PDA

View Full Version : "What Your Part Says About You": Which Side do You Part Your Hair On?

Druid of Alba
December 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM
So, I found this really interesting, albeit slightly dubious article which claimed that people will subconciously make judgements on your character based on which side your hair is parted.
http://www.truemirror.com/theory00.asp (http://www.truemirror.com/theory00.asp)
Basically, the article claimed that if you part the hair on the right side of your head, and have it brushed over to the left, people will view you as being more creative, intuitive, spontaneous, emotional, and other attributes associated with the right side of the brain.
Thus, people who part their hair on the left, and brush it to the right, are seen as more logical, orderly, analytical, etc.
People with no part or a middle part are viewed as balanced and wise.
The article went on to say that men should prefer the left part, and women the right, as attributes of the left brain (logic, analytical skills) are traditionally "male", and attributes of the right brain (creativity, intuition) are traditionally "female", thus, women should prefer the right part. The exceptions to this are if a women wants to be taken seriously in a male-dominated job (then she'd use a left part) or if a man wants to be seen as more gentle, caring, and femenine (then he'd use the right part).
Personally, I don't really buy into any of it, espeically the gender-segregated partline, that was ridiculous, although I do think it's interesting. I'm a male, and I use the right part, and if people see me as being more femenine, and more creative and intuitive, I'm glad, I'd much rather be associated with the right brain, as I'm a very right-brained person.
Which side (or not) do you part your hair on, and why? I use the far, far right (at my temples, where everyones' hair naturally recedes a little, I flip it all towards the left) as I get more volume at the roots then if I parted my hair on the left anf flipped it all to the right. I have a longer face, so I'd never use the middle part. But hey, I guess the subconcious associations with having a right-side part, if they are true, are an added bonus!

HairFaerie
December 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hmmmmm...very interesting, indeed!

My hair naturally parts on the left. I have somewhat of a "cowlick" on the left and if I try a right part or middle part, it just doesn't look right because of it.

I wonder what that says about me?!?!

Avital88
December 17th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Haha that is so funny! My natural parting is left but i just recently part it in the middle because i like it more.But im so not orderly haha

spidermom
December 17th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I don't know about all that. I think such an article says more about the writer than about reading people's character in the way they part their hair. Puh-leeze! I only part mine if I'm doing something that I want to turn out somewhat symmetrical, like twin braids or twin buns. Even then, I don't part precisely because I don't like the look of a precise straight slash of scalp. So yeh, I guess that says something about me, but don't over-think it. I won't.

cmnt831
December 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Middle or left is where mine falls naturally. If I try to force it to part on the right, I get a bit of a headache. I do think too much generally - whatever that might mean. :D

rachelily
December 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Interesting! I am a design major, maybe there is a correlation ... lol. I part mine on the right because I tilt my head to the left when I write, and used to have it on the left but then when I tilted my head my bangs would fall in my face. It got very aggravating!

ddiana1979
December 17th, 2010, 01:11 PM
That's interesting. I part to the left, and I'm in a male-dominated scientific field.

I don't know *why* I started parting to the left. My mom made me part my hair down the center when I was living at home (which was not flattering to my face, as I have a large-ish nose), and when I left for college, I just started parting to the left. *shrug*

ingvild
December 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM
He. I part my hair on the left and I'm a chemical engineering student... *shifty eyes*

I've had my hair part that place since I was 13, though. It just looks better, and I don't really like how my face looks with a middle part, or especially not a part on the right side! My hairline grows into a point that is slightly off center, and it looks weird if I part it on the right side. Also painful on my scalp. :-P

megpeg
December 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM
That is pretty funny.

I part my hair on the right; always have pretty much. Usually it isn't a deep part. I've tried to switch my part to the other side but I think it looks funny for some reason. I used to like to wear my part in the middle but my grandmother didn't like it, so she quickly made me switch it to a side parting.

I suppose I part it on the right because I am right handed....I dunno. It just looks the best on the right side :) and this is generally where it tries to part itself if I comb it straight back.

They say if you are bored with your current look, change your part! It seems to make a big difference in your appearance, although, I don't like the "change" it gives me.

minicana
December 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I part my hair on the left too. I always have.

Angeletti
December 17th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I part my hair in a zig zag pattern, I wonder what they would say about that : )

Tia2010
December 17th, 2010, 01:30 PM
It always depended on my hair style . With my pixie I didn't wear a real part . As it grew it depended on which side I felt it looked better on that day. It varied daily from left to right to middle. I guess I'm just a jumbled mess who can't decide if she is creative , balanced or analytical :D

pepperminttea
December 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
My part naturally falls just a tiny bit on my left; but to all intents and purposes, it's a centre parting. I straighten it out with a hairstick post-wash, since it curves otherwise.

An interesting article, but my codswallop alarms were going haywire. :p

Intransigentia
December 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
If you want a really thorough, well-researched read debunking a lot of the popular left-brain/right-brain, masculine/feminine stuff that gets talked about, I'd strongly recommend Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine. It gets a bit academic, but it's a real eye-opener.

That said, I have always parted my hair on the left, as long as it's been long enough to part. Left to its own defices it parts in the middle, but that looks really, really bad on me.

bluesnowflake
December 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
My hair naturally parts on the left- not extreme, but just above my eye. I've never liked the way it looks parted on the right or parted way to the side (unless for an updo)- it just makes my face look odd. I don't really believe the personality thing, but it's neat to see how parting balances out.

Deborah
December 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I don't know if where we choose to part reveals our personality or not. I don't try to part it at all, but if left down it always naturally parts a bit to the left. It's not a choice for me; it's physical.

Lianna
December 17th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have a middle part most of the time and I'm not balanced at all. :p

caadam
December 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM
My hair parts straight down the middle with no coercing necessary. lol
Though I strive for balance and wisdom... sometimes I am lackluster.
Har har.
Other than that... an article like that might be fun to read, but I don't
take it very seriously.

ooo
December 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I know it's non-sense, because I'm the logical type that parts its hair on the left. :lol:

GoddesJourney
December 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I had it in the middle for awhile. I usually part my hair on the right side and put it over the left. I think it just feels more comfortable for me and it probably looks better with the shape of my face. I'm a woman, but I'm much more analytical and logical, less emotional. However, I'm also intuitive, creative, and spontaneous. For a long time, I had no part in my hair, but just pushed it back and let it fall where it fell. I had to make a part when I cut bangs.

Mirsha
December 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Part... part.. hmmmm! It shifts around. I prefer having it in the middle, or on the right (left handed, I like combing my hair when bored/stressed/etc). I zigzag when wearing pigtails :D

LadyG
December 17th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I have a right pointing widows peak in the front and a matching cowlick in the back. The only good place to part my hair is on the left. If I try to part in the center or right the front and back part flop back over to the left. Why fight Nature?

Hana212
December 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I too part mine on the left, and I work in the male dominated field of building and I just got a promotion.. awesome!

girlthursday
December 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I just part mine wherever it falls that day when I wake up. I wonder what it tells people about me if I'm always flipping back and forth; sometimes it even changes during the day. Of course, I don't put too much faith in the statement the article is making but it's interesting to think about.

akuamoonmaui
December 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I part mine on the left, or middle, but am creative and visual. Accountant, I am not.

crystal_89
December 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM
My part is on the left and I like to be analytical, logical and I'm also doing a science degree. I also agree that I am not creative or good with emotions.

However, since there are only three possibilities and only some parts are matching their 'assigned' personalities, it's looking like a bit of coincidence. And BS. :p

DARKMARTIAN
December 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hmmm.....I have more of a central part...but it can actually fall a bit on either side too....

No wonder at metal concerts I keep getting flashes of logic and creativity and start over analyzing whether or not I should get another beer now or wait a few minutes. I gotta be careful with my headbangin skills now though because these particular concerts arent often the best place to been seen as a caring, gentle, and feminine guy when those right-side parts begin to form....:o

thatjengirl1
December 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I wear my hair down the middle because that's the way it goes. but sometimes I part it on the left and brush it to the right.

Synthemesc
December 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Have my hair parted on the right, and I'm very much an artist.

C. sinensis
December 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Middle, it must be the middle! I can't stand having my hair be off-center. :p

(As for left-versus-right brain, it really depends on the subject. Balanced, I guess?)

JuneBride
December 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
My hair naturally parts on the right, and it's very stubborn and refuses to part any other way!!! I wonder what that's all about ?!?! Hahaha!!!

Gilly
December 17th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I have my part on the left, is that good or bad????

Juneii
December 17th, 2010, 10:35 PM
lol, this is silly. Although I do make judgement on the condition of another person's hair. More like comparing my hair to theirs and feeling happy about mine >__>

p.s. always parted my hair on the left - which is weird because I always tilt my head to the left when I write making the hair fall right into my face! I tried parting to the right today, it just felt weird.

Coan-Teen
December 17th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I usually part my hair on the left but I've recently switched to a middle part for aesthetic reasons. I started doing it because my nose naturally tilts to the left a bit and having my hair fall heavier on the opposite side was more pleasing at a shorter length. Now that my hair is around shoulder length, I find it looks better with a middle part. I haven't noticed anyone reacting to me any differently. ^_^

boomtownrat
December 17th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I change the way mine is parted fairly often when I want a change, but it naturally wants to part on the right and that's where it usually ends up being parted once it's long enough to get in my eyes (like, say, right now, as it's too long to just push all my bangs forward as I grow out the pixie). On my right front hairline I have a really bad cowlick and parting on the left is usually a pain for that reason alone, unless I force it into submission with styling products or barrettes/clips. Not that I'm saying it means anything, but I'm a writer, have performed in a band and in plays, and enjoy dabbling in arts and design, so I do fit the creative = right part type.

Interestingly, I do remember being in middle school and hearing some girls I knew talk a lot of crap about girls who didn't part their hair on the right or in the middle because only guys parted on the left. Of course, I'm talking adolescence, when girls are often the meanest.

lapushka
December 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
My hair's parted on the right because it naturally falls that way, period. Articles like that are total BS to me even if it was dead-on, but it isn't. :lol:

feralnature
December 18th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My hair naturally parts on the right. I am an artist.

Avvoltoio
December 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I part my hair on right, and i am a software developer, so i need to have good logic for it, majbe there are other effects, like i am left handed, and all of this works inversely for me.

MNoelH
December 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I part my hair on the left because I'm right handed and when I would have to style my bangs, it was easier to do on my right side (which is where the majority would be with a left part).

Buddaphlyy
December 18th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I don't have a natural part as my hair grows up and out and never falls. So I guess I am a no part person.

And when I do use a comb to make a part, I usually make it in the middle.

eezepeeze
December 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I part my hair on the right, above the peak in my eyebrow.

I've always been told that people who are right-handed part on the left, and that lefties part on the right.

Well, I'm right-handed and I part on the right. I think I started doing it that way because I wanted it out of my way when writing and reading.

I am right-brained, though. Huh. Who knows? Might be something to it, although it seems a little fishy.

MaKenna90
December 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I part mine on the right because of a cowlick. But i cant say that I am spontaneous or creative. =)

Charlotte:)
July 12th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Well, my hair is naturally parted on the left side, but I'm a very creative/imaginative artist and not very logical at all... Maybe this just means I'm a rebel :)

Joliebaby
July 13th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Often I have a center part, but if I make a side part it's on the right. And my work is highly creative:) Could be coincidence.

But what I read somewhere is that most people's face is slightly asymmetrical and that you should part above the "prettier" side to draw the eye there :D And that a center part works the best if your face is symmetrical.

Cania
July 13th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Interesting. I've been painting and drawing for as long as I can remember and pick up new instruments really easily, and I part to the right. My boyfriend simply cannot learn to play, or draw, but has an interest in science that I can never quite get my head around, and he parts to the left.. We would be an excellent example, then :P

tabby28
July 13th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I centre part because side parts nearly always look silly with my curls (I just can't get them right!).

But, sometimes my hairdresser side parts for me when she does my hair and then she usually parts it on the left, but sometimes on the right. I honestly like it both ways, when she does it, because it looks great either way.

I am both creative (illustrator) and logical (my parents were a scientist and mathematician), and I like both art and science. Perhaps thats why I centre part?

emma907
July 13th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Hmmm Strange, I have no idea what my natural part would be, I part on the left and have done for months now due to Alopecia Areata so not sure there is any truth in this... Even before I used to change my part regularly...

nobeltonya
July 13th, 2011, 05:11 AM
My hair naturally parts almost in the middle [slightly to the left]. I maintain whatever part is there when I take it out of my towel turban.. I don't try to part it, because it won't cooperate. It seems to like being in the middle. *shrugs* And, I find that it stays out of my face much better than with a side part.

SC
July 13th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Thus, people who part their hair on the left, and brush it to the right, are seen as more logical, orderly, analytical, etc.

I part my hair on the left because I try to grow out my bangs, every time I've cut it I go back to middle part. But this kind of describes me, I'm very analytical, though I can be creative as well :D, very nice.

Elistariel
July 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
As a kid my mom told me that girls part their hair on one side and boys on the other. Can't remember which was which though now. I part my hair on the left. Mainly because of my seat belt. Yep, seat belts. I often wear my hair in a simple, low side braid and if my braid were over my left-shoulder it'd get caught in the seat belt. So my braid goes over my right shoulder and thus my hair is parted on the left side.

So maybe the left part = logical thing does have a grain of truth to it. (At least where your steering wheel is on the left side of the car. :p )

mellie
July 13th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Very strange paper, I read it all the way through. Although it is interesting, I don't agree with it and think it might be based on old, traditional gender ideas. I don't think that people make judgments on us based on our parts. For one, we all have cowlicks of one sort or another, and that usually plays a part (haha!) in how we wear our hair. Also, most of us do not have perfectly symmetrical faces, so often wearing our part differently can help make up for that as well. Also, I happen to have a round face, and it looks much "thinner" if I wear a center part. So I think it matters more what looks most attractive for us (regardless of gender).

JuliaDancer
July 13th, 2011, 06:31 AM
The side people choose to part on often just depends on the pattern of their hair, not personality. My hair will NOT part on the left (mostly right, sometimes middle), and I am definitely the logical type. I've always enjoyed math and science, I studied civil/environmental engineering, and I work in a heavily male-dominated industry (construction management). This "theory" also flies out the window for lefties, whose brains work in the opposite direction... And it only works when the person looking at your part knows the theory...

pink.sara
July 13th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Lol! What a load of old cobblers!
Although I did laugh because to be taken seriously in a "male dominated, logical role" I would need to part my hair on the left, which would reveal my bright pink streak. Perhaps subconsciously that's why I put it there.... To be seen as all round creative fun and girly?! *Heavy use of sarcasm*

mellie
July 13th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Haha, love it, Pink Sara! :D

Becky9679
July 13th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I generally let my hair part naturally which is more or less dead centre. If I change it I'll always put the part on the left but not too far over. A right sided parting looks odd on me (I think it does anyway). I doubt this says much about my personality though!

xyris
July 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I change the parting in my hair all the time and usually wear it on the right or left. Parting in the middle isn't very flattering on me.

Silverdragn7385
July 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Over the years, I've had my hair parted on the left, on the right, and in the middle. It's currently parted on the right. I do prefer it to be parted on the left, but my bangs don't feather as prettily when it's parted on that side. :(

Mesmerise
July 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM
As a child and young teen I wore a middle part, and then when I was about 15 or so (not quite sure) I changed to left (no idea why lol) and I've been on the left ever since! I was thinking about it the other day and wondering if I should change it, just for the heck of it...but oddly, the thought of parting on the right just doesn't sit with me well at all! It would just seem all wrong lol.

Now, as for it being the "male side" errm... I don't know about that. I certainly aren't trying to compete in a "male job" and I don't really want to be seen as logical etc.

I just prefer the left part!

lilalong
July 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM
My own part is on the left, because I think that looks best - which would imply logic and structurally dominated. Questionable, but ok, fine.

Here's my problem: I fix my part while looking in the mirror and the mirror-me has her part on the right. Does it mean I am actually more creative, because I think that way looks best on me? Or do I merely judge myself more creative while looking into the mirror? Or is my subconscious able to compensate for the mirror effect and I'm in fact more logical?

I would also like to know since when are being logical/analytical and being creative opposites? Since when are they even on the same spectrum? Personally, I am both to a very high degree.

GoatLady
July 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I used to always part on the right. But since finding LHC and reading how always having the part in the same spot might not be a good idea, now I mix it up and move my part around every day. Does this mean I come across as confused? :confused:

RitaCeleste
July 13th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I part mine on the left. Even if it is dyed clown red, it parts on the left. I have no problem with anyone expecting me to be logical. :D My hair doesn't look orderly, the part isn't neat. I don't think anyone takes me one bit more seriously because of the side I part on. If I part on the right, I'll look completely crazy cause hair will stick up and look very weird.

Celtic Morla
July 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM
The hwole left right thing hasmor eto do with socities tendency to order certain things a certain way as to what is more feminine masculine ITO. When taking photos you have the same attitude and since people get "used" to those "poses" they feel it is wierd if they are taken the opposite way. Sort of liek how you see yourself in a mirror then see a photo and it just doesn't quite look "right"

duckhugger
July 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I parted my hair in the middle all my life until I cut my hair off last summer then I started parting to the right. there is a big cowlick that naturally falls to the left so I just decided to go with the flow... ya know?

eternalknot
July 21st, 2011, 03:33 AM
Which side (or not) do you part your hair on, and why?

I'm just right of center. I suppose that makes me balanced with a hint of creativity LOL.

It's my natural part, and has always been.

Signe
July 21st, 2011, 03:42 AM
ihave gone through right, left, and center phases. i would say that left is my standard natural part, but i wear it regularly other ways.

Jezerellica
July 21st, 2011, 04:12 AM
There is a pic of me as a kid with low left parted long hair. Now I am a low right hair parter. Wonder when it changed and why. That pic is on my FB page. he he. *sigh*

Raiscake
July 21st, 2011, 04:15 AM
I just switched back to a left part after doing a center part for a few months. I tend to go back and forth a lot, depending on my mood and what bangs I have. Right now, I have none so the part doesn't matter much. I like both parts on me. :D

Of the Fae
July 21st, 2011, 05:08 AM
I part on the left side, but I am an art student.. and a chaotic person :P So that kinda wrecks the theory does it not?

lingxi
July 21st, 2011, 07:24 AM
Back when I had a side fringe I parted on the left, now it's down the middle cause obviously fringes don't like me and I don't like them :)

Jing
July 21st, 2011, 07:50 AM
I parted it in the middle as a kid. Nowadays I part it a bit over an inch to my left simply because it's the only thing that works with all my cowlicks.