PDA

View Full Version : Sickbed Dreads...My Story

1953Diygal
December 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I was in the hospital this fall for the first time in my life. I was in a coma with machines doing my breathing, had double pneumonia which turned septic, and had something known as Systemic Inflamatory Response Syndrome. Fortunately, I was in an amazing hospital with fantastic doctors and nurses and I owe them my life.

When I was in the coma, a wonderful nurse put my hair up in a bun. It was still pretty tangled when I was awake and able to shower. I had a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder, which limited my mobility but the nurses helped me to comb it out.

When I returned home, due to being run down and having a taxed immune system, I immediately got the flu (partnered with oral thrush and pink eye). I was basically bedridden, couldn't eat for two weeks aside from Ensure nutrition drinks because my mouth was like a big open sore, and couldn't see well because of the sulfa antibiotic drops I was prescribed.

I didn't have the foresight to put my hair into braids or put it in a sleep bonnet so, within days, my hair matted into one huge dreadlock. When I say "huge," I mean that my entire head of hair, aside from my bangs, was matted together. In addition to being sick, whenever I looked in the mirror, I was devastated. I prayed and prayed for the sores in my mouth to be gone so I could eat and for the flu to go away.

Finally, by the grace of my Higher Power, I was able to play through the pain and two days before Thanksgiving, I forced myself to start eating solid food. Within days of being able to eat, my body was able to fight off the flu and the infections.

Okay...on to the hair stuff.

We were having intermittent Internet issues here at the house which prevented me from logging on to TLHC so I had to kind of "wing it." Based on the knowledge I've gathered from the site, I thought I could do mermaid soaks and use really cone-intensive conditioners and maybe the mats would just kind of melt away. I stocked up on tons and tons of Pantene products and gave it a shot.

Unfortunately, the mats were waaaaay beyond melting away. In fact, according to my Hair Guru Roger Micheletty, he said I actually made the matting worse by getting my hair wet. He said getting it wet made the dreads lock up more than if I had left it dry. Plus, the conditioner built up and turned the dreads into miniature "hair candles."

What it took to get the mats out was to just have friends and family break them down with the tail end of a rat tail comb and then comb out the ends with a pick comb. My friend Rose went online and looked up sites that gave instructions for breaking down/unlocking dreadlocks.

I won't lie. It wasn't pretty. It's a good thing I'm not a tenderhead. The intensity that it took to get rid of those mats would probably make most members here cringe. It took 7 people (including myself) spending hours of detangling and 1 month to get rid of the mats. I spent 8 hours yesterday getting rid of the last of the dreads and wound up carefully snipping to free me from the last big mat. The mat I cut out of my hair is huge and it looks like a Tribble or a bad toupee. I saved it as a little souveneir. What's interesting is you can't even tell that I cut it out. There are no bald spots since that was all hair that was supposed to fall out of my head naturally during the last month!

What's funny is that I had three hair stylists working on it. One thought my hair was extensions. Two of them just told me to cut off all my hair and that getting rid of the mats just couldn't be done. Roger was the only one that rallied for me and helped me to keep my hair.

What I learned:
1. When you're sick, have the foresight to put your hair into braids or a satin sleep bonnet and have someone help you to occasionally brush or comb your hair.

2. Do not get your hair wet if it's matted. Mats are much easier to get out when they're dry.

3. Start detangling from the ends and work your way up the length.

4. You will only be able to free up small sections at a time, even just a few strands at a time.

5. Ask for help!!!! It's incredibly hard to detangle the back of your head (even without a torn rotator cuff).

6. You may need to do some judicious snipping. Some tangles just can't be broken down.

7. My friend Astrid used L'oreal kid's detangling spray (in the orange bottle) and that actually worked REALLY well---way better than the Pantene.

Wow. That was pretty long. If anybody has any good info to add regarding getting out mats, feel free to share them!

DreadfulWoman
December 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Oh wow, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :grouphug:

I don't have any advice to add on removing knots - I cultivate mine. ;) I guess the only one I would add is don't panic, because it seems like that would be a quick way to end up cutting/ tearing your hair unnecessarily.

trolleypup
December 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM
*hugs*

Glad that you are in better health and 100% accidental dread free!

rhysiana
December 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Goodness! So glad to hear that you're better and managed to get your hair untangled. I'm impressed you had that much patience; as far as I know, patience and persistence are the best ways to get out tangles, as you discovered. I probably would have ended up cutting them all off. Good for you!

1953Diygal
December 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Dreadful Woman, I love your hair! Actually, and I should have added this, I have ALWAYS wanted a beautifully cultivated head of long, beautiful dreads. In fact, I asked Roger how realistic it would be to just dread the rest of my hair.

You're right about not panicking. When I saw how bad the matting was getting, it actually made me freak out and not want to do anything to it out of utter despair.

My boyfriend asked me several times if he could brush my hair and put it in braids (how lucky I am to have a boyfriend who is hair-savvy) but I just groaned and put the blankets over my head. A stitch in time does indeed save nine.

adiapalic
December 17th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I am amazed at what you have pulled through. That is some serious stuff. I'm so happy you were able to save your hair in the process, that must have made you feel a lot better after being through everything. I'm so very happy for you--I hope you're feeling better these days. :flower:

triumphator!
December 17th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Good heavens! You sound like you've had an extremely rough couple of months! I am so glad to hear that you are better! And as for your hair, it may be a bit demoralizing to have to go through all that matting and unlocking, but it will recover right along with you. You are truly blessed to have so many nice people help you with you hair. Here's wishing you continued health :flower:

pepperminttea
December 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Cripes, that sounds really terrifying, let alone the dreading; I'm glad you're okay (and successfully detangled). :grouphug:

claram89
December 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM
When I brushed out my on-purpose dreadlocks, I used a heat protector w/ olive oil spray to make the hair really really slippery. It worked wonderfully!

DreadfulWoman
December 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Dreadful Woman, I love your hair! Actually, and I should have added this, I have ALWAYS wanted a beautifully cultivated head of long, beautiful dreads. In fact, I asked Roger how realistic it would be to just dread the rest of my hair.

You're right about not panicking. When I saw how bad the matting was getting, it actually made me freak out and not want to do anything to it out of utter despair.

My boyfriend asked me several times if he could brush my hair and put it in braids (how lucky I am to have a boyfriend who is hair-savvy) but I just groaned and put the blankets over my head. A stitch in time does indeed save nine.

I actually started mine off the 'natural' way as well, but for me starting my dreads meant camping for weeks on end, and sleeping on the beach under the stars. I don't think I would have been so inclined to keep them if they had started out in a hospital bed. I'm really happy for you that you have recovered from your illness, and that you got your hair back. :)

Thank you for posting about your experience, btw. I think you may have saved some longhairs from future pain and suffering by doing so. ;)

1953Diygal
December 17th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I actually started mine off the 'natural' way as well, but for me starting my dreads meant camping for weeks on end, and sleeping on the beach under the stars. I don't think I would have been so inclined to keep them if they had started out in a hospital bed. I'm really happy for you that you have recovered from your illness, and that you got your hair back. :)

Thank you for posting about your experience, btw. I think you may have saved some longhairs from future pain and suffering by doing so. ;)

Thanks. :) I had the pleasure (ha ha) of having a spinal tap (I refer to it as the ultimate body piercing) and most recently, a bone marrow biopsy because my white cells have been elevated but I'm thinking positively.

I really thought for awhile that I was going to have to cut off my hair and start all over again. I'm glad I didn't.

Xandergrammy
December 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
What a scary thing to have happen! (the illness, not the dreads). I'm glad you're feeling better. I work in a drug and alcohol rehab and we sometimes get patients who have neglected their hygiene for awhile and have badly matted hair. I found that Circle of Friends Abebi's Safari Detangler works miracles. You still have to be patient and use quite a bit of it, but it works like a charm every time.

Wind Dragon
December 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
My goodness, woman -- :grouphug:s for all that you've been through, and it's so good to see you!

breezefaerie
December 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Thank goodness you are well!

Dragon
December 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I am glad you are better now and managed to get all those dreads out. That must have been scary.

cindy58
December 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Wow -- I hope you can put all this scary health stuff behind you soon!

Glad that you were able to untangle your hair, as well!

Feel better soon!

Alvrodul
December 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
What a horrifying experience! :grouphug:

You should make an article out of this and put it up in the articles section so that it will be available if somebody needs it. I hote nobody ever will need it, but if the need is there, it will be desperate!

GRU
December 17th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Let me add one for your list:

What I learned:

8. Needing to pick apart dreaded tangles will show you who your real friends are!

Not surprisingly, my hair LOVES to tangle and mat up. When I was pregnant, I made arrangements to stop by a friend's house on the way to the hospital so she could French braid my hair for me so I didn't have to worry about it in the hospital (this turned out to be an extra-good idea, as I ended up having a c-section).

Several years later, when she was bed-bound in the hospital with pre-term labor, she ended up with an icky matted mess on her own head, and I came and picked out her mats and gave her braided pigtails (fortunately her hair was between shoulder and APL, so it wasn't such an incredible ordeal as you went through!).

Neither one of us has ever needed it since, but it's always nice to know you've got a hair-friendly friend you can count on when you need it!

So glad you're feeling better, and I wish you the best of luck on your test results too!

bluesnowflake
December 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I'm so sorry- both for the terrible sickness and for your hair troubles. I'm glad both eventually worked out, and thanks for warning the rest of us so we don't have to go through that!

1953Diygal
December 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Neither one of us has ever needed it since, but it's always nice to know you've got a hair-friendly friend you can count on when you need it!

Absolutely!! And what's kind of funny is that each person who worked on breaking down the mats got into it after awhile. They described it as being almost like figuring out a puzzle or playing with a Rubic's Cube.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. When in the hospital, they sent me for an MRI, which was done right after the spinal tap. The techs actually stopped the MRI because they thought my hair was starting to catch on fire. They asked if there were any metal bobby pins in it. I had no idea since a nurse had put it up in a bun for me. I think they jumped the gun a little. There were no metal hair pins and no sign of smouldering hair so who knows what they were seeing.

redwoman
December 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Wow, just wanted to say that you are an incredibly strong person to make it through all that sickness and near death. And I'm happy for you that you got the dread out of your hair.

Tia2010
December 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm glad your feeling better !! and I'm glad everything worked out with your hair :)

MandyBeth
December 17th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Just so you know, your ends need all the protection you can give them, and you may need a pretty large trim. Keep getting better and prayers that the tests come back fine!

Arya
December 17th, 2010, 03:47 PM
My sister's hair is in a constant battle against mats. She considered dreads, but she'd lose credibility in Central America...they treat dreaded North Americans so seriously there.

cuppycake
December 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I have had dreads 3 times. They are very hard to comb out. My hair was only shoulder length at the time.

I am glad you got ur hair back to where u wanted it. And that u are better now! So sorry you had to go through all of that :(

DecafJane
December 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm just so glad that you are okay. :grouphug: Take care!

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 03:46 AM
:( Thanks for posting this! I had a similar experience. Braids can get untanled, so I stick with buns now..

julliams
January 10th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I wonder if what you had was all those hairs that would have naturally fallen out (like up to 100 per day), just kind of get caught up together.

I'm sorry to hear that you went through all of that and I hope that things are looking up now and you are able to move forward.

JaneinMarch
January 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Thank you for sharing your ordeal. Glad to hear you're back to 100% and your perseverance to save your hair is awesome.

I'd also say that one shouldn't give up hope if your hair seems permanently tangled. When I was a senior in high school, I freaked out with all the stress and stopped combing my hair for some months. I could comb over the top of it, but that was about it. It was in a constant lumpy ponytail. I finally got the courage to tell my mom about it, and she took me to a salon to see what could be done. Unfortunately I am tenderheaded, but it took a few hours and the patience of a lovely woman to comb it all out. I wore it straight for a while after that.

kwaniesiam
January 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Yikes, glad to hear you're doing better now.

I've had dreads and combed them out twice in my life, it was not pretty and took a very long time. The thing that helped me the most was soaking it in a very slippery conditioner while DRY, then working the knots out from the bottom up very carefully and doing an ACV rinse to keep the cuticle as smooth as possible so it wouldn't rough up any more than it already had.

lascuba
January 10th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Wow, what a terrifying experience that must have been! I'm so glad you're recovered.

And I know that the matted hair sucked for you, but I can't help but smile imagining your friends helping you detangle. That's really sweet.

1953Diygal
January 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm noticing that I did lose quite a bit of hair from my canopy and from the area where the back of your head hits the pillow. If I run my f ingers through my hair, I can feel the stubble from all of the baby hairs that are growing in. I also have a piece that's about 2 inches long and sticks out where I impatiently snipped.

I'd say my overall thickness went from a ii to a iii. My buns and braids are much smaller.

In the overall scheme of things, though, these things matter very little to me. ;) I still love my hair.

Alvrodul
January 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I'm noticing that I did lose quite a bit of hair from my canopy and from the area where the back of your head hits the pillow. If I run my f ingers through my hair, I can feel the stubble from all of the baby hairs that are growing in. I also have a piece that's about 2 inches long and sticks out where I impatiently snipped.

I'd say my overall thickness went from a ii to a iii. My buns and braids are much smaller.

In the overall scheme of things, though, these things matter very little to me. ;) I still love my hair.
You can at least console yourself that your hair will grow out again - is already sprouting, in fact!
If a bit of hair loss was the only side effect of your terrifying illness, I think you may count yourself lucky - it could have been so much worse! :blossom: