trimming? It's really not that big of a deal-just try if you can get a hold of the ponytail "tassle", then the next step is just cut at a 90 degree angle with the direction that hair comes.

FrannyG
June 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Euphony, I truly understand your apprehension about cutting your own hair, but I have to say that I've been really surprised at my success with Feye's Self Trimming Method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). I have never been good with scissors, but I've been using this method for 2 years and I find it foolproof-even for me. With me, it's even worse, because my hair is so straight, fine and thin that every little error in cutting shows up.

However, I happily give myself 1/2 inch trims ever couple of months and I've never had a problem.

I highly recommend that you give this method a try. Even if you start with just a 1/4 inch trim, to get the hang of it, I think you'll see that it's totally doable.

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Have you ever tried trimming? It's really not that big of a deal-just try if you can get a hold of the ponytail "tassle", then the next step is just cut at a 90 degree angle with the direction that hair comes.
I haven't tried...it seriously scares me. If I mess it up, I'll be so ticked! I've thought more and more about it lately, the good news is that my hair is wavy so if it's crooked it's not as noticeable :p

I've heard of that ponytail trim before, but don't know much about it. Do you know where directions are for it? Do you do it?

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Franny your hair does look really good, especially with yours being so straight there is so much less room for error. You do a wonderful job...that gives me hope. I gotta say, it would be so nice not to have to rely on someone to trim my hair.

Delenn
June 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I haven't tried...it seriously scares me. If I mess it up, I'll be so ticked! I've thought more and more about it lately, the good news is that my hair is wavy so if it's crooked it's not as noticeable :p

I've heard of that ponytail trim before, but don't know much about it. Do you know where directions are for it? Do you do it?

It's not bad! I was scared to do it but now I don't even think about it. Cut in baby steps, no need to attack it like you're going through an overgrown jungle. Just nice, gentle trimming. :)

frizzinator
June 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM
It's very doubtful you would mess it up if you trim it using Fey's method. Many of us think it is too difficult. Folks with great looking hemlines told me to try it, but I was afraid. When I finally got past my fear, I trimmed several times before it really felt comfortable. It is so easy, and there is nothing to fear. I never messed it up, my hemline looked great every time I trimmed it, and I wish I had tried it sooner.

MemSahib
June 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I've used Feye's Method for at least 3 years now. Once in a while it's not totally straight but my husband is willing to give it a single snip (that's all it's ever taken) to straighten it up. It's really super easy, Euphony. I think you can do this!

doodlesmart
June 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I live south of where you will be moving and will likely be going to Monroe/Snohomish area from here pretty often as we will soon (hopefully) have a house up there. Want rides? :p

ETA: Also, I wouldn't mind meeting this miracle stylist of yours.

wintersun99
June 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I live south of where you will be moving and will likely be going to Monroe/Snohomish area from here pretty often as we will soon (hopefully) have a house up there. Want rides? :p

ETA: Also, I wouldn't mind meeting this miracle stylist of yours.
hahaha I'm still a bit further north (Bellingham) but you gotta come up here to meet Kathy sometime. I'm sure she'd love to play with your hair too! She's awesome, she teases me that I get so little trimmed, but she always does exactly what I ask.

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
In the menatime - you've got a year! Don't worry about it so much:D

p.s. This gives you time to practice Feye's Trimming Method very slowly and gently and timidly and...well, ya know...
I know, I know :D For some reason I always worry about something really far in advance. But in a way that's good too, then I'm not scrambling at the last minute.

doodlesmart
June 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hmmm, I definitely should. I could use a trim before the wedding. PMming you...

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hmmm, I definitely should. I could use a trim before the wedding. PMming you...
HA I got the pm before I saw this :D

spidermom
June 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Just to let you know that self-trim is not idiot proof: I end up with a slant from left to right. (so what does that tell you about me? oh dear!)

spidermom
June 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Doodlesmart and Euphony: I have a fabulous stylist in Everett. Maskedrose came up from Seattle for a trim with DD and me last Saturday, and she was happy with it. We're going to do it again in Sept/Oct. Come up! We should have a trim party!

julya
June 4th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I used the self trim method with some success, it wound up a bit like yours Spidermom, with one side longer that the other. Since I don't really wear my hair down, it doesn't seem to matter too much to me.

jojo
June 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I was just going to suggest the same thing a "trim meet" with those living near you.

Islandgrrl
June 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Euphony, you could always ask your stylist for a recommendation....?

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Wow Everett would be a lot closer for Doodlesmart. I'd forgotten about your wonderful stylist spidermom! Hopefully I can find one around Portland.

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Euphony, you could always ask your stylist for a recommendation....?
That's a thought, I'm going to see her this month so I'll see what she says. Not sure if she'd know anyone in that area, but she might.

Garnett
June 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
When I lived in PDX, I drove up to Spokane every once in awhile to visit family. It was exactly an 8.5 hour drive. If you're willing to do that, could you plan to visit ppl and get a trim at the same time?

ETA: Just read you're in Bham now, which makes the drive (if I remember correctly) only about 6 hours. Just a thought :)

And not really related, but I feel I have to share anyways; my BFF lives in Bellingham :)

Ursula
June 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Try Feye's method. I wouldn't dream of trimming my hair on my own, but using the elastic makes all the difference.

If you're nervious, maybe have your husband pull the elastic down your back, so that you are sure it is pulled straight down, rather than off to an angle, which is what made me nervious about trying this - pulling straight down my own back, arms don't want to bend that way!

But I actually can pull the elastic down on my own, it only took a couple trys to get the knack.

Euphony
June 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
The drive is 6 hours, and actually if I was doing then what I'm doing now I wouldn't mind it. But after we move I'll be getting trims about every month to two months...and I don't think there is anyone I'd think about coming up to visit, I'm awful about being a 'loner'. I have a couple of extremely good friends but they don't even live here. Very cool your BFF lives here Garnett! It's a beautiful area.

My shortest layer is bsl, it took me a year to get from bsl to waist. If all my hair was at tail bone I'd do the trims every 6 months like I do now, then I could certainly warrant coming up here - I could even write it off as a business expense (we use a supplier is Bellingham).

That is a really good idea Ursula about having my hubby pull the ponytail holder. If I ever get up the courage to do it myself, I will have him pull it for me.

Morag
June 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
hahaha I know Airmide is there, and she trims her own - if mine was the length of her gorgeous hair I wouldn't hesitate trimming it either since it'd be easier to bring around the front.

That is a wonderful idea, I'll have to keep my eyes open for LHCers in the area.

Maybe you could get Airmide to trim your hair, too. :)

chelles2kids
June 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I agree with the others about just trying it yourself. I found whenever I started self-trimming, I felt more confident in doing micro trims the first 3 or 4 times.
Each time I did another trim, I became more self-confident and it didn't worry me as much.

What I found was that if I had my husband or dd. or someone to pull the ponytail down for me, it was easy to pull it around and do the trim. It is almost impossible for me to pull it straight down the way you are supposed to do it, so I would defiantely suggest having a back-up person for this.

I figure that even if my hemline was a bit uneven, it was much better than getting a hack job at a salon. With wavy hair, even if your hemline ends up a bit "off" you still really can't tell.

So between now and then I would start saving a bit of money back to buy yourself a good set of hair cutting shears and start practicing, by the time you move you'll be a pro. at it.

Good luck with your move. We've just got settled after moving 3 states away, so I know what stress you'll be dealing with.

Michelle

Edited to add: I just saw Ursula's response, I guess we had the same idea.

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I 87th the Feye's trim method. I have been doing it for about 2 years too. The only problem I have had is that I would LIKE a straight across hemline but I always end up in a u-shape as you can tell from my siggy. :shrug: I sort of like it now that I am used to it though.

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it! I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

frizzinator
June 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I don't use elastic to trim, I simply part my hair in the middle to the nape and bring the halves in front of my shoulders. It's remarkably easy to cut it evenly. It does create a U shaped hemline, but I actually like it better than the straight around blunt cut.

Medvssa
June 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I will throttle someone if they cut too much off my hair.
If you say that to them, it might be a good incentive to cut only as much as you asked. Probably less :D

Chromis
June 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I wonder if Airmide's ears are burnin yet :D

I self trimmed there too so I'm no help either. The only people I knew there that went to stylists were all edgy short cuts.

Blueneko
June 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I have found that being firm and repetitive with a stylist works.

BLUNT BLUNT BLUNT. No layers, no fringe, no layers, no fringe. Blunt. Boring. Blunt and boring, no layers. Dust, don't cut. Just a dust. A TEENY dusting. No layers! Blunt only!

They some how hear me and trim a tiny bit and myseteriously do not add layers. I might look like an idiot with lame hair, but they get the message. This has worked on 2 different women thus far. I am confident that firm, repetitive instruction works.

Don't be scared!

MemSahib
June 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
In Feye's Method, when I pull the pony elastic down (after parting and pulling the respective sides to the front and trimming that way) I hold the pony hair securely in one hand and gently pull the elastic downward with the other until I can move the whole shebang up and over my head. I move my grip on the hair downward as the elastic goes down in order for everything to not shift. If I think I have shifted hairs, I start over with this. It has worked well for me.

Garnett
June 5th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I have found that being firm and repetitive with a stylist works.

BLUNT BLUNT BLUNT. No layers, no fringe, no layers, no fringe. Blunt. Boring. Blunt and boring, no layers. Dust, don't cut. Just a dust. A TEENY dusting. No layers! Blunt only!

They some how hear me and trim a tiny bit and myseteriously do not add layers. I might look like an idiot with lame hair, but they get the message. This has worked on 2 different women thus far. I am confident that firm, repetitive instruction works.

Don't be scared!

As a stylist, it's good when someone comes in with very precise wants, and instructions. It makes my job easier and ensures that they are happy with what I do. I gotta say though, acting as if every stylist is an idiot and repeat repeat repeat isn't going to do you any favours. Simply show them with your fingers what you want taken off and say "I am growing, I don't want layers, I don't want any more than this (hold fingers out), please and thank you" You can even say you're nervous and blah blah. Being overly repetitive is only insulting, IMO.

Also, I didn't know what 'dusting' was until I started at this board, and I'm pretty sure none of my friends (all stylists also) know what it means either. You may want to just specify with your fingers to avoid confusion over the word. Anyways..

Euphony
June 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM
So many of you have such good results with trimming your own hair, I'm so happy to hear that. I'll try it...not yet, I'm still going to have Kathy trim my hair this month. Next trim I'll try it, and I'll definitely have my husband help, maybe I'll set up a video stream with a live chat so everyone on this thread can help me out :grin: Hey if nothing else, that would be fun!